Offical 2010 BBQ Thread!!! Post your pics!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woundedyak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    SouthSide
    Quick question:

If once the internal temp of meat reaches 140 degrees the meat stops absorbing smoke, then why not just smoke the ribs for an hour or so, then just wrap them up in foil and toss them in the oven?

I've never tried it, but I'm curious if anyone else has and if they taste the same.

I'm asking, because I'm currently smoking ribs for later tonight, but it would be great if I didn't have to go out several times to keep adding wood chunks if they aren't even necessary.

It should take at least 3 hrs for your Ribs to hit 140. When smoking, you want the meat to come up slow. As the temp starts to come up, the tissues will start to open up. That's were the smoke inbeds itself into the connecting tissues. Less smoke is better. IMO if you just blast the ribs with heavy smoke and heat, They come out tuff and bitter. A method that I use is called 3-2-1. Rub down your ribs with your favorite rub....Thick! About an hour before you start to Que'. Put ribs on for 3hrs with nice,thin,blue smoke at 200-215. Foil for 2hrs at 225-230. This would be a good time to squirt some apple cider on the ribs and/or add chucks of apple. Unfoil and put back on the grill at 225-230 for about 30-45min. Add your sauce of choice about the last 10min. Hope this helps

Last edited:

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    It should take at least 3 hrs for your Ribs to hit 140. When smoking, you want the meat to come up slow. As the temp starts to come up, the tissues will start to open up. That's were the smoke inbeds itself into the connecting tissues. Less smoke is better. IMO if you just blast the ribs with heavy smoke and heat, They come out tuff and bitter. A method that I use is called 3-2-1. Rub down your ribs with your favorite rub....Thick! About an hour before you start to Que'l. Put ribs on for 3hrs with nice,thin,blue smoke at 200-215. Foil for 2hrs at 225-230. This would be a good time to squirt some apple cider on the ribs and/or add chucks of apple. Unfoil and put back on the grill at 225-230 for about 30-45min. Add your sauce of choice about the last 10min. Hope this helps

using the ole' texas crutch huh:D but yeah +1 on less smoke. people think when we say smoking we aren't talking about a massive amount, the smoke should never overpower the meat.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I'll keep this going. since there was talk of big bob gibsons I figure I'll give you guys his recipe(the real one) for his white bbq sauce.

1 cup- mayo
    1 cup- apple cider vinegar
    1 tbs.- lemon juice
    1-1/2 tbs.- black pepper
    1/2 tsp.- finely ground kosher salt
    1/4 tsp.- cayenne pepper

combine it all in a bowl and whisk together. use it to because it only keeps for about 4 days.

Last edited:

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    Speaking of smokers, some friends of mine and I are thinking about making one of these this summer. The only hard part will be deciding who's house it stays at.

big_smokey.jpg

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    one of my originals and personal favorites, maple bourbon BBQ sauce.

1/4 cup-butter
    2-1/2 cups- finely diced onion
    1-1/4 cups-apple cider vinegar
    3/4 cup-molasses
    1-1/4 cups- REAL maple syrup
    1/2 cup-bourbon(I use jim beam)
    1-1/2 cups- ketchup
    1-1/4 cup- orange juice
    1/4 cup- worcestershire sauce
    1-1/4 tsp.- black pepper
    3 tsp.- salt

melt the butter in a sauce pan then add the oil. saute' the onions until they are translucent. add the vinegar, molasses, and maple syrup and stir until its dissolved. then add everything else, stir to blend and bring to a boil. reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, cool and enjoy.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    am I the only one with recipes???? well here is another one.

GRILLED FRUIT SKEWERS WITH A SPICY MAPLE CUMIN GLAZE

1/2 cup- pure maple syrup
    1/4 tsp.- ground cumin
    1/4 tsp.- ground cinnamon
    1/4 tsp- cayenne pepper

4 cups of fruit chunks(Ilike peaches, pineapples and bananas)
    bamboo skewers

soak the skewers in water and set aside. combine the glaze ingredients in a bowl and mix well, add the fruit and toss to coat. cover and refrigerate.

with the grill hot thread the fruit on the skewers put on the grill and cook until browned and caramelized.

Top Bottom