Ode To The Swedish Mess Kit (The Bergquist Motherland)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Ode To The Swedish Mess Kit (The Motherland)

Borrowed from ZS. author crypto

Some of you have probably still not seen the amazing Swedish Mess Kits that are all over the surplus market, so I thought I'd make this post showing them off.

They're typically $5 to $8 depending on where you get them from, and they're pretty much bombproof.
    closed.jpg

They stand about 10" tall, 6" wide, and 4" deep. There is a stainless steel pot with a bale and pan with a handle (and loops on the handle to shove a stick into). The pan lid covers the pot, and they both nest into a aluminum windscreen.

Now, the jewel of the Swedish Mess Kit is the brass Trangia stove contained inside.

open.jpg

trangia-and-bottle.jpg

The Trangia stove is a brass alcohol jet stove that has no moving parts, and is pretty much indestructible. I rolled mine down the mountain at Z-Con and it was no worse off. If you've ever seen a pepsi can stove then you know how these operate you pour alcohol in the center, it flows to the sides, vaporizes, and comes out the jets. Easy peasy. It's heavier than a pepsi can stove but is also not made out of aluminum foil.

jet-stove2.jpg

To use the mess kit, you place the Trangia stove inside the windscreen, and flip the supports up, like so:

trangia-in-screen.jpg

Pour enough alcohol in the stove to cook your food. It takes about an ounce of fuel to boil a cup of water. Light the stove, and put either a pot or a pan on top:

pot-on-stove.jpg

This stove generates quite a bit of heat, and boils a pot of water in 5-7 minutes depending on temp. The windscreen is totally effective, and the fact that it is custom made for the pot and pan means that very little heat escapes around the cookware.

When you're done cooking, you have two options. Either let the stove burn out, or place the cap back on it. The flame will extinguish, and once it cools you can thread it on tight. The rubber gasket inside the cap will prevent fuel leaks. I don't know whether heat will eventually degrade the gasket, so I usually just let it burn down and cool off before putting it away. If you do it like that you could even throw out the cap and save a few ounces.

Speaking of ounces, thats the only complaint about the Swedish Mess Kit. It has too many of them, being designed to be GI-proof.

mess-kit-scale.jpg

2 pounds, 14.25 ounces. Almost 3 pounds. However, if you consider that's a stove, a windscreen, a pot and pan, and enough fuel for 3-4 days, thats not too bad.

Anyway, go get one. They're dirt cheap, and indestructible. You'll be ready to invade Finland and Norway on a full stomach, or at least bug out without worrying about a broken stove.

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    that looks like a pretty nice setup. So where do you buy them?

a quick check of Ebay finds them for a bit more then $8.

m39fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    Owen County
    I bought mine a while back from Sportsman's Guide. We love them! Like Karl says, they're indestructible and dependable. Hard to find much of anything with that description anymore!

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I'm not sure where to find them now. I may have a few to spare, but being the typical hoarder, its hard to get rid of good deals no matter how many you have (I'm not telling how many I bought). Next time I'm in the attic I'll see how many I have and if I sell any I'll sell them here. Until then, don't give up, keep looking, even at $8 each on ebay its a pretty good deal because I paid $5 each for mine.

BTW, I did get mine from Sportsmandguide.

And my most recent deal was over 1000 yards of various sizes of cotton webbing for less than $50. With some of the free Nexus buckles I have I can make plenty of slings and other webbing gear. I might even take a vest/heavy shirt or something and try to make a molle vest. Who knows what I'll do, but I'm sure the gov paid several hundred dollars for what I got.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I'm not sure where to find them now. I may have a few to spare, but being the typical hoarder, its hard to get rid of good deals no matter how many you have (I'm not telling how many I bought). Next time I'm in the attic I'll see how many I have and if I sell any I'll sell them here. Until then, don't give up, keep looking, even at $8 each on ebay its a pretty good deal because I paid $5 each for mine.

You saw them for $8 on ebay, the last one I saw went for over $40!!!!!!!

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    OK Karl, you know I covet one of yours. If you run across a spare kit, let me know.

BTW, as far as I know, he is not selling any complete kits of his or so he has told me.

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    All I have is the Brass stove, Fuel bottle and wind screen.
    Highly coveted by Backpackers who use the stove with Titanium pots.

Top Bottom