• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brown

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Figured this is the only location for a topic like this.
    As we attended the downtown Indy OC walk this past Saturday my wife and kids came along for support and for the kids to learn about some of their rights.

Anyway,just as we get ready to walk out of the meeting spot my wife gets a bug bite of some sort on her left upper thigh on the inner side that bit hard enough she teared up (no pictures forthcoming!). Short inspection and it is a red spot about the size of a dime. We finish the walk and by this time it is really irritated and hurting. over the time frame of Saturday afternoon to Monday morning it expands out to roughly the size of a sheet of paper!Very red,raised app 1/8",white bit spot in the center,Itches like crazy,hot to the touch,also feels like pins pricking into skin.

She goes to the doc and is told it is not a allergic reaction but she now has a skin infection caused by this bug from h***.Puts her on anti-biotic,prednizone,anti-histimine,low dose pain killer!

Looks like she will be just fine in a couple days but I am racking my brain to figure out what kind of bug could have done this. Bit her through the jeans and she found no culprit or stinger of any sort.

So what is the thought of the population. Bee,ant,wasp,new super bug,or did the govt do an implant on one of us for tracking!HAHAHA!

IDCC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Orange County
    I got a bite exactly like that on my right upper arm almost 2 years ago. It got so badly infected that the doctor had to drain it. I still have a lump there. We never did figure out what caused it.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Thats what happens when you go to the inner city. Might have been one of those Zombie Bugs. Watch out.

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    Yep, sounds like a Brown Recluse, they like to hang out in clothing. Wife got bit by one years ago, not an experience I would want to repeat. Do you live in an old house? HH

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    Not normally deadly, but tissue necrosis is a serious issue. The wife had a 'hole' in the top of her thigh for several years that was about the size of a halved golf ball....

HH

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    My buddy has been bitten somewhere around 6 times by one. Everytime it was when they went out in the field for training, looks like he's been shot where they are. Kinda creepy

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Really keep an eye on it if you suspect a recluse. You've already seen the doctor. That's good. If it starts to get dark get back to the doctor.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Thankfully, the odds are against it being a recluse. He's in Brownsburg. Those critters are fairly rare at these latitudes. However, they ARE becoming more common as natural territory expands.

But it still does sound like a spider bite to me; as if something was trapped in the pants as she put them on/wore them.

Or, in all honesty, it could be an infected follicle / boil.

-J-

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Wow. I wouldn't think if it was a BR it would have spread out like that. Usually their bites contain themselves within an area the size of a softball or so and it would be a little worse pain.

Most likely a spider bite of some kind but I'm not sure either. You might call an insect bite-ologist as I'm sure there's one down at IUMed. :): I don't know their official title but insect bite-ologist sounded good to me! :)

Sorry this happened on the walk. Hope she gets beter with the meds. Prayers for your wife!

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I've been thinking about this. What are the chances that a brown recluse could have stowed away in here clothing and only bite after a few hours of being stuck there. I still vote spider bite, but probably not a stow away recluse. I hope she feels better. Keep us posted.

Top Bottom