OC and a sheep in a Lexus (at my kids' school)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    My oldest (18) daughter came over today. My 4 yr old daughter was here all day because school is out. My boys (11, 7, and 6) were at school. My girls and I walked the 6 blocks from my house to to the school so my boys could walk home (seeing how nice it was outside today).

As most of you know, I OC. I also know where the property lines are at this specific school so as to not break any laws.

While I was waiting on the sidewalk with my girls (on the curb side of the sidewalk nonetheless) some douche canoe came over to me and we had the following conversation:

(the bell had just rang and there were tons of kids running to their parents who were there to pick up the kids)

Douche: Excuse me sir (politely at this point), are you a law enforcement officer?

Me: No sir.

Douche: Why are you carrying a gun at the school where all the school shootings happen ?

Me: Sir, I'm licensed by the state of Indiana to carry a firearm, which permits me to carry within 1k feet of a school legally. As you can see, I'm on the public sidewalk and am not breaking any laws.

Douche: Concealed or openly ?

Me: I'm carrying openly (DUH) but the state is silent on the issue and doesn't dictate how we carry.

Douche: but you're carrying here around all these kids.. use common sense man!

Me: Sir, I'm not breaking any laws, I assure you

Douche: (backs away and his demeanor changed to almost vengeful) Yeah ?? We'll see about that. Just wait.

My oldest daughter wondered what he sat on in the Lexus to be so uptight.

I retrieved all of my children, and we walked peacefully amongst the other little ones, along the sidewalks all the way home without further incident.

I thought this was rather odd.

A few points that I took away from it all.. (the guy acted as if he was angry that he didn't know what was legal or not, even though I do)

1.. why does it matter if I'm a cop ? (to the guy)
    2.. Why wouldn't I carry at a school "where all the school shootings happen".. wouldn't you want to be prepared in the event of ?
    3.. It was a couple months ago the local cops busted a meth house in this neighborhood.
    4.. What exactly does "common sense" mean in the context of this conversation ?? I really couldn't understand what he meant.. lmfao (use purple on this one)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Douche: (backs away and his demeanor changed to almost vengeful) Yeah ?? We'll see about that. Just wait.

You have a couple of things going on concurrently:

1. The sheep cannot distinguish between the sheepdog and the wolf.

2. Did you read Unintended Consequences? If so, go re-read the scene where Ray Johnson is buying the double rifle in the gun shop with his graduation money. Now after you read this scene think about how it applies to your new friend and his being reminded that he is without recourse when something bad does happen.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I tell stupid people like that to get the **** away from me. Seriously, I don't even want to share the same air as those people. Sir, do you realize your a ****ing moron and you've reproduced and your kid is probably just as common sense lacking as yourself? Lexus, Prius, cobalt, moped, stupid is found in all income types.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    As a point of clarification...

Our LTCH has no distance from a school zone attached to it, does it? Is my understanding that federal law has such a radius attached to it but it is excepted if you have a LTCH/CCP correct--or am I forgetting something?

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    As a point of clarification...

Our LTCH has no distance from a school zone attached to it, does it? Is my understanding that federal law has such a radius attached to it but it is excepted if you have a LTCH/CCP correct--or am I forgetting something?

Not legal to carry a handgun within 1k feet of a school unless licensed by the state to carry a handgun.

With a LTCH you're legal up to the property line (on foot).

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Not legal to carry a handgun within 1k feet of a school unless licensed by the state to carry a handgun.

With a LTCH you're legal up to the property line (on foot).

That's what I thought. Thanks. When you stated differently in the OP, I began doubting myself.

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Handled better than I would have, I think. My encounters have always been positive with me passing information. You represented the community well.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    I tell stupid people like that to get the **** away from me. Seriously, I don't even want to share the same air as those people. Sir, do you realize your a ****ing moron and you've reproduced and your kid is probably just as common sense lacking as yourself? Lexus, Prius, cobalt, moped, stupid is found in all income types.

And if you respond in that manner, you will reinforce Mr. Lexus' belief that gun owners are lunatics that are ready to go off at any time. For the sake of the rest of us, please don't do that.

Sounds like the OP handled it well. Maybe, just maybe, Mr. Lexus went home and looked it up, and realized that the OP was right. Or maybe he made a MWAG call and got flustered when asked what the MWAG was doing, then being told that it's OK.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Handled very well. I am not nearly as patient or understanding with POS all knowing douche bags. Have been known to tell them to go **** themselves when they will not be reasonable.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Handled very well. I am not nearly as patient or understanding with POS all knowing douche bags. Have been known to tell them to go **** themselves when they will not be reasonable.

I have a very good rapport with the principal and will be seeking permission to carry on property or in the school from the school board next. Need to send an email to the principal and see when the next school board meeting is.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    4.. What exactly does "common sense" mean in the context of this conversation ??

"Common sense" never means anything in any context. There is no such thing as "common sense". It's a logical fallacy that implies that one is born with some innate knowledge or understanding. In virtually every case where someone uses the term "common sense", what they mean is "You don't share my opinion and I want to imply that you are either a moron or insane for disagreeing with me". Therefore, when you hear someone use the term, you should think "That person just lost the argument and they're trying to not look like an idiot."

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Good on you for keeping it professional.

I would asked him how many shooting he thinks has happened at our school and / or made a crack about school shooting happening as schools as a matter of definition.

Thats why I go all concealed now. I have no patience whatsoever for douche idiots. Less stress for me, less bad press for the cause.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom