• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .38 Special

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    I seen this video on Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind! and thought I'd like to share a segment of Mayor Bloomberg speaking about the shooting in front of the Empire State Building.

Mayor Bloomberg speaks at 4:05

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BGRtHtVpZI&feature=player_embedded#!

As one pointed out in the comments section... "He called for grabbing guns after the Batman shootings & didn’t say that the wounded there were nicked & scratched. You’re only nicked & scratched when you’re shot by a cop, unless you’re dead of course & then it’s always a justified shooting."

They don't have their story straight. He said they don't know if the perpetrator fired any shots and then later said the police "returned fire"...
    Two police fired 16 shots and no one knows if the perpetrator even fired a shot?

Another thing to add is Mayor Bloomberg also said "there's no reason to think that any were that serious" in reference to injuries sustained by bystanders when police used their wild wild west gun slinging tactics on a busy city sidewalk.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Based on this news article:
    Empire State Building Shooter Didn’t Expect to Return Home After Shooting - ABC News

The gunman did not fire at police, he just raised his gun towards them. The LEOs fired 18 times killing the gunman and wounding 9 other people as well. :faint:

BTW did the gunman kill his target? His former co-worker/boss???

Is there any doubt about it? He had left the scene of the shooting when he was followed by the construction worker who reported him to the police. The police intercepted him near the Empire State building. That's according to the original story.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Is there any doubt about it? He had left the scene of the shooting when he was followed by the construction worker who reported him to the police. The police intercepted him near the Empire State building. That's according to the original story.

I have not read the originla article on the shooting. & just cause you shoot someone does not mean they are dead. thus was asking if the gunman actually did kill his co-worker?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I have not read the originla article on the shooting. & just cause you shoot someone does not mean they are dead. thus was asking if the gunman actually did kill his co-worker?

Okay, I didn't know if you had read something I hadn't. According to what I remember of the original article, it said the gunman shot his former employer once in the head and once in the chest with a .45. I personally knew a guy who was shot in the face with a .45 at close range and survived, but if the victim was shot in the head, I doubt he survived.

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    Go figure...Bloomberg wails about gun violence but downplays the fact 9 people were wounded by his guys.

I've seen the video of Johnson pointing his gun at the cops. Now I was not there but it looks like the cops had no choice but to defend themselves. On the other side of the coin...knowing all the people around them, they should have limited the nuber of rounds fired.

NYC will save a few bucks by not having to prosecute or jail the dead guy but will pay a lot more to settle 9 lawsuits.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Limit the rds fired??? U shoot until the threat is out. Also 9 rounds assumming 9 by each can be fired very, very quick.

Btw any1 have the link 2 the video please

Tsigos

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    It's hard to judge based on the video. It all went down so fast and the video is of a very low quality. It does seem that the gunman did not fire a shot although he could have as the police did not seem to have weapons drawn at first.

The officer on the right appears to be shooting one-handed and using a spray and pray technique. Is it just me or is he holding his pistol sideways gangster style?

.38 Special

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    ...The officer on the right appears to be shooting one-handed and using a spray and pray technique. Is it just me or is he holding his pistol sideways gangster style?
    I seen that also. I have agree with you...if it's not sideways it's definitely one handed. It is hard to tell when a shot goes off though.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    One handed shooting is quite common. I did not see anything in that video that gave me pause. Now it was poor quality so there could be something there that I didn't see. By show of hands, how many here have had to shoot someone? Luckily I have not, but I have MANY co workers who have and as a firearms instructor I try to learn from each instance for training purposes. As good as you shoot at the range, plan to HALF that ability under stress unless you "stress inoculate" yourself. After seeing the sheer numbers of bullet strike marks on the ground at the 35 yrd line all the way to the berm at Eagle Creek after the weekend of being open, I predict that for many shooters here, the safest place for the suspect to be would be in front of your pistol. It's easy to pass judgement from your computer. As for the "gangster style" shooting. It is VERY natural to cant the pistol while firing one handed. With a closed fist, punch your fist out to a straight arm in front of you and see the 45 degree angle or so of the cant. No reason you cannot fire it that way. Just not all the way on its side...that ain't natural.

Last edited:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    IPD used to train the quick shot in a close encounter: fire as soon as you can bear on the target; follow up shots would be two-handed and aimed. At five yards, this would have been a little farther away than we trained, but still "doable". All that aside, we fight the way we train to fight, and if we don't train to fight, we tend to do whatever comes to mind at the moment. A full work week of "stress innoculation" didn't completely prepare me for the IPD "final exam" night qualification at the end of their firearms qualification course.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Have shot many times side by side with Illinois state cops. They were all highly trained and
    all better shots than me. IMHO these guys should be taken off street duty till they can hit center mass
    at 25yrds . Perhaps NYC's aversion to guns is reflected in a obvious lack of training.
    These guys could not hit this perp at very close. range...scared or not this looks poor
    training or lack of practice, or both. It's an old saw that cops miss 3out of 4 times
    as a rule. I find that hard to buy but these guys hit bystanders 90% of the time!

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    One handed shooting is quite common. I did not see anything in that video that gave me pause. Now it was poor quality so there could be something there that I didn't see. By show of hands, how many here have had to shoot someone? Luckily I have not, but I have MANY co workers who have and as a firearms instructor I try to learn from each instance for training purposes. As good as you shoot at the range, plan to HALF that ability under stress unless you "stress inoculate" yourself. After seeing the sheer numbers of bullet strike marks on the ground at the 35 yrd line all the way to the berm at Eagle Creek after the weekend of being open, I predict that for many shooters here, the safest place for the suspect to be would be in front of your pistol. It's easy to pass judgement from your computer. As for the "gangster style" shooting. It is VERY natural to cant the pistol while firing one handed. With a closed fist, punch your fist out to a straight arm in front of you and see the 45 degree angle or so of the cant. No reason you cannot fire it that way. Just not all the way on its side...that ain't natural.

The police need better training, period. If 9 people getting shot by the GOOD GUYS doesn't give you pause, I have to question your ability to train others.

You know what else doesn't help? The fact that NYPD requires duty pistols have their triggers modified to a 12lb trigger pull. Why? To prevent negligent discharges, of course. :laugh:

Top Bottom