NWI INGO General Thread #27 - Fresh Pink Air On US-30 smells like...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CheeseRat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2021
    NWI
    80/94 westbound shut down with a fatal shooting shortly after 4am. Looks like it'll be a long delay.

View attachment 337921
    I didn’t get a great look on 49 this morning, cause I thought I may be getting pulled over, but I was passed by what looked like a black station wagon with red and blues flashing. It was probably heading there? Wish I was looking closer at what brand vehicle it actually was, did make me think of ghostbusters a little…

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    I didn’t get a great look on 49 this morning, cause I thought I may be getting pulled over, but I was passed by what looked like a black station wagon with red and blues flashing. It was probably heading there? Wish I was looking closer at what brand vehicle it actually was, did make me think of ghostbusters a little…
    idk that they have red n blues but coroner maybe?

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Per the Chesterton Town Page

"Victim in fatal road-range incident identified as Chesterton man

Fox32 Chicago is reporting that the victim in a fatal shooting on I-80/94 in Lake County early this morning, Wednesday, March 6, was a Chesterton man.

“The Lake County Coroner’s Office identified the victim as 55-year-old Mark Brant of Chesterton, Ind.,” Fox32 reported.
    —————————
    ORIGINALLY POSTED THIS MORNING, WEDNESDAY, MARCH 6

One dead in apparent road rage shooting on I94 in Lake County

One person is dead and another in custody following what appears to have been a road-rage shooting in Lake County early this morning, Wednesday, March 6, the Indiana State Police said.

According to the ISP, at approximately 4 a.m. a caller reported having “been involved in a road-rage incident that resulted in a shooting on westbound I-80/94” and subsequently pulling to the side of the road on I-65 near 61st Ave.

At the same time, the ISP began receiving reports of a single-vehicle crash in the westbound lanes of I-80/94 at the 12.8 miler marker, near Lake Station. On their arrival at the scene, troopers “attempted to render first aid but quickly determined that the driver and sole occupant of the vehicle was deceased,” the ISP said. “Troopers also observed that injuries were consistent with what appeared to be a gunshot wound.”

Troopers who made contact with the caller, stopped on I-65, were able to determine that the caller’s report of a shooting was connected to the crash at the 12.8 mile marker on I-80/94.

The caller was taken into custody and transported to Lake County Jail on a probable cause hold pending further investigation, the ISP said.

The ISP is releasing no further information at this time."

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I have both licenses. HAM has a broader range of things you can do and it's also good for people who like to tinker. There's a lot of internet linked stuff. You can beacon your location or send text messages across the air to other radios within range without a phone. That one is popular for offroaders.
    My truck radio has a digital mode and I've heard people from Japan and Ireland talking to people in Kansas City on a repeater in Michigan City( there's some Internet going on there) I only have the technician license so I can only really touch mostly VHF and UHF(and microwave bands) the upper classes of licenses get you into more HF bands where you can do things like bounce signals off the ionosphere and talk to people all over the world. Every operator needs their own license.

GMRS is mostly local use but some repeaters are linked. The repeater in Crete IL is linked to a whole Midwestern state network. You can also use one license for everyone in your immediate family.
    So what are these actually used for?
    Just a hobby or is there real usefulness?
    Did you put up a tower to mount an antenna? How high?

Last edited:

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    So what are these actually used for? Just a hobby or is there real usefulness?
    Ham is mostly hobby but it does see emergency communications use sometimes e.g. to get messages in and out during disaster events like Katrina. That would be mostly HF or lower frequency bands because they can propagate hundreds or thousands of miles.

GMRS has more utility for the average person or families. It shares some of the same frequencies as FRS(run of the mill walkie talkies) but it has more power and opens repeater use which greatly increases the usable area over FRS.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    MURS is also an option. It doesn't require a license and it's VHF so it will also reach out more than FRS and even GMRS sometimes. GMRS will always reach further with a repeater though, which MURS doesn't allow

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I don't have a tower (yet?) Right now I just have a rig in my truck and a couple handhelds. I can reach the Valpo repeater all the time with just a handheld which means I can reach anybody who can also reach the Valpo repeater with whatever they have. My mobile rig in the truck can reach the Valpo repeater from Gary and probably farther. I can also hit HAM repeaters in Michigan City and Laporte and a GMRS Repeater in Crete, IL sometimes with just the handheld(or all the time with the truck one)

The Crete one is also linked by internet to a midwest network so I've heard people as far as Idaho on that one.

Then there's the digital modes rabbit hole. I listened to a guy in Kansas City talking to a guy in Nagasaki the other day.

Last edited:

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I don't have a tower (yet?) Right now I just have a rig in my truck and a couple handhelds. I can reach the Valpo repeater all the time with just a handheld which means I can reach anybody who can also reach the Valpo repeater with whatever they have. My mobile rig in the truck can reach the Valpo repeater from Gary and probably farther. I can also hit HAM repeaters in Michigan City and Laporte and a GMRS Repeater in Crete, IL sometimes with just the handheld(or all the time with the truck one)

The Crete one is also linked by internet to a midwest network so I've heard people as far as Idaho on that one.

Then there's the digital modes rabbit hole. I listened to a guy in Kansas City talking to a guy in Nagasaki the other day.
    How hard is it to get the gmrs license? Would you mind sharing what handhelps/truck rig looks like? Or brand?

Can you talk on channels without others dropping in like on a walkie or is anyone on that channel with you?

Top Bottom