NWI INGO General Thread #27 - Fresh Pink Air On US-30 smells like...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Gave that to my parents too. Have not had a disc player of any kind in at least 4 years.
    I have an older one and a Blu-ray because we also have movies. We're already invested.

At least it not like setting up my parents flat screen, sound system, blu-ray, vhs, and antenna. The pita of the antenna and they have yet to use it. :rolleyes:

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    View attachment 334448

It was meh... Mission BBQ was better and cheaper.

And neither beat
    I’m a bigger fan of docs than mission, both are good tho, part of the mission letdown is the location.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I have an older one and a Blu-ray because we also have movies. We're already invested.

At least it not like setting up my parents flat screen, sound system, blu-ray, vhs, and antenna. The pita of the antenna and they have yet to use it. :rolleyes:
    My fiance had to have an antenna, a $115 dollar one, the best one... She used it once in our apartment to make sure it worked. She has not used it since we got the house.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Attach15441_20240221_062636.jpg

Who wants the sign?

JamesV

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 13, 2015
    The Region
    View attachment 334448

It was meh... Mission BBQ was better and cheaper.

And neither beat
    So what's your thought's on Big Daddy's BBQ?

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    Optical discs (CD's, DVD's, Blu-Ray, 4K Ultra) are currently the best form of archival storage available to consumers, especially if they are M-Disc. They are limited mainly due to their speed, capacity (CD's up to 400 MBs, DVD's up to 4.7 GBs, Blu-Ray up to 50 GBs or 100 GBs in uncommon models), their reliance on a mechanical reader, and the issues for re-writing data (needs a RW, but won't last as long as an R disc, can't re-write as much as an HDD or SSD).

An HDD can hold much more (seen 32 TB drives for around $350) and transfer at SATA 3.0 6Gb/s (Gigabits not Gigabytes a second), however uses magnetic particles that will lose charge over time. Data rot will occur faster than optical discs kept in good storage conditions (dry and dark conditions in moderate temperature with the read side facing down towards the earth to avoid data sag). Data on HDDs should be re-written every few years (there is software that can do this). HDDs also rely on mechanical motors and actuators to operate.

An SSD is much faster and can transfer data at NVME speeds (fastest I've seen was a roughly 12 GB/s), however use quantum physics in NAND logic gate semi-conductors that can rot data over time due to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of some particles just randomly changing polarity. Not only that, but current multi-layer NAND gates can only be switched a limited number of times giving an SSD a soft expiration date the more it's filled and the longer it's used (one of the reasons you do not de-frag an SSD like you do for an HDD).

Good quality optical discs, especially M-Disc variants (which have a simulated lifespan of around 1,000 years) will likely outlast these other formats if kept in good conditions (like a dark, dry gun-safe maybe) by a wide margin. M-Disc variants can be burned and read by most readers out there today, though as far as I know there are no RW versions of M-Disc.

When it comes to data, there is no perfect format. It is better to not put your eggs in one basket.

And from an existential point, the more de-centralized and less grid-reliant you can make you media, the better IMHO. Believe it or not, a disc spinning in a reader has much less points of failure than storing something on the cloud, and when it comes to computers, something always goes wrong when you need it most.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    I got a bunch of CD's from a buddy who was gonna throw them away today.
    Never throw away CD's (unless they are damaged beyond the ability to read). They aren't making many more of these, and one day they will surge back in demand as they are objectively better than the system they are trying to implement. You have very little control when streaming, be it music, videos, or games. Local media, especially physical media, may be less convenient, but it offers more freedom and control (except when also dealing with DRM issues).

A Paul Harrel-esque anecdote: Every year at some point I like to re-watch the only anime I actually enjoy Cowboy Bebop. I remember watching that when going to bed on school nights (mom didn't really censor me from much), and every year I get the DVD's out despite the show being made almost 26 years ago. Now imagine growing up today and watching one of these Netflix exclusive shows where they don't produce a local copy for home exhibition. If you wanted to watch that in 26 years, you would be SOL unless someone pirated it.

This rant was not directed at you sadclown, this is just a hot topic of mine. I've had too many people defend big companies slowly robbing us of our entertainment and consumer rights with the temptation of convenient streaming and touting the obsolescence of physical media.

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    View attachment 334582

Who wants the sign?

I grew up in the house directly behind the bar.
    The owner (Joanie) always told my parents she wanted me in there as soon as I was old enough.

I have zero use for the sign, and no where to put it, but I want it.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I've got every computer I ever bought for the business since 1988, from DOS and early Windows to current versions. I can read any common disk from 5" floppy to Zip100 drives to modern formats. All except for Mac crap. Pissed me off early on when they wanted $100 for every font, and bold and italic was considered a separate font. I bought Corel Draw and PC's with 100's, then 1000's of included fonts, and never looked back.

I can almost retire on the $$ I saved avoiding MAC/Adobe graphics packages. Nowadays I'm forced to buy it just for compatibility, and it irritates me every year.

rant over .... carry on ...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom