Not open for further replies.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    P. metallica, Gooty Saphire Ornamental

Would be nifty to have but too many of the bite stories have the thing running up the damn feeding tongs at the speed of light to bite and giving them all the hurting of the worst of widow bites without the sweet release of death.

Poecilotheria_metallica_-_juvenile_male.jpg

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Other thread was locked at I couldn't respond to t_star

They can be expensive but the joke about being committed was mostly because the Poecilotheria genus are beautiful but extremely quick arboreal tarantulas(some people call them teleporters) with potent venom. Nothing fatal as far as I've found but people report searing pain at and near the bite and eventually random muscle contractions throughout the body. This can go on for days and sometimes pop up months later.
    oh yeah
    perfect pet

perfect

for someone other than me

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    You guys will be happy to know that all the nightmare fuel tarantulas are from the eastern hemisphere(old world tarantulas). Some of them are worse than others of course. I might one day work my way up to an Orange Baboon or Cobalt blue because a bite from those is gonna send you to the medicine cabinet, not the ER but for now I'm good with my new world octohamsters.

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    Other thread was locked at I couldn't respond to t_star

They can be expensive but the joke about being committed was mostly because the Poecilotheria genus are beautiful but extremely quick arboreal tarantulas(some people call them teleporters) with potent venom. Nothing fatal as far as I've found but people report searing pain at and near the bite and eventually random muscle contractions throughout the body. This can go on for days and sometimes pop up months later.
    Oooo ok that sounds like not a super great time.
    The offers always on the table tho, while I may not have them as pets, this is definitely a no-kill house, we even save them from the cats.
    Last year I was outside working on my planters and found a little jumper. Got it to jump on my hand and everything.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    The offers always on the table tho, while I may not have them as pets, this is definitely a no-kill house, we even save them from the cats.
    Last year I was outside working on my planters and found a little jumper. Got it to jump on my hand and everything.
    Proof!!!

Proof townspeople that she is a witch!
    She can summon the crawling monsters.

Quick bring the firewood. We must purifier her. :)

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    We must purifier her.
    Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN (GIF Image)

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey

Outdoors, I'm pretty much a Live and Let Live kind of guy, mostly. Indoors, they don't tend to fare as well. I've got some pictures somewhere I'll post later, of spiders and such.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    You guys will be happy to know that all the nightmare fuel tarantulas are from the eastern hemisphere(old world tarantulas). Some of them are worse than others of course. I might one day work my way up to an Orange Baboon or Cobalt blue because a bite from those is gonna send you to the medicine cabinet, not the ER but for now I'm good with my new world octohamsters.
    Reminds me of why i decided not to get into venomous snakes when i was offered a very beautiful eyelash viper...

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I have trained my wife not to kill spiders, she realizes they eat things that we don't like.

However, where I would catch a western cricket and toss it outside, she is freaked out by them and will kill it immediately.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Reminds me of why i decided not to get into venomous snakes when i was offered a very beautiful eyelash viper...
    Hot snakes are a whole different ball game. As far as I've been able to find, nobody has ever actually died even from the worst of Tarantulas. On the other hand, there are several snakes that are fairly common in the venomous hobby that have definitely killed people. That eyelash viper, for example.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I have trained my wife not to kill spiders, she realizes they eat things that we don't like.

However, where I would catch a western cricket and toss it outside, she is freaked out by them and will kill it immediately.
    We have one room where the crickets seem to like to live. I keep a paper cup and an envelope in there so I can catch and rehome them. (Put the cup over the cricket, slip the envelope under the cup, and carry the whole thing outside.)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom