NWI INGO General Post - Part 21 - We can offically drink da moonshine!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Why are people so wimpy about snow now a days? If it’s less than 6”, don't bother me as I could get about anywhere I need to go with a rear wheel drive with decent radials. Have a 4WD F350, an awd Fusion and a Subaru. The only rear wheel drives today seem to be muscle cars and PU trucks so most vehicles are fwd and can get through 4” with ease. I’m not worried about the snow, but the idiots who can’t drive in it. Now if the blizzard of 67 is coming, let me know.
    I can get anywhere I need to go in my 2wd Silverado, about 500 lbs in the bed and decent tires. I learned to drive in Southwest Michigan where 6" of snow didn't even start a conversation about schools closing. NWI hasn't had a decent snow since New Year's Day 1999. We get some snow sometimes, but usually about 40% of what is predicted. The Snowpocalypse of 2011 was interesting, but still not a "pocalypse" of any kind.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I can get anywhere I need to go in my 2wd Silverado, about 500 lbs in the bed and decent tires. I learned to drive in Southwest Michigan where 6" of snow didn't even start a conversation about schools closing. NWI hasn't had a decent snow since New Year's Day 1999. We get some snow sometimes, but usually about 40% of what is predicted. The Snowpocalypse of 2011 was interesting, but still not a "pocalypse" of any kind.
    I've only got 160 lbs in my Frontier bed. Hopefully it will be enough. It really did not hold the road well before I put it in. Haven't driven in snow since. Once winter is over, I'll have four bags of water softener salt to sell.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    One trip to Valpo done. Loaded up for trip two.

Snap, isn't your Frontier 4 wheel drive? With that little bit of weight, turn off over-drive with the little button on gearshift, and you're good to go about anywhere. I loved my Frontier. Like a little tank.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    One trip to Valpo done. Loaded up for trip two.

Snap, isn't your Frontier 4 wheel drive? With that little bit of weight, turn off over-drive with the little button on gearshift, and you're good to go about anywhere. I loved my Frontier. Like a little tank.

Nope, not 4-wheel drive. Everyone said I wouldn't need it. :rolleyes: Besides, they are harder to find in this market. Not a huge deal since we have an AWD Honda anyway.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I need to get off Facebook and get stuff done. I'm cracking up at the woman who needs her driveway plowed RIGHT NOW because she is out of toilet paper and needs to get out. The number of people who lose their minds over the prospect of going without toilet paper kills me. You got Kleenex? napkins? Paper towel? Old t-shirts? Then quit whining.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Hmm ... Amazon link not showing on Desktop - saw it on my phone .. anyway

I have 2 of the Thomas & Betts crimpers -- the first one was ~ $75 back in the 80's from Grainger type of Distributor --- second one was ~ $25 from Ebay a few years later --- Identical and have been working flawlessly for over 30 years ... (haven't used them that much in the last 10 years since I moved to a Desk job )

I haven't used them in the last 30 days
    :)

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    I need to get off Facebook and get stuff done. I'm cracking up at the woman who needs her driveway plowed RIGHT NOW because she is out of toilet paper and needs to get out. The number of people who lose their minds over the prospect of going without toilet paper kills me. You got napkins? Paper towel? Old t-shirts? Then quit whining.
    And the fact that she could literally just drive her car out of the driveway without issue i'm sure.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    And, maybe PLAN AHEAD.
    Have extra toilet paper around.
    It's not like it goes bad.

You know, if a couple inches of snow causes you to risk the grim reaper, maybe you ... maybe I better not finish that thought.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Thought Valpo was too faaaaarrrrrrrr....

Wife said 65 and 30 was awful this morning.
    That section of 30 at I-65 is always the worst part of my drive when it snows. They have a harder time clearing off the snow due to it being 4 lanes wide and it can be tough to get traction with 2WD. Combine that with a ton of traffic and it just bogs down.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Those people freaking out about this little bit of snow preventing them from buying toilet paper are going to be the first to die if/when there's ever a major national disaster/social breakdown/etc. Don't impede natural selection. This is where I could link to the proliferation of soy boys thread.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    I need to get off Facebook and get stuff done. I'm cracking up at the woman who needs her driveway plowed RIGHT NOW because she is out of toilet paper and needs to get out. The number of people who lose their minds over the prospect of going without toilet paper kills me. You got Kleenex? napkins? Paper towel? Old t-shirts? Then quit whining.

Garden Hose ? :toilet2:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I've only got 160 lbs in my Frontier bed. Hopefully it will be enough. It really did not hold the road well before I put it in. Haven't driven in snow since. Once winter is over, I'll have four bags of water softener salt to sell.
    I have 6- 70# tube sand bags and 2-45# sand bags. About half gets used for landscaping and stable maintenance over the summer.

I wouldn't go putting that much in the Frontier.

CheeseRat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2021
    NWI
    I have 6- 70# tube sand bags and 2-45# sand bags. About half gets used for landscaping and stable maintenance over the summer.

I wouldn't go putting that much in the Frontier.
    Just had to grab 2 bags out for the actual softner. That takes me down to 16 bags. Probably not the best for gas mileage, but hardly ever feel the need to put it in 4x. With having the weight distributed to 4 rear tires instead of 2, I go heavy and the softner uses about 20 bags a year....

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Welp, just got an email from Bank of America asking me if I charged three $1500 XBoxes in Florida. Ummm, nope. Now I have to go through all the BS of changing to a new card. But better that then be on the hook for $4500.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    You may find that it also rides better with the added weight in the bed by smoothing out the bumps. That was my experience when I carried sand tubes in my trucks.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom