• Status
    Not open for further replies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Sounds like an awesome afternoon melensdad! Great pic!!
    And +1 to Andy! :rockwoot:

It was an awesome time. I used to be a competitive Trap Shooter but its literally been 20 years since I sold my Pigeon Grade Winchester 101 trap gun and I've not shot since. It was a blast to pick up Andy's little Ithaca and try again. I did fire off the last 5 shells and knocked down 4 of the last 5 clays of the day. That too felt pretty good. I'm waaaaay out of practice, and the little thrower I have at home doesn't throw as fast as the big automated wobble machines at the ranges, so I'd probably hit 1 out of 5 on the Trap line, but still, it was good to get back out with a shotgun in my hands.

Watching Melen was a blast too. She didn't know what to expect in terms of recoil and I really didn't want to over instruct her (she hates that). So I pretty much just let her go. Made a couple corrections. And she had a great time. Honestly sometimes I think she was just blasting away, other times she actually was trying to hit the target ... and sometimes she did hit the target. When she hit, she hit it hard. Her broken targets were pulverized, none of the glancing shots that chipped off a little bit but rather full on hits. It was great to watch her.

I think she's hooked :yesway:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Your only answer what that you didn't like the "rules." Was there anything else?

I gave you 3 reasons: time, distance and rules.
    :)

Plus on a personal level I don't think I care for it (training). I enjoy the logistical/coordinator part of stuff more. Yes I do make it a habit to learn just enough on every subject (ie. ham radio, canning, firearms, etc..) but don't want to become an expert in any area (ie. training, use often). My greatest strenght I feel is being able to know just enough to seek out others that can help the group in said area and bring them into the fold.

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    It was an awesome time. I used to be a competitive Trap Shooter but its literally been 20 years since I sold my Pigeon Grade Winchester 101 trap gun and I've not shot since. It was a blast to pick up Andy's little Ithaca and try again. I did fire off the last 5 shells and knocked down 4 of the last 5 clays of the day. That too felt pretty good. I'm waaaaay out of practice, and the little thrower I have at home doesn't throw as fast as the big automated wobble machines at the ranges, so I'd probably hit 1 out of 5 on the Trap line, but still, it was good to get back out with a shotgun in my hands.

Watching Melen was a blast too. She didn't know what to expect in terms of recoil and I really didn't want to over instruct her (she hates that). So I pretty much just let her go. Made a couple corrections. And she had a great time. Honestly sometimes I think she was just blasting away, other times she actually was trying to hit the target ... and sometimes she did hit the target. When she hit, she hit it hard. Her broken targets were pulverized, none of the glancing shots that chipped off a little bit but rather full on hits. It was great to watch her.

I think she's hooked :yesway:

She could probably teach me a thing or two about trap! I am terrible at it. Nevermind I tried it once, irrelevent. :) When we go to the Ike's (we are usually the only ones there, knock on wood) I usually go pick up all the unbusted clays and use them as targets on the pistol side.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    Question:

I have a few leads, research wise, about a after school shooting club. I'm getting ready to put some feelers out to a few organizations for more advice and courses of action. My question is, should I make this a single firearm club as in only rifle or only shotgun/trap etc. Or would an eclectic mix of firearms have more interest.

Also I think I need to get some NRA training and becoming NRA certified. Which would be great, and I am going to get some schooling on rifles as I'm not familiar with them at all.

Now I'm leaning towards a club that includes an eclectic mix of firearms. And I want to stress safety and discipline. Incorporate history and laws while ensuring good ole American fun.

This is all evolving, and is just a work in progress. Eventually ill create a thread of its own, once I get a better overview and more research. Please excuse any spelling errors and such as I'm typing this from my phone.

Basically, I'm looking at starting an after school shooting club for high school students. I'm leaning towards the use of handguns, rifles and shotguns while incorporating the history and some laws pertaining to guns. My intention is to garner interest in firearm sports and freedoms in the younger generation. I'm also looking to incorporate community pride and the such by volunteering in the community by doing road side clean ups and other things like that.

I'm also looking at adding incentives to the seniors by including small college scholarships as rewards for their participation in all aspects of the club. Including the competitions, volenteering, fund raising, mentorship of the younger shooters and end of season written essay on the second amendment. With a banquet and award ceremony at the end of the season included.

The cost of participation would be minimal, as I believe most money can be raised by donations and fundrasiors.

That's just a basic rough draft. I haven't included everything. But am looking for ideas to help me put an overview together. So when I do reach out to these other organizations I know what I'm talking about. Like I said this is in its infancy and is evolving. No idea is firmly in place and no idea is left out. Am I on the right track, am I way off base?

It's still going to be at least a year, most likely 2 years out. I still need to properly equip myself with more knowledge and some formal training before I take off running with this.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    Look up the SCHOLASTIC CLAYS school shooting program. It is shotgun focused, but it's already well established and could simply be started up locally by you at The Hanover school district.

Awesome, thanks I haven't heard of them yet. That look awesome. I'm going to have to practice myself, the few times I went trap shooting I couldn't hit anything.

Last edited:

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    positive OC encounter, but it was at afrozone so i can only imagine it was cause that one gun nut there

Did you go to my Vatozone?

If so I apologize because I think I know who you talked To.

Tall guy with a goatee? He said someone came in with a "9" on his hip and he asked the guy a load of questions about it and that the guy said he had been hassled all over for OC including subway.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Copy Shop for LTCH

My LTCH showed up last night. 10 days total using L1 in unincorperated Lake County. Now its time to get copies made and laminated. What places have you guys used? Lowell, Cedar Lake, CP, or North of there on 41 would be most convenient.

Ive read that some guys have it reduced somewhat to fit in the wallet when laminated. Im thinking 5 percent reduction, any suggestions?

Boiler1529

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Nwi
    I just laminated mine with a home laminator(ran through a few times to thicken it up)and trimmed afterwards until it fit behind my dl.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    My LTCH showed up last night. 10 days total using L1 in unincorperated Lake County. Now its time to get copies made and laminated. What places have you guys used? Lowell, Cedar Lake, CP, or North of there on 41 would be most convenient.

Ive read that some guys have it reduced somewhat to fit in the wallet when laminated. Im thinking 5 percent reduction, any suggestions?

I went to the Staples in Merrillville. Before I even opened my mouth the lady said:
    "Lamination?"

I said, no I'd like copies on pink and at 95% please.

It was stupidly cheap for 10 copies. The paper wasn't exactly the same colour though but I'd be hard pressed to tell unless you held the original next to the copy.

It was either 95 or 98% but either way it fits into my wallet fine now.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom