• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Problem with a public range is they wont let you train the way most of us want to.
    Hell most DNR ranges won't let you draw from a holster let alone move around or transition

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Fetlas annexation debated : Porter

It would be nice if we could get a indoor range in crown point.

What a horrible, horrible, horrible idea!
    You SOUTH of US-30 and NON-LAKE county folks don't pay enough in taxes so you can't get the privillege of yet another range. No way Jose! A new publiclity funded range should be build in northern lake county with taxes from you rich folks south of US-30 before we even think about letting you open a new range.

:popcorn::D

Boiler1529

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Nwi
    You SOUTH of US-30 and NON-LAKE county folks don't pay enough in taxes so you can't get the privillege of yet another range. No way Jose! A new publiclity funded range should be build in northern lake county with taxes from you rich folks south of US-30 before we even think about letting you open a new range.

You really want to go there before I deliver your grass?? Hmmm.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    INGO's unofficial clubhouse has been pretty busy this morning.

aclark and BillB took off a little while ago. Napalm stopped in and then left quickly, making an auto parts delivery to Bill??? Andy and I have been here for the duration with other "like minded" coming in and out of the lounge.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    & that is the million dollar questiojn that is going to get you a bazillion answers none of which you will like. :)

We can probably lump them all into these 3 categories
    - lack of time (raising family, dealing with elderly family members, school, etc)
    - lack of resources (bullets ain't cheap u know, cost to enter, travel & gas)
    - lack of interest (not for me some would say)

We sure are what are some possible ideas?
    - AR Build party I read
    - reloading
    - :dunno:

^This is the major issue. Our the 2 private ranges we know of (publicly by our members) both are too small to hold anything other than 3 people MAX! :(
    [/COLOR]
    I'd be happy to have some people over to go through some things. Wild Deuce could give an opinion of how many and what he thinks would be possible.

I think it is also time to get some steel to put our there. I just have to figure out what I want to get.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0

Will our range have a "drive by" lane? What about lanes for sideways shooting only?
    Maybe use Andy's Ruger to practice urban draw and shoot?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    You really want to go there before I deliver your grass?? Hmmm.

Opps!!! Oh wait I just remembered that you are BOTH south of US-30 and a GLOCK owner so you have 2 stirkes against you just like you noted yesterday. :laugh::laugh::laugh: & you told me the grass was green not PINK. ;)

Will our range have a "drive by" lane? What about lanes for sideways shooting only?
    Maybe use Andy's Ruger to practice urban draw and shoot?

Bill B both of those requirements can be added to the NLCTR. After all the rich folks are gonna pay for it anyways. :rofl:

NLTR = Northern Lake County Thug Range

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Personally I think it is a "phase of life" thing.

When I was a competitive shooter (I was young, like you), my wife and I both shot together, typically two nights a week plus at least 1 day on the weekend. We both competed in the same sports (Trap and Sporting Clays). We averaged roughly 500 rounds a week, sometimes double that. We traveled with our guns and competed in other areas while on vacation or business trips.

But then life changed. Both of my parents became very ill (died over a 2.5 year time span). My wife gave birth to our daughter. We built a new house. My wife changed careers, necessitating taking classes at night to get another degree. Then my wife's mother got ill. ETC, Etc, etc . . .

Now over the past 6 or 7 years I've gotten back into shooting. But no longer shooting Trap. And not competing in any discipline. I still don't really care to compete but I do enjoy training. Several of us were out at my range one day practicing drills for IDPA and one of the guys I used to shoot with regularly commented that I was very fast and wondered why I didn't shoot IDPA matches with him.

Simply put, it doesn't fit into my life.

As for hosting training events, I'd be happy to, but I don't have the facilities at my home range. I built it for 1 to 3 shooters. The most I've had was 6 shooters and it was WAY TOO CROWDED.

If I compete again, it may well be in Trap or Sporting Clays. Melen is asking about shotguns now.

Thanks for the insight! Right now I can devote time to training and really work at getting better.

I agree, it's probably because I'm young.

Lack of time is what prevents me from doing much right now.

I shoot for fun but i would love to try my hand at competing.

Anytime you'd like to give something a shot, give me a shout. I'll gladly help you out with anything.

I've always been to busy with work. I used to work 7 days a week 12 or more hours a day. Now I only work 40 hours a week, but unfortunately, my schedule doesn't allow it. I'm on the midnight shift with Wednesday and Thursday off. Which for me actually only gives me Thursday free. And I usually use that day for house stuff.

I have vacation time and personal days I can use, but use them for the informal meet and shoots when I can. But mostly use them for family time and house work. Being single with 2 dogs to care for and working batty hours doesn't leave me time to get more involved. I normally sneak out for an hour here and there for some range time when I can sneak it in, normally I get an Jou a week, sometimes a little longer.

I have been looking into, not as much as I'd like, starting a after school shooting club for high school students. Along with competitions and possible small scholarships for participants. It's a slow process, along with making sure I can swing the time needed to make it work.

As I feel the only way to keep our gun rights is to get the kids, our future, involved in shooting. I've talked with a few people about what is like to do and received some great ideas, but its just in the research stage. Hopefully I can get it off the ground once I figure out the details ironed out, and if threes enough interest. Which now that I've typed this, I'm going to try and move this higher on my tasks to complete.

Wow! An after school shooting program would be awesome!

& that is the million dollar questiojn that is going to get you a bazillion answers none of which you will like. :)

We can probably lump them all into these 3 categories
    - lack of time (raising family, dealing with elderly family members, school, etc)
    - lack of resources (bullets ain't cheap u know, cost to enter, travel & gas)
    - lack of interest (not for me some would say)

Now since you asked I'll give you my take as I see others have as welled.
    In no particluar order
    1) Working M-F so only weekends are left and that I have to split between the Meet & Shoot, family, house (cut grass, fix/clean) and just one weekend per month to say f**** it I am DOING NOTHING!

2) NPCCC I know is not far, it's closer than WINAMAC, but in my mind it **IS** farther that the WINAMAC and having to go there and WINAMAC is just going to eat too much gas and my budget can't take it.

3) I've been to 1 steel match shoot and while I liked shooting at steel so way different that paper the whole "rules" aspect I could live without. Yes I understand safety is an issue but I guess me and rules we don't get along.

We sure are what are some possible ideas?
    - AR Build party I read
    - reloading
    - :dunno:

^This is the major issue. Our the 2 private ranges we know of (publicly by our members) both are too small to hold anything other than 3 people MAX! :(

WD did some training with me on drawing from IWB, how to lift short up, tactical reload, fixing a jam (rack, tap, slide) all without any ammo in my garage and those are all things we could do anywhere (large space) since it's ammo free.

If we had lasers we could even do "draw to target" to see where you are actually drawing at. WD showed me this with his "laser gun" I'm sure the terms are not correct but ya get the drift.

Ah so there is copper in it and thus why a white boy like you would want to steal it. I knew you SOUTH of 30 people were just thugs like us. :laugh:

I didn't ask to hear a certain answer. It was a completly open question looking for an honest answer. There is no judgement here.

Your only answer what that you didn't like the "rules." Was there anything else?

The reason I did ask is because I am starting to work down a certain path in shooting and that is always more fun with friends. My group has gotten smaller recently (for the same reasons stated above) and I wondered what part of firearms was fun for everyone. The answers thus far have been awesome!

I really like hearing where everyone is with shooting. I think it's fun to see the diverse likes/wants for the NWI group. Hopefully this will also get us more continuing education tailored to what the group wants. My GSW treatment class had 6 people show up. I didn't guage interest well enough before. My kydex class had MANY more show up, but people wanted that.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    HUGE +1 to Andy219
    I had been talking about trying to borrow a 20 gauge shotgun but never actually asked anyone to do so. My daughter, from time to time, asks about learning how to shoot a shotgun. But she can ask a few times, then it can be MONTHS before she asks again. I really never pressed anyone to borrow a gun that would be suitable for her. Just sort of casually mentioned it.

Today Andy showed up at the cigar lounge and had a 20 gauge pump gun in his trunk, gave it to me and said return if after you are done with it, if I need it I'll let you know and I'll just pick it up.

So today worked out great, my daughter got out of school a bit earlier than normal, no after school activities, and great weather. I mentioned the shotgun that was now in the trunk of our car and she said she didn't have much homework.

So she we got home, loaded up some clays, 100 shells, a thrower and headed out to the back field . . . I had not ever used an Ithaca Model 37 bottom eject but had a basic knowledge of the gun's mechanism, studied it, loaded it, gave it a try on a couple flying targets, missed by a mile . . . then showed Melen how to hold, handle, swing/aim/follow through and started letting targets fly out over the field. It took some time but she was busting about 30% of the clays. Not bad on her first attempt, especially given she is right handed but left eye dominant. She was smiling ear to ear too. She now wants a shotgun of her very own.

A very sincere Thank You to Andy for providing this opportunity. :yesway:

1melen.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Great pic.
    Its actually pretty hard to take a picture and work the clay thrower at the same time!

But seriously we had a great time. We went through about 75 shotgun shells. Looks like I'll have to pick up more before the weekend. Your little Ithaca is going to get a workout before you get it back.

I'm looking at some modestly priced CZ over/under 20 gauge guns, they are much more suitable for Trap and Sporting Clays because its much easier/faster to take a second shot. I'm surprised they are as affordable as I'm finding. It may be her next present . . . if she gets good enough grades.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    That's great, at the last shoot I attended I think there was only about 20 rounds put through it. And before that I haven't shot it in almost 3 years. Put as many shells through it as you want. It's awesome to see it being used. It was the first gun I ever shot, I was about 10, and my dad put down a lot of deer with it.

Shotguns are awesome guns to shoot and trap/sleet shooting is a great time. Have fun with it.

black label

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Hobart
    Wow. You are right. I am truly disappointed. I thought there would be more of an interest.

NWI INGO, why do you shoot?

I would absolutely love to do more training but my schedule dosen't allow for it, I work from 1800-0600 mon-sat and Sun is optional, but by the time i get up on sun I usually only have time to cut the grass fix a couple things around the house, spend a couple hours with the girlfriend, and then it's to late to do anything. Plus I don't have a shooting partner, the one friend I have that does shoot is really only interested in plinking. I try to train on my own for at least a half hour before work in my garage, but i am by no means an expert so if I am doing something wrong there's no one to point it out or correct me.

Sometimes when I pop open the safe I wonder why I have all these high end guns if all I do is plinking, why not just have 22s it would be cheaper. I had limited training in the navy, but that mainly involved limited cqb, dmr, and how to shoot a small craft with an m2hb, or a 25mm chaingun. (so if anyone has these mounted on their boat I can train you how to lead a small craft or fire warning shots . Purple) I would absolutely love to train with people beginer or expert, or to shoot some matches because that would definitly show me what i need to work on, but i would need someone to show me the ropes, make sure my gear was correct, and that I now the rules, and plus that i dont make a complete a$$ out of myself.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom