Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    100 watt light bulbs?

I ended up running a heat pad out there. I figured its probably my safest bet to add a little warmth. Just dont trust a light bulb out there. Coop catches fire and its catching my shed(several jugs of gas) and a pretty good sized oak tree on fire.
    Dont wanna sound cruel but chickens are easily replaced if one or two do die from the cold. It would suck but it is part of having "farm" animals.
    Ive had hawks kill them and some just drop dead out of the blue. With chickens you just never know when their time is up.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    100 watt light bulbs in a proper fixture shouldn't catch anything on fire.
    But... not my chicken coup.

How about getting (well, I guess it's too late now) a weather station with a remote temperature probe. Then you can see what the temp is from the house.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I think I was TOO lazy today.
    I figure I'd go to South Side Control for a flame rod for the furnace tomorrow.

Ummmm.. a LOT of places gonna be closed tomorrow. Looks like I'll get to test my emergency heating system to an extreme. :)

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    100 watt light bulbs in a proper fixture shouldn't catch anything on fire.
    But... not my chicken coup.

How about getting (well, I guess it's too late now) a weather station with a remote temperature probe. Then you can see what the temp is from the house.

Its not just the fire risk when it comes to using a bulb for a heat source, although a 100 watt bulb is roughly between 150-200° which i believe would be more than enough to set dry hay on fire. The light will actually screw with their natural body functions, tricking them into thinking its daylight. Plus they wont sleep at all with an actual bulb in there. I believe they'll be just fine. My coop is not huge and i have 6 chickens. With their natural body heat and insulation i added as well as sealing all drafts will be a big help.. Will post an update in the morning as to if they survived. 8am should be the coldest temp of the day at -23 with wind chill, which shouldn't play a factor, at -50.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Its not just the fire risk when it comes to using a bulb for a heat source, although a 100 watt bulb is roughly between 150-200° which i believe would be more than enough to set dry hay on fire. The light will actually screw with their natural body functions, tricking them into thinking its daylight. Plus they wont sleep at all with an actual bulb in there. I believe they'll be just fine. My coop is not huge and i have 6 chickens. With their natural body heat and insulation i added as well as sealing all drafts will be a big help.. Will post an update in the morning as to if they survived. 8am should be the coldest temp of the day at -23 with wind chill, which shouldn't play a factor, at -50.

so we have 2 wait for our kfc now...
    :faint:

i heard we were getting free kfc!
    we need our chicken fix don't you know.

so how is everyone holding up?
    don't forget to start your cars while this is going on.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    I've been off work, and the kids have been off school, since Friday. Now the wife is off for the next two days, also; does anyone know if "The Shining" is on Netflix?

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I think I was TOO lazy today.
    I figure I'd go to South Side Control for a flame rod for the furnace tomorrow.

Ummmm.. a LOT of places gonna be closed tomorrow. Looks like I'll get to test my emergency heating system to an extreme. :)

Good luck there.
    The last time it was brutally cold like this every gas station's pump electronics were malfunctioning where no one could get gas. Hope everyone filled up!

Working from home, yet again, but I've chosen to consider this cold snap as a blessing since we are still unboxing and such after the move. Filled up the bed of my truck with flattened boxes yesterday. In the 5 minutes I was at the recycling site yesterday it dropped 5 degrees on the dash.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I've got a -20 with wind chill of -56 right now. Just checked on the chickens and they're ok. Took a vacation day today and quite possibly do the same tomorrow

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom