Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    sounds like facebook marketplace.
    thanks but NO F.. THANKS!!!

tall fences, brick walls, big dogs, imperial stormies all make for good keep the nosiey neighboors away.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In

tall fences, brick walls, big dogs, imperial stormies all make for good keep the nosiey neighboors away.
    Kind of what I thought. Almost like letting neighbors know too much personal info.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Thank goodness there isn't a HOA around here. Heard so much bad stuff about them and their rules.

I'm in an HOA that actually protects my right to shoot on my land. I have nothing bad to say about my HOA or its rules (which in the case of my HOA is actually a virtual lack of rules). But when it came down to a complaint about my shooting noise, the HOA protected me because shooting is protected. And when I put a 500 gallon diesel tank on the property, again the HOA protected me from a complaining neighbor.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I'm in an HOA that actually protects my right to shoot on my land. I have nothing bad to say about my HOA or its rules (which in the case of my HOA is actually a virtual lack of rules). But when it came down to a complaint about my shooting noise, the HOA protected me because shooting is protected. And when I put a 500 gallon diesel tank on the property, again the HOA protected me from a complaining neighbor.
    So you ended up the same as you would have if you didn't have a HOA?

What do you gain from being in it?

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI

Exactly why people like you always are on the news saying you had no idea the serial killer rapist eggplant smuggler lived next door. "he was a nice quiet guy. kept to himself":noway:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    So you ended up the same as you would have if you didn't have a HOA?

What do you gain from being in it?

Minimum building standards on the lots around me that help protect my property value. Our HOA mainly exists to regulate construction on lots and then to maintain the private roadway and plow the snow. Houses have to be a minimum 2400sq ft, must be built on site (no modular), natural materials (no vinyl siding), etc. So there is some advantage to upholding property value. No commercial activity can occur on the properties, businesses can't be run out of home, so traffic is minimal. etc.

I did not buy my land because I wanted to be in a HOA. I bought it because the homesite is very private, I'm on a ridge with a 60' drop down to the river to my west. I can not see the house to my north or my east, yet both are my neighbors. My guest house/workshop block the view of the house to my south. To my west is a 1/2 mile of regulated flood plane that can never be built upon. Being built on the ridgeline I have views that are miles long. Its one of the nicest building sites for a home I've seen in NW Indiana ... it just happened to be inside a HOA ... and I worked with the developer on buying this property even before the HOA was ever written up and he & I saw the role of the HOA similarly so I didn't see (and still don't see) any problems with HOA for my property.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom