51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Northwest Indiana Paddling Association is proud to present:
    The 2015 Little Calumet River
    Bald Eagle Paddle
    May 16th, 2015
    NWIPA_SM
    Northwest Indiana Paddling Association is a 501c3 non-profit organization dedicated to canoeing, kayaking, blueways stewardship, and paddling safety education.
    Find out more and become a member at NWIPA Home

Thanks to our generous sponsors that made this event possible:
    BP,
    LCRBDC,
    Hammond Parks Foundation,
    Friends of the Little Calumet River

Start your season with a paddle
    through an urban wilderness
    Learn about the recreational opportunities along the West Branch of the Little Calumet River. Enjoy wilderness and wildlife in your own back yard. Come to paddle and find out about this wonderful resource in our community!
    Long thought to be an unusable urban ditch, this is no longer the case. The Little Calumet River has recovered and is now becoming a rich wildlife habitat, with many species of birds, fish, mammals, and plants thriving in this natural wonder in your own back yard. And what better way to enjoy it than from the seat of your canoe or kayak?
    Join NWIPA for a paddle on the Little Calumet River on May 16th! This year’s event consists only of the paddling event – no other activities are planned.

WHERE:
    Oxbow Park, Hammond IN
    Turn east off Kennedy Ave. at the stoplight between the river and I-80/94. Follow the signs. We will put in at the west edge of Oxbow Park.
    TIME:
    Saturday, May 16th
    Registration begins at 9:00 am.
    Following a safety orientation, launching in groups will begin at 9:30 am.
    The last launch time is at Noon (in order to be able to catch the shuttle back to the starting point). The last shuttle from Grant St. back to Oxbow Landing is at 3 pm.
    Bring your own canoe or kayak, or...
    RENTALS:
    Chicago River Canoe and Kayak will provide discounted rental canoes and kayaks for those who reserve them ahead of time. The number of rental canoes & kayaks are limited so it is good idea to reserve them well in advance. Please contact Ryan Chew at ryanwc@sbcglobal.net
    SHUTTLES:
    A shuttle bus - for people only (no boats) - will run from the take-out point at Grant Street back to the launch point in the afternoon. The last shuttle will be at 3 pm.
    COST:
    Free! But a $5 donation to NWIPA will be appreciated.
    DETAILS:
    Free shirts for the first 120 participants.
    Paddlers should pack a lunch and bring drinking water.
    We will paddle 6 miles from Oxbow Landing to Grant St.
    For the safety of everyone, all paddlers must wear PFD's during the entire paddle, and no alcohol use is allowed during the event.
    NWIPA volunteers will be there to assist you with launching and landing your boat, give safety tips to novices, and be an on-water guide as you enjoy this hidden gem of a waterway in our own back yards.
    Don't forget your camera to capture all the fun and wildlife!
    Mike at mike_echterling@yahoo.com (219-808-0457)
    or
    Erik at laivotais@yahoo.com (219-616-8118)
    Volunteers Needed:
    We still need help with registration and boat handling. Your help as a volunteer with NWIPA will be greatly appreciated.
    To help, contact Gayle at:
    gaallyn@gmail.com or 219-793-6967

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Looking at getting some stamped concrete or pavers installed. So far I have talked to Creekside and Whites custom. I think I am leaning toward the pavers just because I can always add on and replace (if needed). Has anyone used Creekside?
    Nope. We used Holley's Landscaping. They did a great job on our outdoor Kitchen.
    Small%20Kitchen.jpg

I'm not sure if my wife has this open to everyone or not.
    Kitchen Facebook Pictures

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    That looks great! Too bad I spent too much extra money on guns and ammo last year. Happy and sad all at the same time, lol. I will checkout them too. I think I just need pavers for a 14x25 foot area, sounds like $17 per foot from one guy and waiting to hear back from a couple more before deciding. Not sure if that is a fair price or not. Am in sales so I never beat the crap out of someone but I don't want to over pay a bunch either. I figure a few bids should give me some insight to a field I know nothing about.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    That looks great! Too bad I spent too much extra money on guns and ammo last year. Happy and sad all at the same time, lol. I will checkout them too. I think I just need pavers for a 14x25 foot area, sounds like $17 per foot from one guy and waiting to hear back from a couple more before deciding. Not sure if that is a fair price or not. Am in sales so I never beat the crap out of someone but I don't want to over pay a bunch either. I figure a few bids should give me some insight to a field I know nothing about.
    Thanks. It is really nice. We spent a LOT more than we originally planned. The granite cost almost half what we originally planned to spend by itself.

My only advice is make sure they put down a good foundation bed for the stones.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    In my experience pavers are a never ending project. After 10 years my neighbor got tired of constantly adjusting his and had them ripped up and had concrete put in. He would have been far ahead on money and money and anger if he had used concrete from the get go.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    In my experience pavers are a never ending project. After 10 years my neighbor got tired of constantly adjusting his and had them ripped up and had concrete put in. He would have been far ahead on money and money and anger if he had used concrete from the get go.
    Did he put them in himself?

Ours are now 2&3 years old and haven't needed any adjusting at all.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Had it professionally done. It appears yours are under roof, very different conditions than being rained on and freezing and thawing. Ive known quite a few others that have had pavers professionally installed and they all require tweaking from time to time.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Had it professionally done. It appears yours are under roof, very different conditions than being rained on and freezing and thawing. Ive known quite a few others that have had pavers professionally installed and they all require tweaking from time to time.
    That is a pergola, not a roof. I guess we will see.

Patio%201-5-14.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom