Not open for further replies.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Used to eat there when it was New Moon. Was my favorite Chinese place. I probably shouldn't mention that I used to know the fire marshal who did the fire inspection in Munster and spotted a side of dog hanging in the cooler... Yes I still ate there after that. He's pretty sure it was for personal/special customer order only.

Make it at least three...

Back on the subject of food. Anyone know if El Taco Real in Hammond or Casa Blanca in E.C. is still good? Haven't been to either one in years.
    Both are still open.
    If you are looking for more traditional Mexican food try....

Screenshot_20230209_115043_Maps.jpg

Or

Screenshot_20230209_115015_Maps.jpg

The rule of thumb is *if* the place serves "tortads" which is the US equivalent of a Hamburger then you know you are at a small mom/pop shop that caters to the working class.

Screenshot_20230209_115226_Opera.jpg

And the food will most likely be good and reasonable priced.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Upscale mexican restaurants and "catered to non-mexican" Mexican restaurants FROWN upon adding the tortada to their menus as in Mexico it is considered a poor man's item and discrimination/disparity between the social classes in Mexican culture is MUCH greater than in the US.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    It saddens me, but doesn't shock me. They are all animals. The line between pets and food is different with different cultures. When I was in Hong Kong, I walked past a big open-air meat market and there was a basket of kittens.
    I won't say it saddens me, at least no more than any other meat. If it was my dog I'd be saddened. And trust me I'm not a vegetarian and do own and love dogs. I know people that have a variety of pets that most if not all of the people in this thread would see as food. Chickens, goats, pigs, sheep. Heck how many people have fish tanks?
    Super hard for me to get that through my head. But it is reality and you'll never stop it.

Bae made 2 trips to China and brought back 12 dogs each time taken from the markets.

After that she said she'd never go back. Ever.

Both are still open.
    If you are looking for more traditional Mexican food try....

View attachment 254136

Or

View attachment 254137

The rule of thumb is *if* the place serves "tortads" which is the US equivalent of a Hamburger then you know you are at a small mom/pop shop that caters to the working class.

View attachment 254140

And the food will most likely be good and reasonable priced.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    It has been warm for several days now. It hit 40° yesterday. Our snow is about half gone and has that ugly, dirty, half-gone look. I wish this would continue but I know better.
    Yd073KU.jpg

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Super hard for me to get that through my head. But it is reality and you'll never stop it.

Bae made 2 trips to China and brought back 12 dogs each time taken from the markets.

After that she said she'd never go back. Ever.

I guess 24 dogs lasts a long time? You must have big freezer.

:@ya: .

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I won't say it saddens me, at least no more than any other meat. If it was my dog I'd be saddened. And trust me I'm not a vegetarian and do own and love dogs. I know people that have a variety of pets that most if not all of the people in this thread would see as food. Chickens, goats, pigs, sheep. Heck how many people have fish tanks?

I have the same feelings. I would never let someone tell me I cannot eat beef pork (even though millions of people don’t) so who am I to tell someone they can’t eat dog….?

When my dad was in the navy he was stationed somewhere and he kept going back to this taco place because the tacos were the best he’d ever had… then he found out it was cat didn’t go back. But still said they were the best tacos

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I have the same feelings. I would never let someone tell me I cannot eat beef pork (even though millions of people don’t) so who am I to tell someone they can’t eat dog….?

When my dad was in the navy he was stationed somewhere and he kept going back to this taco place because the tacos were the best he’d ever had… then he found out it was cat didn’t go back. But still said they were the best tacos
    My brother used to get tacos from some little hole in the wall place in the harbor, he raved about them. I think it was a little pop up place that set up once a week or something like that. One time he brought a bunch over to my moms house for dinner. My mom only ate one. After everyone was done eating she said why... She didn't want to ruin everybody's dinner. I will say they were some very tasty tacos.

A friend's parents fed me dog one time. I was picking him up to go out and he was running late. His parents had immigrated here from S.E. Asia, forget which country. It was their anniversary and his mom made a special dinner. The look on his face when he walked in and saw me eating with them was priceless.

thefinnnwi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Northwest Indiana/ Japan
    Wow! Did you do any tuna fishing over there?
    Are you bringing back fresh Sushi to share with everyone? :dunno:
    No, and no. lol. I did a lot of surf fishing, but no chartered rides. I honestly don't like fish, cant stand the texture (However, I did eat a lot of bass and trout growing up that I didn't mind). It doesn't help that I'm allergic to Iodine, so a lot of things over here I couldn't eat. The fortunate thing is my wife is from Okinawa, so we eat a lot of pork in my housem. I didn't really have to worry a lot about fish (even though I do all the cooking), as we pretty much only eat cod and salmon.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    No, and no. lol. I did a lot of surf fishing, but no chartered rides. I honestly don't like fish, cant stand the texture (However, I did eat a lot of bass and trout growing up that I didn't mind). It doesn't help that I'm allergic to Iodine, so a lot of things over here I couldn't eat. The fortunate thing is my wife is from Okinawa, so we eat a lot of pork in my housem. I didn't really have to worry a lot about fish (even though I do all the cooking), as we pretty much only eat cod and salmon.
    I was thinking it would be fun to catch a tuna and sell it over there. They pay a LOT for a nice Blue Fin, the record is over $3Million. That worked out to a little over $5Thousand per pound. That much is really rare but one could still get a significant amount for a nice one.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom