• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    My career Navy nephew, a staunch conservative, just got promoted to Captain! He now is in charge of one of our nuclear submarines! How cool is that?

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    That is very cool. Congrats. I have recently read a couple of books with German uboats as the subject matter. I blame Das Boot and having toured U505 at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago for that.

The accommodations and technology difference now to then would be mind boggling. I would think this responsibility is quite an accomplishment and an honor.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    My career Navy nephew, a staunch conservative, just got promoted to Captain! He now is in charge of one of our nuclear submarines! How cool is that?

Please extend my congratulations to your nephew on both his promotion and his quality of thinking.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I've worked on 5 nuke subs. Captains get a lot of respect, huge honor. That is awesome, rare too. To be a captain on a nuke means you are the cream of the cream. Congratulations!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    A quote from "The Hunt For Red October". I love that movie.

It was a good movie, but I didn't really enjoy it. What I learned from it is to ignore the conventional wisdom, watch the movie first, enjoy it, and then read the book which fills in the gaps and expands the story such that I can enjoy it as much again. Unfortunately, in this case, I read the book first so the truncated version that the movie necessarily has to be was a disappointment (although not nearly the disappointment that the weasel-like Clark was in the movie 'Clear and Present Danger' after forming a far better image from the book, which, again, I read first).

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Huge honor for him. Add me to the list of congratulations. Which sub? I work on several DOD electronics programs. Maybe he uses some of my equipment,

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    What I learned from it is to ignore the conventional wisdom, watch the movie first, enjoy it, and then read the book which fills in the gaps and expands the story such that I can enjoy it as much again.

I believe this is true in most cases. If one enjoys reading and can place oneself into the book, there is no movie / theater like the mind. As you stated, add the time constraints of a movie (the 14 hours or whatever it was of "The Lord Of The Rings" may be an exception to time constraints...).

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Well, Jimmy Carter was a nuclear (pronounced New-kia) sub captain. Maybe can reset the balance a little.

Carter was never a Sub captain, little alone a nuclear one, his highest rank was Lieutenant.

If he would have had command of his own sub, he might of had a different look upon the military and not disassembled the Navy the way he did.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Bravo Zulu

He has earned that position. Two tours on SSN676, three Captains, two Med runs, three northern runs, one under ice and countless hours of stores loads and weapons loads under my belt. My memories of time spent on Billfish are some of the best and worst of my life. He has a level of respect seldom reached.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    That's an outstanding accomplishment! I'm sure that he has earned it - in every sense of the word!

A friend of mine, her husband is a recently "installed" supply officer on a boomer out of Kitsap. Not a bad billet for a formerly enlisted guy who was asked to consider being an Officer - and essentially given a college education. From reading my friend's FB posts, he's had a literal whirl-wind three years with the Navy.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Congrats to your nephew. There are probably more powerball winners walking around than past/current boomer captains.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    He has earned that position. Two tours on SSN676, three Captains, two Med runs, three northern runs, one under ice and countless hours of stores loads and weapons loads under my belt. My memories of time spent on Billfish are some of the best and worst of my life. He has a level of respect seldom reached.
    Crew Photos

you are showing your age. that sub is in a museum.

Top Bottom