NTSB wants ignition interlock technology in all new vehicles.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    That depends on how good the hacker is. 60 Minutes did a segment where the hacker was able to take over all the controls normally done by the control unit. He could disable braking, squirt the windshield washers, etc. And that was over 5 years ago. More electronics means more control when hacked.

Except when the systems don't connect. The most secure system is one that isn't on the network, and the systems in the cars don't all talk to each other. Hence why you can do more infotainment stuff than operational stuff. 60 minutes was a scare job that worked. As you said, 5 years ago and how many real world incidents have occurred since? None. What's that tell you?

Steering-by-wire and throttle-by-wire are more common all the time.

They are pretty much universal. That does not mean the systems are connected to "the network".

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Except when the systems don't connect. The most secure system is one that isn't on the network, and the systems in the cars don't all talk to each other. Hence why you can do more infotainment stuff than operational stuff. 60 minutes was a scare job that worked. As you said, 5 years ago and how many real world incidents have occurred since? None. What's that tell you?

They are pretty much universal. That does not mean the systems are connected to "the network".
    Well good. I sure feel better now.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    You can't. The "hacked" car systems don't allow you that level of control. You may be able to start it or turn it off remotely, but you can't steer it. It doesn't turn it into an RC car, in other words. You can probably do a lot more in the infotainment stuff than you can in the operation of the vehicle stuff.
    I'd say for most cars that is true. For some of the cars such as Tesla with their auto summon feature, or others with auto pilot the computer can control steering as well as gas and brake. Is it likely? Probably not. Is it possible? Maybe.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    It's been a long time, but let me see if I remember... up and left for reverse... down and left for 1st, up and right for 2nd, and down and right for 3rd...
    So... you say you are not under 50?? :oldwise:

3 on the column is really the easiest manual shift to drive. Gravity works from 1st to 2nd, straight down for 3rd. 3 on the floor? I missed 3rd a lot wih the close ratio and the t-handle at 45 degrees (I never missed 2nd.) With headers and glass-packs everybody knew when I missed a gear!

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Every time I think about getting a "classic" I think of two things:

1) This will suck to drive cross country

2) The headlights are *trash*

I've really really come to appreciate HID or LED Projector headlights, as I've hit that age where night vision involves a certain amount of guesswork. Like, I guess the road turns here. I guess that's probably a driveway. I guess that's just a small depression and not a massive hole.

As an around town toy, I'd like to have an old Highboy or the like. Hell, even an OJ Bronco has a certain appeal. But not for my real vehicle.
    I will agree on points 1 and 2, but I always liked the 64-66 F100 body style. You still see a few around, but they are getting to be few and far between.

Lpherr

Occupied

3 on the column is really the easiest manual shift to drive. Gravity works from 1st to 2nd, straight down for 3rd. 3 on the floor? I missed 3rd a lot wih the close ratio and the t-handle at 45 degrees (I never missed 2nd.) With headers and glass-packs everybody knew when I missed a gear!
    I had a '72 Chevelle SS with the Muncie close ratio 4 speed.
    Bringing it home after purchase, I couldn't believe what a pooch it was off the line.
    Once I was home, and putting it in reverse to back in the driveway, I found first gear.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Well, I worded it badly, but I was basically right. By "left and down" or "right and down" I meant basically stay on that side. And that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

1663974835701.png

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I had a '72 Chevelle SS with the Muncie close ratio 4 speed.
    Bringing it home after purchase, I couldn't believe what a pooch it was off the line.
    Once I was home, and putting it in reverse to back in the driveway, I found first gear.

I had a rental that had reverse where 1st is in the Chevy 6 speed pattern. I will say on an incline where I had to stop and push a button to open the parking garage door it was a damn good thing nobody was behind me. I'd have backed in to them *hard*. Only made that mistake once but I had to eat a lot of fiber to get the seat back out of my ass where I puckered so hard.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'd say for most cars that is true. For some of the cars such as Tesla with their auto summon feature, or others with auto pilot the computer can control steering as well as gas and brake. Is it likely? Probably not. Is it possible? Maybe.

Do those respond strictly to the fob or is the feature connected to the in car network? I'm out of my depth with Tesla internal workings since I have so little interest in owning one. Wouldn't you have to have the fob so it knows where to come to?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Do those respond strictly to the fob or is the feature connected to the in car network? I'm out of my depth with Tesla internal workings since I have so little interest in owning one. Wouldn't you have to have the fob so it knows where to come to?
    Tesla's "auto summon" works from the phone app. But only when the phone is within 6 meters, but I believe that is a safety limitation not a mechanical one. Allegedly Tesla did it remotely to help repo a car.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

I've really really come to appreciate HID or LED Projector headlights, as I've hit that age where night vision involves a certain amount of guesswork. Like, I guess the road turns here. I guess that's probably a driveway. I guess that's just a small depression and not a massive hole.

As an around town toy, I'd like to have an old Highboy or the like. Hell, even an OJ Bronco has a certain appeal. But not for my real vehicle.
    Yeah, as part of my Cherokee rebuild, I put a different headlight wiring system on. One that does not get powered from the switch but takes direct battery power. That significantly increases my light output with stock headlights.

The next step for me are some Hella H4's. That in combination with the wiring should provide enough light for me.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

Two things to help.

I replaced all the old lighting on the Dodge with LED drop in replacements, only down side was I had to find low amperage turn signal breakers but they were available.

Check your eyes for cataracts, my "new eyes" have made a big difference.

Top Bottom