Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    BUG,

I insist you don’t donate to the NRA!

You need to donate to the “paradise” I plan on building in Guyana!
    A low tax deductible contribution of $9,127.00 will save a place for you!
    Does this include the kool aid, or is that extra?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    One thing is for certain. There can BE NO ARGUMENT that the dems/libs/anti-gunners hate the NRA with a passion. What does that tell us??? :dunno:

Airtevron1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 10, 2019
    IN
    I’m starting my own 2A lobbying group . You all can get in on the ground floor for only $20.00 per year and I won’t pay myself as much as le pew.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'll put my flame suit on before I post this...

"Wayne LaPierre, the embattled chief executive of the National Rifle Association, banked a 57 percent pay hike last year — amid the din of calls for him to retire, a report said. The nonprofit group’s latest tax filings show LaPierre received a base salary of $1.3 million, plus a bonus of $455,000 and “other reportable compensation” of more than $427,000, The Washington Post reported Friday. La*Pierre, 70, also received an additional $73,793 in “retirement and other deferred compensation” and “nontaxable benefits” from the NRA and related entities, according to the filings."

I for one couldn't sleep at night due to worrying whether or not Wayne LaP was being paid a living wage for all of his Herculean efforts on our behalf. Now I can rest easy knowing that he won't need SNAP this year.

Whew!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    A couple things to keep in mind. NRA-ILA (PAC, boots on the ground during elections) receives no money from membership. We are less than a year out of an election and there are two uber-lib SCOTUS Justices over 80. That's a chance at 7-2, not 5-4.

Unfortunately, too few people know or understand that NRA and NRA-ILA are related, but distinct entities with completely separate revenue streams. When Wayne LaP is begging for money for NRA, it's not the same thing as when NRA-ILA solicits for contributions to do their work. People see double solicitations and it seems as though NRA is always asking for for more money (which they kind of are, but there is still a point to be made here).

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    What have you done to place yourself in such a position?

Me, I'm content with my choices and where I am at in life. Wayne can have his life. I don't care.

I care that the NRA could be more effective than it is, and I'm not so sure that Wayne's salary has anything to do with that.

This class warfare stuff is a distraction

I don't hold LaP blameless, but the class-based infighting doesn't help anything. It's like we're doing the left and extreme left's dirty work for them by driving a phony wedge based on perceived wealth inequity.

On the upside, the constant scrutiny of NRA and NRA-ILA is a good thing, even if diluted by the feelings and rhetoric.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You don't even have to make people see it your way. You are perfectly free to withhold your dues/membership from the NRA, go get 'em tiger

You are not free to insist we do likewise. One would think the current situation vis a vis Trump would discourage the tendency to blame the people you're trying to lead to water when you can't get them to drink. Sounds more like a leadership issue

Even if you're using "you" rhetorically, it seems to me that you're arguing against people that don't exist. Who is telling you that YOU must withhold YOUR membership from the NRA? What *I* see, some people are criticizing the NRA because of the allegations against WLP. I see some other people not reacting well to the NRA being criticized. It's fair enough to ask for more evidence that the criticism is warranted, but to act like it's blaspheme even to say a word against the NRA isn't helping anything.

It's okay, given the information out there, for people to say they suspect WLP is doing things with their money he shouldn't be doing. It's okay, given the information out there, to think maybe the allegations could be exaggerated. That shouldn't be a divisive issue among gun owners. We can talk about what should be done with that information. We don't have to be at each others throats and wag fingers and call names.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Does this include the kool aid, or is that extra?

I think at this point there may be enough koolaid to go around. It looks to me like a lot of the information is kinda damning for WLP. But it's not a slam dunk. It's something that warrants some kind of independent investigation. People have invested a lot in the NRA and the NRA, historically, has been helpful on pro-gun issues. I can see why a lot of people would be reluctant to accept information that isn't a slam dunk. So it seems to me that along with the people who don't want to believe there's any wrongdoing, I think there are some people on the other side of that who really want to believe it without proof. So maybe both sides could lighten up on that a bit and just care more about what they know is real.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    One thing is for certain. There can BE NO ARGUMENT that the dems/libs/anti-gunners hate the NRA with a passion. What does that tell us??? :dunno:

About all that tells us is that some people hate the NRA with a passion. Seems reasonable to conclude that they would cheer if the NRA lost power. That doesn't mean people should plug their ears to potential corruption within the NRA because a corrupt NRA isn't as effective. It's okay to criticize the NRA. It's okay to see areas where your side could and should improve. It's okay to be leery about donating to an organization when you think it may be misusing your money. It's okay to think you should still support the NRA even when there are these allegations around. What's not good or helpful is drawing lines between gun owners that define the other side that you must be against.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    What have you done to place yourself in such a position?

Me, I'm content with my choices and where I am at in life. Wayne can have his life. I don't care.

I care that the NRA could be more effective than it is, and I'm not so sure that Wayne's salary has anything to do with that.

This class warfare stuff is a distraction.

What Wayne spends with his money is his business. If the allegations are true, it's not his dime he's spending, and it does make it his member's business. I would like to see these allegations investigated independently, fairly. It looks like there's enough smoke to justify that. About his pay, compared with similar .orgs, it seems he's a bit overpaid. I don't see what he's done to earn a 57% raise if that's what it really works out to.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yeah. I'd wager that not one person active in this thread isn't aware of the rabidly anti-gun people's opinion about the NRA. It doesn't really add anything to the conversation we're having here.

Top Bottom