• Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    Is there a fee?

I'm thinking about taking it.

Even though I served in the Marine Corps Reserve, my military pistol instruction consisted of about 1 hour with a worn out 1911 while in boot camp...way back in 1984.

What I've learned since then, which ain't much admittedly, I've basically taught myself.

Now...I ain't too bright, but I'm smart enough to know that I don't know it all.

I bet it would behoove me to take the course, but I'm a cheap (and broke) bastard, and I don't want to pay for it.

Your reflective thoughts on this matter are greatly appreciated.

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Zoomie, it's $35 iirc.. , 8:30 am.. Shoot first, ask questions later..:dunno:

You should put your kids in as well.. and bring some shooting gloves cause it's gonna be cold and crappy..:D If yer really cheap I have a nice rimfire pistoli you can use for the class..

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    Rimfires? :laugh: I ain't THAT cheap! But I am cheap enough to take the course and then impart the priceless knowledge to my offspring...

100 9mm rounds can be had at WallyWorld for $20.

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Rimfires? :laugh: I ain't THAT cheap! But I am cheap enough to take the course and then impart the priceless knowledge to my offspring...

100 9mm rounds can be had at WallyWorld for $20.

Thats not gonna do me any good, I don't have a 9mm. but I did meet a guy at the range last trip that got a .357 sig to fire .40 SW so I guess anything is possible in the name of savings.. :D "just need a bigger hammer"

My kid is doing the course.. My wife was gonna but she already bagged out on account of the forecast.. I did it when I was 13 but thats a whole nutter story.

So, are you gonna do it or interview my kid afterward so you can teach your kids? Do you separate 2 ply toilet paper so you can make 2 rolls for the price of one?:spend::stickpoke:

See you Saturday morning, :D

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    What do they teach in the course?
    If it's just safety and function...I'll pass.
    I'm thinking I need to work more on stuff about shooting techniques/stance, etc....

BeeRian

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Im the lead instructor for the class Saturday at Eagle Creek. I think Steve (our Cheif RO) has the fee set at $50 per person and right now the class may be getting full. Im not certian. I used to work every weekend as an RO, but just fill in to teach the classes when we have them. If your interested in the course I suggest contacting him about it.

ecpr@sbcglobal.net

We buy materials for the class and need a head count before to make sure we have enough for everyone coming. We also are limited in the number of students based on the Eagle Creek ROs and myself being able to provide adequate and safe supervision when we get to the range time.

The class consists of about 6 total hours of class time covering all the basics of handguns. We cover history of guns, safe handeling of guns, maintainence and cleaning of guns, the components of guns, ballistics and ammunition, and basic shooting techniques and principles. Everyone I have had in class has been interested in personal protection issues as well so we cover some of the basics in that area also.

Range time usually depends on the students. 1 1/2-2+ hours is typical. If there is only 2-3 students I can teach that quite closely and safely, but we may already have ten students coming for Saturdays class, and I only have a limited number of ROs who may be able to help on the line.

EVERYONE will pass this class. Failing is not the goal of the class. We want people to learn and have fun. I want peolple to feel like all the questions they had were answered and that they leave the class haveing learned what they wanted to.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me or contact Steve at the e-mail address provided above about attending the class.

Brian

Last edited:

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    What Brian said.

If you're just looking to improve your technique, we can 'usually' do that right on the line (if we aren't stacked up like we were Sunday....). The only 'fee' for that is the 20.00 you pay to shoot.

The fee for the full NRA sanctioned class is 50.00 per person. We knocked 25.00 off since this is the last class of the year. Most other NRA classes in the area are 100.00 minimum. I told one gent his young son could take the class for 35.00 'cause I'm a helluva nice guy when it comes to kids learning firearm safety.

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    Great Class

Very informative, Steve, Brian, and Eric? were great!

As a gun newbie I'm very glad I took this course. The classroom time was excellent in discussing firearms safety, revolver/pistol functions, calibers, etc.

On the range the guys were great in helping us get started and had alot of different pistols to try. Thanks Steve, Brian, and Eric for all your hospitality.

It was cold out but it was fun!

Thanks again!

BeeRian

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Im really glad you enjoyed the class and felt that you got out of the class what you wanted.

I do have to admit, we were not expecting so many students. The biggest class we have ever had before was 5, so 15 was a real shock.

I do wish we could have had more range time for some of the who commented they would have liked it, but we were limited that day due to Metro needing the range in the afternoon.

Steve and I have discussed how to better handle larger numbers of people interested in the class.

In the future we will limit the class to a MAXIMUM of 6 students. If there are more people interested, we will just offer additional dates to put on the class. The limited range time was an anomoly with Metro needing the place in the afternoon. Normally we dont deal with that, and in the future we will try to offer the class when we can have more time on the range.

Still, there were many positive comments both writen and spoken to us for and about the class. We just want to offer the best we can and provide as much one on one attention any of our students need.

Thanks for the thanks!

Last edited:

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    What Brian said :rockwoot:

When I saw all the folks who said they were going to show up actually showed up, I was glad I was out on the line for the first half :):

Thanks to all who braved the cold (and my bad jokes).

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Just curious. Is there some sort of certification or special licensing that you get for completing this course? Or is it just for personal learning reasons?...JC

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    You get a certificate from the NRA stating you have completed the Basic Handgun class. We give you the certificate right after the class.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Without continuing down the page and onto later pages, are these courses something you guys routinely give notice about on the forum?

I've told my wife that I'd like her to take a basic pistol course, and knowing when and where (and eventually who, the longer I'm here) would help.

BeeRian

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    When we have the classes greatly depends on interest and also avaliability of the classroom and range at Eagle Creek. Those interested can contact Eagle Creek range through the email address on the website.

The classes are organized by sjstill and he will usually try to plan a class when he gets a few folks who express some interest. One problem we have to work with is the range is also used by the Metro Police for training, so some weekends we (the public) dont have access.

If you're interested in the class you can email sjstill at ecpr@sbcglobal.net or PM sjstill.

Top Bottom