• ...and so much more!
  • rockydog

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Lake Wawasee Northern IN
    Those that have reloaded with these probably already know these need to pretty much be seated close to the minimum length to function properly in a 45ACP. If I do not seat these to the minimum called for in my reloading manual (1.225"), the slides on all of my 45s will not return fully forward. I do use a "factory crimp" which I'm sure makes it harder for the slide to further seat the bullet. I don't usually seat at the absolute minimum unless I have to, but even .020" made a difference on these.

I really like the way these shoot and I thought I'd save someone reloading with these a headache or two. :twocents:

pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    hmm always good to talk to someone reloading similar components when you're having issues. I have been loading the 230 gr XTPs and found that my Dan Wesson doesn't like them. My Gov Model Colt does OK, but the DW jams pretty consistently. When I take the electronic calipers to these, I see that I'm seating a random set of three cartridges to OAL of 1.22 inches. Wish I could get these to run as I have about 500 more and I hate jamming ammo

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    As long as you work up the load at the shorter length, they'll be perfectly safe. Just back off 10% and work up.

You might need a heavier recoil spring, but check and see if they'll drop into your barrel and headspace.

pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have taken out the barrel and the cartridges drop in and out, no problem, they also seat well enough so that the slide slams home just fine... just won't feed after the first couple. Hardball does fine... I just don't run them in the DW

rockydog

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Lake Wawasee Northern IN
    Just be sure they are dropping all the way in :) For me, spring strength wouldn't have helped unless it was strong enough to further seat the bullet. The shape/angle of the bullet it's self was hitting the rifling. The further I seated the bullet, the further it dropped in. to function properly in all of my guns, I have to keep within .005" of the Min OAL. These bullets have a gaping hollow point in them so I suspect they are long for there weight.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    crimp them to .496 to .471...i bet your troubles go away....for the 5 1911's i have .471 is the best...:twocents:

as far as manuals go i just use them for powder charge....if they drop in and fall out there good to go...

Top Bottom