• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    What a beautiful spring day we had this past Sunday. I was able to spend most of it at the range. While there I shot a few of my guns, and decided to take some pics and do a review of my HK 416 .22lr.
    I've owned this rifle since Jan of 2012, so I've had it a few years. I don't want to sound like I'm bragging but I do have a decent sized collection, and yes I own some I have never fired. But my typical routine is once they're dirty, they will go on a few range trips, then once clean they may sit for years until going back in the rotation. This one has sat more than it has been fired, mainly do to the scarcity of .22 ammo. I have been finding some on-line on occasion, and have built up enough that I felt like blasting through some of it, shooting a .22 rifle always makes me feel like a kid again, which is a feeling I enjoy.

Now I know this rifle loves CCI Mini-Mags and Federal 525 bulk packs (I haven't had those in about 4 years), anyway I was able to recently buy some CCI AR Tactical and some American Eagle .22 ammo, so I thought I would give it a try and see how my rifle likes it, as most of us know, .22's are inherently picky. When I was looking at buying a tactical .22, I read that the Smith & Wesson and the HK were the most reliable ones out there, with the Colt getting bad reviews.
    The HK and the Colt are not manufactured by either one of those company's, in fact they are both made by Walther with the HK and Colt roll marks. Which I didn't understand how one Walther product was getting better reviews than the other.

Anyway I chose the HK over the Smith, just for the "cool" factor alone, I like to own unique weapons, it keeps it interesting for me. So I was mainly shooting at 25 and 50 yards at plastic bottles filled with water. Any plastic bottle at my house that can hold water becomes a target, so they are all different shapes and sizes, from skinny shampoo bottles, to ketchup, soda and anything else that can hold water without leaking.
    And they are fun to shoot with hollow point ammo, as they make a nice little explosion. They are nice reactive targets, and they are sure to keep the attention of kids of all ages. All in all a nice relaxing Sunday at the range, much better than mowing the lawn or anything else that needs done around the house, every now and then we all need to take time to enjoy our hobby.

I have my rifle outfitted with a Primary Arms Micro dot in a PA mount, for what it is, it is a decent little optic for a .22 rifle. Anyway as you might imagine my little HK ran the American Eagle and CCI Tactical without a hiccup.
    Nice and almost boring in it's reliability and accuracy. So for those of you that may have been thinking about picking one of these up, or you have been trying to decide on a tactical .22, you should give this rifle some strong consideration.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mags hold 20 rounds

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    my dad has one, its a great gun! no problems, he's mounted a vortex strikefire on his, ive put plenty of rounds thru it and not a single hiccup, if I have any complaint (its the same as the colt) is that the bolt catch is just for looks

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    my dad has one, its a great gun! no problems, he's mounted a vortex strikefire on his, ive put plenty of rounds thru it and not a single hiccup, if I have any complaint (its the same as the colt) is that the bolt catch is just for looks

True, but the bolt does hold open on the last round. And yes you have to cycle the charging handle when reloading.

Last edited:

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Just dropped $1500 in building my clone and i still what the 22lr version... but they are so hard to find.... this was on my last 1500 pick up list and i left empty handed

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Just received tonite, cleaned, oiled and fired a few rounds for effect! Very solid 22. But trigger sucks. Anybody ever tear into the trigger ?

Top Bottom