• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Pretty adept politics. Form a law eroding privacy in such a way as to make anyone who would question this effort to save lives and deal with unusual circumstances appear to have gone full tin-foil for having presumed to question it.

Necessity is the plea of tyrants and the creed of slaves. Paging Mr. Pitt, paging Mr. Pitt.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I think if a call to 911 originates from a mobile device, the location services should be accessible. Otherwise, a warrant should be required.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    The moment the State announces that they want to "protect you" - things will only go downhill from there - because the only way they can protect you is to put you in a cage. They want to listen to my phone but the authorities insist all of us us taxpayers buy them trunk tracking radios so we can't hear what they're saying? :rolleyes:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Voting appears to have been unanimous. Except for a few who were absent or abstained.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Pretty adept politics. Form a law eroding privacy in such a way as to make anyone who would question this effort to save lives and deal with unusual circumstances appear to have gone full tin-foil for having presumed to question it.

Necessity is the plea of tyrants and the creed of slaves. Paging Mr. Pitt, paging Mr. Pitt.

What privacy was eroded?

A warrant isn't required to photograph a public street, as you've got no reasonable expectation of privacy on a public street. That's the UAV portion.

The ability to gain location data from cell phones if there is risk of death or serious bodily injury is long standing. I could do it with an affidavit as an emergency dispatcher, and that was over a decade ago. If anything, this implements a further check into the system as an affidavit request would have to be followed up with a subpoena or warrant within 72 hours.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Ok. Didn't know that about the GPS data. Still not excited about it.

Not that I have a thing to hide or ever do anything nefarious.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Not a lawyer but this is what I take away from the bill.

The bill is specific in the approved use of the UAV only over a public highway. Aerial view of a traffic accident scene would be a great tool in the investigation of the cause. Same with HazMat incident on a public highway or a bridge collapse.

Go flying over private property in the course of an investigation, to get an overhead peek at a house surrounded by a 6' privacy fence would require a warrant prior to flight.

Top Bottom