• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    For me, .40s are just too snappy. Should I ever need to use a gun for SD, I can put more rounds on target in a shorter period of time with a 9mm than I can a .40. And for home defense I keep a .45 on the nightstand because I actually find it to have less recoil than the .40. Well, maybe not less, but it feels like my body and arms absorb more of the recoil. The .40, on the other hand, seems to put more pressure on my wrists.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    trends are fun to watch. I remember there was a time when all the cool cats loved the 40 S&W. They laughed at the 9mm guys as wimps and they laughed at the .45acp guys as dinosaurs.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    ^^^ good point. Nothing wrong with .40, but it's not a magically superior round to 9 or 45. Given all the departments that used the round over the last decade, I would imagine the round is certainly here to stay, even if it becomes un-hip.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    trends are fun to watch. I remember there was a time when all the cool cats loved the 40 S&W. They laughed at the 9mm guys as wimps and they laughed at the .45acp guys as dinosaurs.

Dont forget the arrogant 10mm Fanbois who look down their noses at them as an inferior version of their round.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I think the market ebbs and flows. I'm not a poly fan, so my .40 is a CZ 40P, all steel and aluminum. It's an awesome fun gun to shoot. After shooting a buddy's H&K compact in .357 sig, I think I'm going to pick up a P229 Legion in .357 sig sometime soon and drop a .40 barrel in it for the range. I love shooting both 9mm and .45, but .357 sig and .40 are a lot of fun too :D

Love my Glock 23 & 27...because I can shoot multiple calibers through them....40 + .357SIG + 9mm (9mm conversion barrel + mags) + .22lr (if I wanna)!

Speed (velocity) is nice for target shooting and plinking...but inertia is better for home/personal defense so a heavier grain bullet matters. .40 comes in 180 grain and .45 in 185, 200, and 230 grain...so the only .40 I carry is a 180 grain (when I carry my Glock 27) but mostly I EDC a Glock in .45 acp.

Many are getting out of .40 because of cost (.40 is more expensive to shoot than a 9mm = true) and because the FBI recently switched from .40 to 9mm. Copycats provide extra used guns on the market at cheaper prices.

To each their own...

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    For me, .40s are just too snappy. Should I ever need to use a gun for SD, I can put more rounds on target in a shorter period of time with a 9mm than I can a .40. And for home defense I keep a .45 on the nightstand because I actually find it to have less recoil than the .40. Well, maybe not less, but it feels like my body and arms absorb more of the recoil. The .40, on the other hand, seems to put more pressure on my wrists.

Recoil is a factor to be considered. I grew up on .357 magnum revolvers so, for me, it hasn't been much of an issue (at least not yet...he he!) Comfort is an important factor in development of skills in using a firearm and in improving one's accuracy.

Because .45 acp is a sub-sonic round, I've had many individuals say they prefer the .45 over even a 9mm +P due to the felt recoil and the 'snappiness' associated with higher pressure rounds. One of my wife's female friends EDC's her Kimber Pro Carry II over her Glock 26...because the metal Kimber absorbs the difference in recoil better (for her) and she's more accurate with it...and shot placement (accuracy) is the #1 most important issue in a personal defense situation.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn

I don't mind being a 'dinosaur'...still love the .45 acp.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Good, go buy my G23 :)

Trust me, I've been considering it for a while now. I keep hoping someone else buys it first, so I don't have to.

I love my Glock 19, but I'm toying with the idea of moving to the 23 and just getting the 9mm conversion barrel to get the best of both worlds.

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers

Maybe that's a factor of the guns you've shot 40 out of. I can tell you that my XD40 is a more comfortable shooter than my old Colt Defender (as expected) or my wife's P938 (also as one might expect) and every bit as easy to shoot as my son's HK VP9 (which was a surprise).

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I can't imagine why people would be selling their Glock fotays...:dunno:

glock02_zps1dnewca8.jpg

I dont' think the slide's mounted right in that photo. Is it me, or is the trigger guard off a bit too. I don't know BA, I think you need to keep looking for your first G***k. This one might need servicing.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I seen a M9 Beretta snap in half on l/s and r/s near ejection port. The back half flew rearward and hit my CW4 in the forehead right under his K-pot. Any weapon can malfunction.
    There is a picture of a Nighthawk in 10mm out on the internet right now where the top of the barrel and slide are split wide open. It appears to be an Doubletap ammo issue.

Top Bottom