• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosiersasquatch

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    We travel to Ohio on a somewhat regular basis. It is my understanding in Indiana a no gun sign at a store does not carry much weight, if asked to leave you must comply or can be charged with trespassing. However, I am not confident that is the case in Ohio. I believe I have found in the past if the signs are made to a standard, they actually carry some legal weight with them. With gun laws changing on a regular basis, does anyone know what Ohio law is currently regarding no gun signs? thanks

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Taken from handgunlaw.us

34e51006b34ffa59d1252cabf9f25382.jpg

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    There are apps that are intuitive and helpful. I've used this one below. Can enter any CC permits and it'll tell you where you're legal. Click on the state and there's a lot of resources and items to click on. Clicking in prohibited places for Ohio brings up the statute listed above. Thinks it's only a dollar and updates with changing laws over the year subscription.

Screenshot_20221027-075227.png
    Screenshot_20221027-074915.png Screenshot_20221027-074837.png

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    Former Ohio resident here. Yes, the signs carry some weight but you really have to push it, or be involved in a ridiculous incident to get into trouble in average places.

Most of us completely ignored the signs posted at businesses. F'em. If you got outed and asked to leave you did so and that was the end of it.

Hospitals, school property, and any other Govt. buildings were definitely paid attention to and we didn't carry there.

It's another case of there's what the law says, and how it's really applied on the street being different.

My favorite incident was a Walmart employee that wanted to give me some grief and said the store was posted. I asked him where the supposed sign was, and he showed me the No Smoking sign. I may have said something about my gun had quit smoking years ago and possibly muttered a few things about his intelligence and walked off.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    The nuances from state to state can be really cumbersome. I try to fit in but in reality I'm usually skirting some state specific gun law when I travel. Sometimes knowingly but usually unknowingly. I figure concealed is concealed. Usually it's the states and towns with the strictest laws where I'd most want to be armed. I think Ohio also has a law re: notifying a leo at the first reasonable moment when pulled over. I'm thinking the last thing I'd want to do if pulled over by a copper is start screaming 'I have a gun!'. I'd much rather shut up, be polite and drive away.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    The nuances from state to state can be really cumbersome. I try to fit in but in reality I'm usually skirting some state specific gun law when I travel. Sometimes knowingly but usually unknowingly. I figure concealed is concealed. Usually it's the states and towns with the strictest laws where I'd most want to be armed. I think Ohio also has a law re: notifying a leo at the first reasonable moment when pulled over. I'm thinking the last thing I'd want to do if pulled over by a copper is start screaming 'I have a gun!'. I'd much rather shut up, be polite and drive away.
    The carry sites may not have updated this, but IIRC Ohio just got rid of notification.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

If signs worked, I would post a "Dumb***es Prohibited" sign at my shop

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    Meijer's Indianapolis stores have "no gun" signs posted, but if you don't move the garden displays out of the way, you'll never see them. I suspect OH is probably the same.

Firehawk

a.k.a. Rainmaker, Rainhawk, Firemaker or whatever
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    I’m at Great Wolf Lodge in Cincinnati with the family for fall break. The have large signs on the front doors saying “it is illegal to carry a gun on this property” or something like that. I’ll try to remember to take a pic and post it tomorrow.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    Here's the thing. People are dumb. I see signs posted all over the place hung up by employees that have zero idea what they really mean.

I see businesses post "No Idling Act 124 of 2008" signs here in Indiana. Sorry chuckleheads. That's a Pennsylvania law. Your idiot corporate sign department needs to try harder.

We fought this signage garbage in Ohio on a lot of fronts. We figured out after a few honest morons were questioned as to why their businesses were posted. They were ordering complete door signage packages from the sticker companies and the Gunbuster signs were being automatically included. The nincompoops thought they had to put them up because corporate sent them the package. The signs were in direct conflict with the company policy to allow lawful carry.

It. Was. Exhausting.
    After a couple of years of really fighting places posting I stopped caring and opted to conceal well and walk around like I owned the place. I was a lot happier. I was so tired of arguing with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Top Bottom