• ...and so much more!
  • armymen0268

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2023
    Indiana
    IMG_0587.jpeg

I posted this on Facebook with a lot of BS. I was wanting to go shoot some matches just for FUN. Absolutely NOT wanting to get new equipment. Just wanted to go out and see what it’s about and have a good time.

Now, my main belt is a standard 1.75” “battle” style belt with all my goodies on it. My holster is a Safariland level 1. It’s riding on a QLS fork in the lowest setting on a True North Concepts MHA with leg strap. I carry a P320 X-Full on a legion x5 grip module w/509T & X300T.

This is just my standard belt I built as a civilian if SHTF I could slap on and go. This is my belt gun, as my edc is the X carry.

So now that we’ve read that, WITHOUT changing anything, can I simply go to these local matches at small ranges and enter & shoot? I DO NOT CARE if I am in Open. I just want to shoot. The main one is Atlanta, IN. It’s the closest to me that I’m aware of.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    if you are talking USPSA matches, i dont believe a tie down rig is "legal" for any division, and only for active LE or military using a "duty" rig.
    you need to look at equipment rules for what division you want to compete in.

armymen0268

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2023
    Indiana
    if you are talking USPSA matches, i dont believe a tie down rig is "legal" for any division, and only for active LE or military using a "duty" rig.
    you need to look at equipment rules for what division you want to compete in.
    Again, not competing. Shooting the match for fun.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Here's the website for Atlanta Conservation Club competitions

As far as I'm aware, you have to follow the rules for equipment, etc to participate. That said different competitions have different rules. Steel challenge probably has easier entry point for equipment, but will still have rules, etc associated. Each competition on that page will list the requirements.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    Here's the website for Atlanta Conservation Club competitions

As far as I'm aware, you have to follow the rules for equipment, etc to participate. That said different competitions have different rules. Steel challenge probably has easier entry point for equipment, but will still have rules, etc associated. Each competition on that page will list the requirements.
    ^^^^ this
    if you enter a match you must comply with the rules.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yea. You must follow all rules. So you are going to need new gear if you want to shoot. IDPA there especially won’t let to shoot NFC. They might allow a kid there with a parent to do so, but not a grown adult.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    You just need a different holster, doesn't need to be anything fancy. Blade tech works well. When it comes to competition shooting there's no delineation between competing and not competing-everyone gets timed and ranked thusly on performance. It's great fun any typically costs twenty bucks or less to enter. I think you'll find grip, sight alignment and trigger press to be much more important than holster.

Indye41

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Westfield
    I’ve been thinking of doing the same thing but don’t want to change my belt up too much either, I run a battle belt as well. After doing some research like you I run a qls system. You’d just need to swap out your holster with the leg strap. No leg straps as mentioned before. The MHA should be rigid enough to get a good draw without the leg strap. I have read that in most divisions you’ll need the grip of your pistol level or above your belt line. Just get a cheap kydex holster and qls fork and you’ll be good to go.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    You just need a different holster, doesn't need to be anything fancy. Blade tech works well. When it comes to competition shooting there's no delineation between competing and not competing-everyone gets timed and ranked thusly on performance. It's great fun any typically costs twenty bucks or less to enter. I think you'll find grip, sight alignment and trigger press to be much more important than holster.
    I'm starting to look at the Blade Tech stuff as it's been recommended to me.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    View attachment 312959

I posted this on Facebook with a lot of BS. I was wanting to go shoot some matches just for FUN. Absolutely NOT wanting to get new equipment. Just wanted to go out and see what it’s about and have a good time.

Now, my main belt is a standard 1.75” “battle” style belt with all my goodies on it. My holster is a Safariland level 1. It’s riding on a QLS fork in the lowest setting on a True North Concepts MHA with leg strap. I carry a P320 X-Full on a legion x5 grip module w/509T & X300T.

This is just my standard belt I built as a civilian if SHTF I could slap on and go. This is my belt gun, as my edc is the X carry.

So now that we’ve read that, WITHOUT changing anything, can I simply go to these local matches at small ranges and enter & shoot? I DO NOT CARE if I am in Open. I just want to shoot. The main one is Atlanta, IN. It’s the closest to me that I’m aware of.
    @armymen0268

There is a 1st and 3rd Thursday outlaw match at Tim's Shooting Academy in Westfield. The match does not run to strict IDPA or USPSA rules and will likely address what you want. Give them a call and ask about the Action Pistol match.

New shooter brief at 1800 hours, first shots at 1830. Be safe, using safe equipment, be able to understand and execute the range commands and you should be fine.

armymen0268

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2023
    Indiana
    That’s my point, so why is it that the most widely known holster is not allowed? I mean it’s the only one with real retention and safety?! Lol

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    That’s my point, so why is it that the most widely known holster is not allowed? I mean it’s the only one with real retention and safety?! Lol
    This i don't know. I would assume its either to level the playing field or eliminate gamesmanship/unfair advantage. At any rate, it is what it is. You'll enjoy competition if you try it.

2-Alpha

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2018
    Indianapolis area
    USPSA and especially IDPA are aimed
    to test the shooter using CCW/EDC guns & gear. USPSA has evolved quite far from what I’d consider CCW, but they keep the holster rule about gun butt at or above the belt, and a maximum distance away from it. (To avoid “quick draw” rigs.) And IIRC there’s a rule about cant to keep the gun basically vertical. You’ll have to look up the actual rules and see if yours complies.

Tim’s and FNS have already been mentioned. FNS doesn’t start in the holster so they won’t care about that. The “carry gun” matches at Riley or Parabellum would probably let you run for fun, or in open if you can cover it.

longbeard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    USPSA Rules: Butt of gun above the belt. No thigh holsters. A belt holster with a thigh strap is fine, just not a thigh only holster. This is due to safety concerns. That particular photo isn't highest quality, but it appears to me you would shoot Limited in USPSA or Steel Challenge.

I am the Atlanta USPSA MD. Barring unsafe gear, we will let you shoot uspsa. Biggest thing we see are unsecure holsters where the trigger is not covered. I do not think IDPA would let you shoot with that setup. Perhaps with your EDC rig.

IDPA shoots all winter as does steel challenge. USPSA resumes in Spring.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    For unsanctioned matches at smaller clubs, you're going to have to contact them directly unless the MD happens to be here and see your thread.

I'd allow a low ride holster at HHRP. we're all there to just have fun.

The safariland index-finger released holsters are discouraged/banned because several people have positioned their finger less than ideally and NDed while drawing. Hooking the finger to use the tip so when the gun comes out the finger drops into the trigger guard rather than keeping it straight to use the pad and the finger laying straight on/above the guard.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Sorry bro, your battle belt and drop retention holster is too tactical for regular pistol matches.

You have no choice but to acquire rifle and plate carrier and join us at TSA 2-gun.

Tbell7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Aug 21, 2021
    Indianapolis
    A buddy of mine wore that same exact rig to a USPSA match at Parabellum and got asked to swap it out. Wasn't a huge deal. One of the guys there actually had a backup holster for him and he still got to shoot.

Top Bottom