• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Recently received my new can, and it came with a rubber disk I’m understanding to be the “wipe”. However there is no hole in it, just a cross-shaped cut. What’s the idea? It gets installed as-is and the round punches it’s own hole? Does a proper size hole need to be punched in it?

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    The wipe is designed to be shot through. They generally last 20-30 rounds but improve the “quietness” of the suppressor.
    20 - 30 rounds ... is that a typo? If not, what is the cost for replacement wipes? This seems like a really low round count if the cost is more than a few pennies per part ... heck, even a few pennies per part will add up quickly in just a couple of range visits.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    335   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    20 - 30 rounds ... is that a typo? If not, what is the cost for replacement wipes? This seems like a really low round count if the cost is more than a few pennies per part ... heck, even a few pennies per part will add up quickly in just a couple of range visits.
    Not a typo. You are allowed to make your own wipes though, so that cuts down on cost. You can make a one-for-one replacement when you remove them but not more than that.

Also, it really does make the can quieter for those that need the absolute silence.

Elcidaviator

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2021
    Scottsburg
    Asz - I'm looking to get into the wonderful world of silence, would it be necessary to always use a "wipe," or is it really a piece to use to make it quieter?
    I believe Energetic Arms has comparisons tests with their cans with and without wipes. IIRC it was with their EA VOX. I’ll dig around their website and see if I can find it.

Elcidaviator

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2021
    Scottsburg
    Here’s a quote of of EAs website. The second paragraph is pretty interesting regarding “stockpiling silencer parts”.

WIPES:

The wipe material is 1/8″ reinforced silicone sheet (McMaster-Carr PN 3635K17) that is punched with punch (McMaster-Carr PN 3427A26) out 1-1/8″ dia disks. The use of an end grain wood block or soft plastic anvil is recommended. The nose hex is 1-1/4″ (wrench supplied) and the wipe retainer uses a 9/16″ socket. All threads should have an anti seize applied when reassembling (McMaster-Carr PN 1288K12)

Wipes may be replaced by a dealer or users can repair their silencers; they just can’t manufacture and stockpile silencer parts. Making and replacing wipes 1:1 is acceptable. You cannot make them for other people or have more than one at a time. The old wipe should be destroyed before a new one is made.

Per BATF regulations Energetic Armament does not sell replacement wipes. This guide DOES NOT constitute legal advice and firearms laws change regularly. Please consult your dealer or an attorney for guidance with all laws and regulations.

Elcidaviator

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2021
    Scottsburg
    This is the article I remember comparing wipes EA VOX to non-wiped

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Not a typo. You are allowed to make your own wipes though, so that cuts down on cost. You can make a one-for-one replacement when you remove them but not more than that.

Also, it really does make the can quieter for those that need the absolute silence.
    Here’s a quote of of EAs website. The second paragraph is pretty interesting regarding “stockpiling silencer parts”.

WIPES:

The wipe material is 1/8″ reinforced silicone sheet (McMaster-Carr PN 3635K17) that is punched with punch (McMaster-Carr PN 3427A26) out 1-1/8″ dia disks. The use of an end grain wood block or soft plastic anvil is recommended. The nose hex is 1-1/4″ (wrench supplied) and the wipe retainer uses a 9/16″ socket. All threads should have an anti seize applied when reassembling (McMaster-Carr PN 1288K12)

Wipes may be replaced by a dealer or users can repair their silencers; they just can’t manufacture and stockpile silencer parts. Making and replacing wipes 1:1 is acceptable. You cannot make them for other people or have more than one at a time. The old wipe should be destroyed before a new one is made.

Per BATF regulations Energetic Armament does not sell replacement wipes. This guide DOES NOT constitute legal advice and firearms laws change regularly. Please consult your dealer or an attorney for guidance with all laws and regulations.

This is just Bizarro world stuff ... a silencer needs a wipe to operate to its best potential, but the owner can't have spare wipes available to replace this wear item. Rather, they need to stop what they're doing, manufacture a new wipe while simultaneously destroying the used wipe.

Who thinks up this lunacy?

Wait a minute ... BATF ... Never mind ... I answered my own question.

Sounds like when I'm ready to jump into the suppressor game, I need to steer clear of cans with wipes.

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    This is just Bizarro world stuff ... a silencer needs a wipe to operate to its best potential, but the owner can't have spare wipes available to replace this wear item. Rather, they need to stop what they're doing, manufacture a new wipe while simultaneously destroying the used wipe.

Sounds like when I'm ready to jump into the suppressor game, I need to steer clear of cans with wipes.
    You dont have to use wipes. I have a few cans that support wipes but have never bothered to use them.

Elcidaviator

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2021
    Scottsburg

It’s such a weird govt landscape we live in. Funny thing is, it’s mostly due to Hollywoods dramatization of how the effective a suppressor really is. You go to Europe and a lot of countries mandate that you have a suppressor to shoot, and they are dirt cheap.

Last edited:

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    While firing my AR platform suppressed, I'm experiencing my slide failing to lock up open after the last round. A buddy suggested perhaps a heavier buffer spring. Any other suggestions, or might this be my best route (short of an adjustable gas block)?

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    While firing my AR platform suppressed, I'm experiencing my slide failing to lock up open after the last round. A buddy suggested perhaps a heavier buffer spring. Any other suggestions, or might this be my best route (short of an adjustable gas block)?
    I'm assuming you mean your BCG and not your slide. A heavier buffer will not fix that. Sounds like a gas problem. But usually suppressors will cause more back pressure. Shouldn't have an issue locking back unless it so overgassed the bolt catch isn't snagging it

Elcidaviator

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2021
    Scottsburg
    I’d recommend an adjustable gas block on any AR you plan on shooting suppressed.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    335   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Asz - I'm looking to get into the wonderful world of silence, would it be necessary to always use a "wipe," or is it really an piece to use to make it quieter?
    Most suppressors don't have wipes, they're an addition to some cans that are used for real clandestine work. They really are more quiet though.

For range shooting or target practice, they're certainly not needed.

Top Bottom