• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Im wanting good ammo, no cheap crap (both ball and BTHP). Im looking to shoot 168gr or around that. What brands should I look for? Which ones do I stay away from? Whats a fair price to pay per round?
    Anything else you think I should know that I have not asked? Thanks for the help!

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hiya .40cal Punisher!

I guess we should start with: the .308 Winchester & 7.62 Nato are not exactly the same cartridge.

Granted they both are dimensionally similar however the .308 is Winchester is "hotter" and some rifles chambered in 7.62 Nato cannot/should not fire .308 Winchester cartridges.

Now with that said, Remington (premier) Nosler, Black Hills, Federal (gold medal), Hornady, Lapua, Norma & Winchester (supreme) all make really great .308 ammunition.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Hiya .40cal Punisher!

I guess we should start with: the .308 Winchester & 7.62 Nato are not exactly the same cartridge.

Granted they both are dimensionally similar however the .308 is Winchester is "hotter" and some rifles chambered in 7.62 Nato cannot/should not fire .308 Winchester cartridges.

Now with that said, Remington (premier) Nosler, Black Hills, Federal (gold medal), Hornady, Lapua, Norma & Winchester (supreme) all make really great .308 ammunition.

I've heard it both ways about not shooting 7.62. Some guys said that they have do it with no problems and others say they would never do it. More than likely I will stick with the 308 but just in case I do shoot some 7.62 I'd like to know which ammo is good. Thanks for the list of brands Richard!

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    For you precision bolt FGMM 168 grains. Or if wanting to push distance 175. Its match ammo but you can find it for around 30 dollars a box of 20. expensive, but plain jane ball ammo won't suit well if you are shooting for groups. i highly suggest handloading as you will get better accuracy for half the cost.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    FGGM is usually touted as the tops. I lucked into a hundred rounds for $100 awhile back. Figured tiwas good ammo and would give me good brass to reload as well. I've been happy with it, but happier with my handloads. Plus, I'm shooting handloads with the same 168gr Sierra Match King that the FGGM loads use for about 45 cents a shot.

Doug K

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    There's a vendor that is usually at the 1500 that sells MatchKing 168's on Lake City brass. He's calls his business Brass King. I think he's just across the state line in Michigan. They group pretty well out of my rifle.

Top Bottom