• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Mixed feelings on this. On the one hand, nothing is stupider than steam-rolling functional guns. On the other, I have a concern about the conflict of interest created when police directly profit off of their police work. Are the guns being "forfeited" without due process? Will there be added incentive to confiscate guns when the police have financial incentives to do so?

Under a New Law, the Police Can Act as Gun Dealers | NYTimes

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Mixed feelings on this. On the one hand, nothing is stupider than steam-rolling functional guns. On the other, I have a concern about the conflict of interest created when police directly profit off of their police work. Are the guns being "forfeited" without due process? Will there be added incentive to confiscate guns when the police have financial incentives to do so?

Don't they already sell other confiscated stuff? Why is selling confiscated guns any different from selling confiscated Ferraris?

El-Cigarro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Don't they already sell other confiscated stuff? Why is selling confiscated guns any different from selling confiscated Ferraris?
    They have a sale every year at the Jasper Co. Highway Garage, where they sell confiscated/used County stuff, including firearms. Never went, but I assume they're probably well worn out.......

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    They have a sale every year at the Jasper Co. Highway Garage, where they sell confiscated/used County stuff, including firearms. Never went, but I assume they're probably well worn out.......

You know what they say about assuming. . . . . .went to the Morgan county sheriffs auction a few months back. They had the usual array of junk there but they also had some very nice and rare stuff. I had to drop out of the bidding on a WWII Ithaca 1911 at $1400, I wanted it bad and was in my price range I just didn't want to spend the money that day.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Finally had time to actually read the article. The headline seems very misleading. The new law allows them to sell confiscated guns *to* gun dealers.

You know what they say about assuming. . . . . .went to the Morgan county sheriffs auction a few months back. They had the usual array of junk there but they also had some very nice and rare stuff. I had to drop out of the bidding on a WWII Ithaca 1911 at $1400, I wanted it bad and was in my price range I just didn't want to spend the money that day.

How does this work? Does the sheriff's office run the autions/sales, and then work with FFL's to do the actual transfer?

ETA: The reason for my question is that selling guns to the public for profit would make them a dealer, which seems would be breaking federal law without a FFL.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Finally had time to actually read the article. The headline seems very misleading. The new law allows them to sell confiscated guns *to* gun dealers.

How does this work? Does the sheriff's office run the autions/sales, and then work with FFL's to do the actual transfer?

ETA: The reason for my question is that selling guns to the public for profit would make them a dealer, which seems would be breaking federal law without a FFL.

Just like auction houses that don't have their FFL, they sell it at auction, pay an FFL to process the paperwork, you pick it up at the FFL's storefront.

Top Bottom