New Sig M400 enhanced - How ya tell the wife?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Here's a crazy idea....but I've only been happily married for half my life (21 of 42 years):

"Hey Hon, you know that Sig Sauer M400 Enhanced I've been wanting? I've finally found one at a price that was decent!"

Anything else evidences the need to work on marriage first, break-in later.

dcr465

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 4, 2012
    The way I used to break the news to my Ex-wife was to say ... "Hey! I make the money around here! I'll spend it how ever the (!)@(#* I want". Child support costs to Ex has prevented me from needing to use this on the current wife ...

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I would say you paid $100 too much. Did you get a bag with it? Here is one w/free bag and free shipping for $999. I also don't know if sales tax was factored in for the $1099. Sometimes impulse buys aren't the best thing. There is something to be said though having it in your hands right away then sitting around and waiting for it. Just playing devil's advocate ;)
    Sig Sauer M400 AR 5.56 OD Green Free Bag + Ship : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    The only answer is to grovel, put on your sweetest act, and tell her to buy some stuff for herself. If she doesn't like guns, then Coach purses and stuff maybe? ;)
    This is one reason I don't go to gun shops w/o hubby often. I don't have much willpower when I see one I really want.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    thankfully this has not been an issue for me. I'm the sole income for our family but we've worked out a system. Wife gets the paycheck and $150/mo goes in my solo account and the same for her. That's no questions asked free will money. If she or I does a cash job, its not "our" money, its hers or mine.

If I want a $1200 gun, I do some side work, maybe sell something I've no longer a use for, and go for it. No breaking the news, no hiding it, guiltless satisfaction of scratching the itch.

It may not be for everyone but its worked for us.

I used to have a problem before this arrangement. Namely, I didn't have "me money" just "our money" and same for her. So now that we both have our own fun funds, everyone's happy and there's no damage to our primary budget. If by chance I don't work enough, the fun funds are cut. If I work a ton of overtime, they get a boost.

So, sorry I don't have a solution to your current issue, but I'd recommend my method if you think it could work for you.

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    My wife doesn't ask how much my guns cost. If she wants something I don't question her. If I want something that's not in the budget for that week or month because it goes over then I sell something I don't need or use and get it or I wait and pay cash. We don't use credit cards.
    if she is with me I don't make large purchases because I don't realy think she comprehends how much quality firearms cost or are worth. Kinda like I don't comprehend how some metal and a shiny rock can be worth so much money. I don't plan on educating her in firearms value anytime soon. When I die she will think she won the lottery or cashed out a Roth IRA with no tax penalty, LOL
    in a marriage though I don't think it wise to outright lie to your spouse. Never will end well

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    If she notices it and starts to give you any grief, gently place your finger across her lips to silence her and softly whisper the word "sammich".

After enjoying your delicious sammich, head to the range to try out the new rifle. :rockwoot:

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    thankfully this has not been an issue for me. I'm the sole income for our family but we've worked out a system. Wife gets the paycheck and $150/mo goes in my solo account and the same for her. That's no questions asked free will money. If she or I does a cash job, its not "our" money, its hers or mine.

If I want a $1200 gun, I do some side work, maybe sell something I've no longer a use for, and go for it. No breaking the news, no hiding it, guiltless satisfaction of scratching the itch.

It may not be for everyone but its worked for us.

I used to have a problem before this arrangement. Namely, I didn't have "me money" just "our money" and same for her. So now that we both have our own fun funds, everyone's happy and there's no damage to our primary budget. If by chance I don't work enough, the fun funds are cut. If I work a ton of overtime, they get a boost.

So, sorry I don't have a solution to your current issue, but I'd recommend my method if you think it could work for you.

This idea has inspired me. I'm to be married next September. Having a joint account to cover expenses, plus to save some. Then we each take a little off the top for our own personal use seems like a good idea. Then any overtime or personal gains go into a personal account. I would like to mix in a vacation account too.

To the OP tell the truth. You bought it for this price and you believe it will be worth more down the road, you are diversifying investments for the future of your family.

Since I'm not married and soon will be, I saved for a down payment on our new family house, my part of the wedding, and an emergency fund.

That said I buy alot of guns and ammo because it will all change once I am hitched.

Now that I have typed it out I wonder WTF I am thinking.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    The wife would notice a new gun. I don't have a safe full but she knows her guns and we usually alternate buying a new firearm. She keeps track so she can go out and buy a new gun for her. We do discuss most all major purchases out of respect. Seems to work out well for me.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I always tell my wife that making a good sound firearms purchase is almost like money in the bank. Done wisely you can almost always recoup your investment and often times actually make money. Years ago I paid 250.00 for a Grendal 22 mag pistol with four 30 round mags. A few years ago a guy gave me 600.00 for the gun and 75.00 per mag! Didn't really want to sell it because it was a neat gun but how do you pass that up?

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I got a good idea. Re-reading the title of this thread made me think of the perfect answer.

Thank her. A good woman is hard to find.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    Just so ya know.. She is now gonna expect you to spend just as much on her. I gave my wife an IOU after my last purchase, but I'd better pay it by Christmas for sure! Or I may be living on ELM ST.:):

Shootsforfun

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Assuming you are gainfully employed and you are providing for your family and not neglecting other finiancial obligations. Then you say" Look at what I bought honey. Would you like to go to the range with me and see how it shoots" If you can't do this then there is possibly a problem with something or someone in your relationship...........of course this is just my 2 cents.......

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    It is much, much harder to explain away the hookers passed out on the couch when she comes home from her 2nd job than it is to explain spending $1000+ without mentioning it to her first...unless that $1000+ was on the hookers, then it is just an all around bad time.

Top Bottom