• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gh2

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Slow1911s did a great job of compiling suggestions (on the original thread)on attracting new shooters. I do however find it interesting that there is a common, reoccurring theme regarding the expense of participating. So, I thought it would be beneficial , with all your input, to examine the cost of shooting matches vs. other past times in which we participate! Keep in mind most who made the "expensive" statement compete almost every Sunday! This isn't a requirement,,,,,,,,,, but a choice! They love it!
    I believe it's safe to assume anyone considering competing for the first time already has the most expensive piece of equipment, the gun! Chances are high this gun fits Production or Single Stack Class requirements. We know this pistol has at least one, maybe two magazines. The next ingredient is ammo. Again, chances are high if you have a gun, you have some ammo. Maybe not enough to shoot a USPSA match, but some. I would also suggest that most first time competitors wear a belt, have shooting glasses, and some form of ear protection. So, what is the "Start Up Cost" to participate in your first USPSA (IDPA) match?
    Holster, most likely a mass produced composite holster. Two or three magazines. Four or five magazine carriers. One to two hundred rounds of ammo. Entry fee. Except for ammo and entry fee, these are "one time expenses"!
    Now, how does this "start up cost" compare to attending one football or basketball game? Having a steak dinner downtown on Saturday night? Buying that Harley you always wanted or the Genuine Harley leather jacket? The first golf game? Gearing up to go fishing or hunting? Go skiing for the first time? I'm not suggesting these activities should be abandoned. I'm just suggesting the average guy, or gal, can test the waters without taking out a home equity loan.
    Expensive is a relative term. What's expensive to me is pocket change for many. That's a given. I don't shoot Production, or Single Stack, so I'm hoping those that do will chime in with accurate equipment costs. Also, correct me if my statements are grossly wrong (don't critique my grammar or spelling :n00b:!). My idea is to present reliable information for those that would like to shoot a match but are scared off by the continuing "Costs a fortune" comments.
    I'll now hang up and listen to your response:rockwoot:
    GH2

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Yup. I explained to my wife of 10 years that $1000 isn't overly excessive to spend on a hobby start up.

After all, I told her, I put away my mountain bike, I quit recreational softball, I quit racing, all pretty much at the same time... about 10 years ago.

"I didn't make you do that" she says... "No you didn't" I said, "that's why I know you're not going to care about this either..." ;)

Anyway, to start:

Pistol - $400-$600 (usually come with two mags)
    3 Mags - $75
    Range bag - $30 (Midway USA)
    Ears - $30
    Eyes - $10
    Fobus holster - $30
    Fobus mag holder - $30
    Total - $600-$800
    and you don't have to spend even this much. There's an XDM .40 with three mags and the holster and the mag holder for $500 or so in the classifieds.

Continuing costs (for me):
    Entry $15-$20
    Ammo - $50 for 200 rounds of 9mm

Anyone know what a good mountain bike costs?
    How about an entry level kart? You can't even show up for less than $3000...

gh2

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Yup. I explained to my wife of 10 years that $1000 isn't overly excessive to spend on a hobby start up.

After all, I told her, I put away my mountain bike, I quit recreational softball, I quit racing, all pretty much at the same time... about 10 years ago.

"I didn't make you do that" she says... "No you didn't" I said, "that's why I know you're not going to care about this either..." ;)

Anyway, to start:

Pistol - $400-$600 (usually come with two mags)
    3 Mags - $75
    Range bag - $30 (Midway USA)
    Ears - $30
    Eyes - $10
    Fobus holster - $30
    Fobus mag holder - $30
    Total - $600-$800
    and you don't have to spend even this much. There's an XDM .40 with three mags and the holster and the mag holder for $500 or so in the classifieds.

Continuing costs (for me):
    Entry $15-$20
    Ammo - $50 for 200 rounds of 9mm

Anyone know what a good mountain bike costs?
    How about an entry level kart? You can't even show up for less than $3000...

So your saying you're considering shooting your very first match and you don't have anything to shoot????? You don't' shoot or own a handgun? You stumbled across this site, or a You Tube video, and decided "I have to do this"?

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Not exactly. I've always wanted to shoot. Already have done FNS, will do IDPA in January.

I didn't buy the best pistols for this, because I didn't really know, but I'll shoot what I bring until I decide what my 3rd gun is going to be.

My next is going to be a full size .40 like an XD or an M&P. But I have time...

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    My First gun Was a Bersa Thunder .40 $300 (very reliable gun for the price). Two double Mag Pouches $40ish. $60 for additional mags.

460 in my first competition gun - ammo and match fees.

Golf Clubs, knock offs....$450 ( I haven't played in two years. That directly corresponds to my start in shooting sports).

If you decide that this is going to be addictive...you should reload. Riverman and I have probably paid for both of Dillon 550B's at least 2 times over initial startup.

Last edited:

oldbikelvr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    I started with the steel matches at Riley last summer. Here is what it cost me to start with:
    Rossi .357 revolver-Owned
    Speed Loaders x5- Had 2, bought 3 more at about $9 ea.
    Holster-Owned a pancake, not ideal but was fine to start with
    Ammo 200 rds. .38 special-$64.00
    Entry-$15

I used an old tool box I had lying around to haul my stuff around and a nail apron to hold my speed loaders and my empties. Do, for less than a hundred bucks, I got into a hooy that I really enjoy. Of course, now I reload, have a couple of other pistols that I use in USPSA, etc., but I got started cheap, and could have kept going that way for as long as I wanted, except for maybe a better holster.

Everyone was welcoming and extremely helpful.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Honestly, shooting in general can be a pretty cheap hobby. Go price a skiboat, even a ten year old one. How about a Corvette, or a Harley? Makes teh cost of even shooting a full auto or two pretty cheap in comparison!

I have freinds with $15-20K Harleys they ride four or five times a year make fun of me for buying a $6K Machinegun that Ill shoot a dozen times a year or more! How many people do you know with motorcycles? How many do you know with machineguns? Which would you rather have?

Plus, I rarely lose money when selling a gun. How many hobbies can you buy into, try for a year or two and if it's not for you, get most of your investment back? Golf? Tennis? Bicycling? Doubt it...

gh2

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Not exactly. I've always wanted to shoot. Already have done FNS, will do IDPA in January.

I didn't buy the best pistols for this, because I didn't really know, but I'll shoot what I bring until I decide what my 3rd gun is going to be.

My next is going to be a full size .40 like an XD or an M&P. But I have time...

I'm glad you plan to expand beyond FNS. That's a great program and and should be continued:rockwoot:
    My question is, "did you purchase your first handgun to shoot matches or after shooting that first pistol did you decide to compete? The point I'm trying to make is you probably had the gun so gearing up to compete can't include the cost of the original gun, mags, and ammo. Am I wrong?

gh2

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    I started with the steel matches at Riley last summer. Here is what it cost me to start with:
    Rossi .357 revolver-Owned
    Speed Loaders x5- Had 2, bought 3 more at about $9 ea.
    Holster-Owned a pancake, not ideal but was fine to start with
    Ammo 200 rds. .38 special-$64.00
    Entry-$15

I used an old tool box I had lying around to haul my stuff around and a nail apron to hold my speed loaders and my empties. Do, for less than a hundred bucks, I got into a hooy that I really enjoy. Of course, now I reload, have a couple of other pistols that I use in USPSA, etc., but I got started cheap, and could have kept going that way for as long as I wanted, except for maybe a better holster.

Everyone was welcoming and extremely helpful.

I'd like to stess the fact no one laughed at you for the old tool box. We are a welcoming group and only want to encourage new shooters.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    As a former tournament bass fisherman... shooting is MUCH better on the wallet :D

Just ordered a batch of 3000 BBI's to start cranking out rounds for next season.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I'm glad you plan to expand beyond FNS. That's a great program and and should be continued:rockwoot:
    My question is, "did you purchase your first handgun to shoot matches or after shooting that first pistol did you decide to compete? The point I'm trying to make is you probably had the gun so gearing up to compete can't include the cost of the original gun, mags, and ammo. Am I wrong?

I bought the first to have for carry/home defense/range shooting. Then I came here, saw the "Shooting Sports" subsection, started reading and realized I could compete with what I had (thanks to some very helpful individuals).

I don't have the best pistol. It's a 3.5" barrel 9mm. It will do for now. Then I decided I needed to practice, so I bought an inexpensive .22lr. I've got enough mags to shoot either at FNS and the 9mm will work for IDPA. So although it will work, I don't think I got the best gun for IDPA. But then, I wasn't buying it for that. But I get your point.

f'nstar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    My first match i didn't even use my own pistol. A friend of mine called me and said lets go to this pistol match and i said i don't have any gear. Long story short i used some of his gear, granted it wasn't as nice as the stuff he used, but it was enough to give me the bug... This sport can be expensive as i know from buying a good belt some good mag carriers and such, but these are mostly one time buys. Sure my wife *****ed and complained but i looked at her and said i could just go to the bar and drink that money away instead..

gh2

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    I bought the first to have for carry/home defense/range shooting. Then I came here, saw the "Shooting Sports" subsection, started reading and realized I could compete with what I had (thanks to some very helpful individuals).

I don't have the best pistol. It's a 3.5" barrel 9mm. It will do for now. Then I decided I needed to practice, so I bought an inexpensive .22lr.

I've got enough mags to shoot either at FNS and the 9mm will work for IDPA.

Once I tell my wife I bought the 2nd, I work on getting the 3rd.. ;)

Oh yeah, I bought a Hi-Point C9 to give to a friend to get him out to the range... but I don't count that as a handgun.

Your story is a common one. You have the equipment to get started in competition. Add a piece of equipment here and there and before you know it you're ready to compete:rockwoot:If you, or anyone considering joining the fun, realizes they can step in slowly, they won't be intimidated by what has been stated as "so expensive"! You can have a great time and not break the bank in the process.

Now, can I interest you in a top of the line custom built Limited Gun with a 1-3/4 lb trigger and 100 dollar magazines? Just kiddin.............:D

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Nice job George on clarifiying the start up cost is not as dramatic as it if often made out to be. You can and should start cheap, learn the rules and the game and develop skill level before upgrading on equipment.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I took ACT's basic handgun before I owned a handgun. Between that and a buddy (downrange72) talking it up, I got hooked on the idea of handgun shooting sports before being a handgun owner. I bought my first handgun with sports in mind but I never considered the handgun price to be the cost of getting into the sport because it has more important functions to me and my family than enabling me to "play". I can't say that about my golf clubs (wherever they are). I play online games with people but don't consider my computer, which I need for work, to be a cost associated with doing that.
    Even if somebody goes from non-gun owner straight into shooting sports they will understand very soon after being in the gun culture that the sporting purpose of that handgun is quite secondary to the other real benefits to them and their family.

gh2

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    I took ACT's basic handgun before I owned a handgun. Between that and a buddy (downrange72) talking it up, I got hooked on the idea of handgun shooting sports before being a handgun owner. I bought my first handgun with sports in mind but I never considered the handgun price to be the cost of getting into the sport because it has more important functions to me and my family than enabling me to "play". I can't say that about my golf clubs (wherever they are). I play online games with people but don't consider my computer, which I need for work, to be a cost associated with doing that.
    Even if somebody goes from non-gun owner straight into shooting sports they will understand very soon after being in the gun culture that the sporting purpose of that handgun is quite secondary to the other real benefits to them and their family.

:yesway: to all you say! Glad you are enjoying the experience. Not that I'm an expert or have done research on the matter, but I believe you are the first person I'm aware of that put the buggy in front of the horse.
    Looking back, do you think you're the exception rather than the rule?

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    Hell guys speaking of equipment and gear. There is one of our shooters that uses a 5 gallon bucket/with a lid to for a range bag. He normally only uses it when theres a chance of rain. But heck thats a great Idea water tight. How many of us dont have a bucket around? If Im not mistaken they still make layered dividers that fit inside the bucket. A little off topic but it just poped in my head. And if I wait till later I will forget.

Last edited:

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Your story is a common one. You have the equipment to get started in competition. Add a piece of equipment here and there and before you know it you're ready to compete:rockwoot:If you, or anyone considering joining the fun, realizes they can step in slowly, they won't be intimidated by what has been stated as "so expensive"! You can have a great time and not break the bank in the process.

Now, can I interest you in a top of the line custom built Limited Gun with a 1-3/4 lb trigger and 100 dollar magazines? Just kiddin.............:D

When did you start building "heavy" triggers...:D

Top Bottom