• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    I took ACT's basic handgun before I owned a handgun. Between that and a buddy (downrange72) talking it up, I got hooked on the idea of handgun shooting sports before being a handgun owner. I bought my first handgun with sports in mind but I never considered the handgun price to be the cost of getting into the sport because it has more important functions to me and my family than enabling me to "play". I can't say that about my golf clubs (wherever they are). I play online games with people but don't consider my computer, which I need for work, to be a cost associated with doing that.
    Even if somebody goes from non-gun owner straight into shooting sports they will understand very soon after being in the gun culture that the sporting purpose of that handgun is quite secondary to the other real benefits to them and their family.

You need to be out more too! Rides offers are still good from riverman and myself.

I wish I could find your quote when you came to watch the state match. it was something to the effect of "it was like a carvival game on steroids without the stuffed animals." I'll llook for it when I get home.

oldbikelvr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    I'd like to stess the fact no one laughed at you for the old tool box. We are a welcoming group and only want to encourage new shooters.

No one laughed at me, but I had some laughs with folks. I had a great time that day. My dad came with me to watch, and now we go to a lot of events together. My son also came along and he is enjoying shooting as well. Heck, I might even get my wife to a a steel match or two this year. She enjoyed her ACT training.

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    No one laughed at me, but I had some laughs with folks. I had a great time that day. My dad came with me to watch, and now we go to a lot of events together. My son also came along and he is enjoying shooting as well. Heck, I might even get my wife to a a steel match or two this year. She enjoyed her ACT training.[/quote]
    :yesway::yesway::rockwoot::rockwoot:

Skroggster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Kokomo, Indiana
    Hell guys speaking of equipment and gear. There is one of our shooters that uses a 5 gallon bucket/with a lid to for a range bag. He normally only uses it when theres a chance of rain. But heck thats a great Idea water tight. How many of us dont have a bucket around? If Im not mistaken they still make layered dividers that fit inside the bucket. A little off topic but it just poped in my head. And if I wait till later I will forget.

5 Gallon buckets are a great carrier. That is exactly what I use in the field when bird hunting. It has plenty of capacity for 12 ga shells, birds, tools, and a must, Toilet Paper! Because a Bear Does Too! :D

But it is custom painted Camo Color! :rockwoot:

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    I bought the first to have for carry/home defense/range shooting. Then I came here, saw the "Shooting Sports" subsection, started reading and realized I could compete with what I had (thanks to some very helpful individuals).

I don't have the best pistol. It's a 3.5" barrel 9mm. It will do for now. Then I decided I needed to practice, so I bought an inexpensive .22lr. I've got enough mags to shoot either at FNS and the 9mm will work for IDPA. So although it will work, I don't think I got the best gun for IDPA. But then, I wasn't buying it for that. But I get your point.

I have a friend that says "shoot what you carry." I fought the statement, but he is right. I now carry my "game" gun. I shot a few of my brothers guns in competitions when he was gone. It wasn't pretty. Single stacks are accurate as can be. I could not get the feel of the ambi safety and the thin mags. It was like a monkey fornicating a football. I also went back to trying to shoot an XDM, same results. It was then that I realized that you should "shoot what you carry." My M&P is now my gamer and my EDC.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Here is the quote from Smile Doc Hill from the State match.

I've been to ACT's instructional league once, and since that is the only real exposure to the sport I stopped by to see how different a real competition is. WOW, that looks like an amazing time! It was just like the instructional league but since this was the regional championship the stages were very elaborate. It looked like a carnival game in some of those bays. I didn't however see any over-sized stuffed animals so I assume you are playing for trophies or something else.
    I came home with the following thoughts:
    1. ACT instructional league is the real deal, I felt like I could step in and do this without slowing things down or making it unsafe. (I am not saying I would do well, thats on me.)
    2. My schedule, and "hobbies" just got re-prioritized.
    3. I don't do well with heat.

JDubb

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Frankfort IN
    Well, guys when I was approached in spring of this year I was asked if would come watch a match. Then I was offered all the equipment to use for that match, no questions asked. When I do come across that person i will be sure to do the same!

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    It's called "Pay it Forward" ;)
    Yeah, I think it is more accurate to say you stole that technique from the drug dealers. "The first one is on me" to get you hooked then you keep coming back for more.:D

In regards to equipment, I show up in a non-merican made minivan using a diaper bag I bought at goodwill as a range bag for an instructional league, an ACT class and a couple of FNS's. I looked like an undercover jerk trying to make a documentary about how to incite a hate crime but received nothing but help and a warm welcome. That bag is still one of my favorite range bags.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Yeah, I think it is more accurate to say you stole that technique from the drug dealers. "The first one is on me" to get you hooked then you keep coming back for more.:D

In regards to equipment, I show up in a non-merican made minivan using a diaper bag I bought at goodwill as a range bag for an instructional league, an ACT class and a couple of FNS's. I looked like an undercover jerk trying to make a documentary about how to incite a hate crime but received nothing but help and a warm welcome. That bag is still one of my favorite range bags.

Thats some funny stuff right there:)
    I still use a couple of LOTO tool bags from work that were going to be pitched. They make great match range bags when all you really need to carry is your ammo and few extras. I am pretty sure you can get something similar for about 10 bucks at Lowes

Top Bottom