• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I'm starting to think that I'm not supposed to own a snubnose. Had all kinds of problems with a Charter Arms .38 which I'm still in the process of working out with Charter.

Decided to get what I wanted, and bought a new Ruger SP101, .357 with 2 1/4" bbl. Can't go wrong with that, right?

About 75% of rounds, .357 or .38 sp. failed to fire, due to light striking. :xmad: After examination, found out that the firing pin protrudes less than half the distance between the frame and cylinder when fired. When I manually push the transfer bar, the firing pin travels more than half way.

Of course, I got it from a great place, Bob at Plainfield Shooting Supplies, so I'm not worried. Just sad.:crying: At least it's heavy enough to use as a club, and I might even get off a shot or two.

Dawall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lake County
    Sounds like someone tried to lighten up the action and went to far or did a cheap shotcut. Send her to the factory or a real pistolsmith.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Don't give up. SP101's are great guns. Used to carry one as my backup when I was a LEO. Take Indygunworks up on his offer, get her running right and try again.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Yes, again new or used? Someone might have put a spring kit in it
    to try to improve the trigger and went overboard.

rev500ss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Royal Center
    I'm starting to think that I'm not supposed to own a snubnose. Had all kinds of problems with a Charter Arms .38 which I'm still in the process of working out with Charter.

Decided to get what I wanted, and bought a new Ruger SP101, .357 with 2 1/4" bbl. Can't go wrong with that, right?

About 75% of rounds, .357 or .38 sp. failed to fire, due to light striking. :xmad: After examination, found out that the firing pin protrudes less than half the distance between the frame and cylinder when fired. When I manually push the transfer bar, the firing pin travels more than half way.

Of course, I got it from a great place, Bob at Plainfield Shooting Supplies, so I'm not worried. Just sad.:crying: At least it's heavy enough to use as a club, and I might even get off a shot or two.

says he bought a new Ruger SP101. at least with it being new you have the warranty and can send it off for repairs. unfortunately your without your new toy for a few more days. Hope it works out for you in the long run.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Yeah, just bought it new, today, from Plainfield Shooters Supply. The sympton is exactly what happens when someone installs lighter springs. I eyeballed the spring and it looked like it was installed ok.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    wow, sorry to hear about all the bad luck. i am sure the ruger will get taken care of and you will be all good. keep us posted and good luck.:ingo:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    As soon as I read the thread title... Then read who the poster was...

I was like "Man, this guy can't catch a break!!"

I hope you can get this one worked out!

VERY very VERY surprised that the Ruger was giving fits. Their revolvers are known to be built like tanks and run forever and ever and ever..

-J-

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Every gun company lets a bad one out the door now and then. The two brand new factory guns I've had that were crap were a S&W and a Glock, not exactly in keeping with either of their reps!

Before getting too down, though, you may want to try spraying some solvent down the firing pin hole, if you haven't already. Could be some of the crap they put all over their guns for shipping has gotten into the channel and is impeding firing pin operation. Worth a shot anyway.

If that doesn't do the trick, Ruger will surely make it right. Their customer service reputation is outstanding.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    you may want to try spraying some solvent down the firing pin hole, if you haven't already. Could be some of the crap they put all over their guns for shipping has gotten into the channel and is impeding firing pin operation.

I had a Saiga-12 that suffered from that very issue a few years ago. Bought it new; it ran OK when I first took it out of the bag at the range, but after being out in the cold awhile, the gunk inside congealed enough to restrict the movement of the firing pin and I started having all kinds of failures to fire. A buddy suggested hosing the bolt down with Gun Scrubber, and you should've seen the black goo that came outta there! Ran like a champ after that, and continues to do so. I never even thought about the possibility of stuff being in the firing pin channel, because the exterior of the gun was completely dry.

My :twocents:

Top Bottom