• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Normally I shoot my 6.5 Grendels at my home range, normally nobody is sitting/standing next to me to catch the blast and concussion shock from the Sabre Defense "Gill" brake that is on the front of the gun.

But this past weekend at the NWI INGO shoot in Winimac I got to see the effects of the Gill brake I currently have on my 18" grendel and its just plain rude. Now don't get me wrong, the brake is effective. As the shooter I get some blow back but the guys next to me are going deaf and are still spitting the dirt and debris out of their teeth.

The gun in question:
    P1000047.jpg

The offending and offensive, but still effective Saber Defense "Gill" Brake:
    568275.jpg

I never realized how bad it was until I was standing behind the shooting line watching other people shoot this gun. Pull the trigger and papers and spent shell casings on the shooting bench would go flying. There is just so much gas directed back to each side that anyone on either side of the gun, even several feet back/away, just gets blasted.

I'm thinking of the WCI brake. Any thoughts?

Review => WCI Muzzle Brake Soldier Systems

wci-brake-and-tp.jpg

Despite the radial porting system, the reviews I've found seem to indicate that it does not blast dirt/sand/debris all over the shooting area.

Any other thoughts? I'm not looking at flash hiders, only true muzzle brakes.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Brakes are not allowed on NRA Highpower rifles for that very reason. The 6.5 Grendal is so light in recoil, do you really think you need a muzzle brake? I shoot .223, 6mm AR, and 308 with no brakes.. I have no trouble with a riflemans cadence whith any of them.

Just asking..

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Brakes are not allowed on NRA Highpower rifles for that very reason. The 6.5 Grendal is so light in recoil, do you really think you need a muzzle brake? I shoot .223, 6mm AR, and 308 with no brakes.. I have no trouble with a riflemans cadence whith any of them.

Just asking..

I have Grendels with and without brakes. On a shorter barrel, lighter weight Grendel I believe the brake is an asset as it allows the scope to stay on target from shot to shot. The recoil impulse is probably double a 223, but probably 50% of a 308 (I also shoot a 308 w/o any brake). I consider the brake to be a convenience and nothing more than that.

But honestly the more I think about it the more I believe I should leave the brake on the gun. 99% of my Grendel shooting is not on a crowded range. No need to spend the $ for the rare times when it would be appreciated.

Top Bottom