• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    So I love my M&P 9mm. She's great......but she also needs a new trigger. I'm too much of a trigger snob to let that go.

So here's my issue. I want a trigger that is below 5lbs but not below 4 lbs.

All of the trigger kits I have seen either run the gun at 5-5.5lbs or are something crazy low like 3lbs.

Anyone have a solution to this problem?

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Yeah I was on their website a little while ago. RobbyMaQ PMed me with the answer. Apparently if you use the apex duty kit, but leave the stock trigger spring in, the trigger will drop to about 4.5ish lbs.

That is precisely what I'm looking for, as it seems to be my sweet spot for the operation of my guns.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Yeppers.
    The duty kit trigger spring brings the poundage back up. I didn't care for it, so I put the stock trigger spring back in.
    This was the gun that had the best trigger (you had expressed this, of the 3 you shot).
    The full size had an apex sear only.
    Compact was fully stock.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Yeah I was on their website a little while ago. RobbyMaQ PMed me with the answer. Apparently if you use the apex duty kit, but leave the stock trigger spring in, the trigger will drop to about 4.5ish lbs.

That is precisely what I'm looking for, as it seems to be my sweet spot for the operation of my guns.

Robby nailed it. I have the DCAEK with the USB and Hard Sear, but I used the stock trigger return spring and the pull is just over 4lbs.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Robby nailed it. I have the DCAEK with the USB and Hard Sear, but I used the stock trigger return spring and the pull is just over 4lbs.

So I am still a little confused. I currently have the USB and the AEK trigger installed. To get to this trigger pull weight do I just need the Hard Sear? Do I need any additional springs? All of my springs right now are the factory ones.

Thanks.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I am unfamiliar with the AEK trigger.
    But the duty kit comes with a hard sear, and sear spring, USB and USB spring. These lighten the trigger pull. Since the kit is for duty/carry, they supply a trigger return spring which is stronger than stock, and brings the weight back up.
    In my case, I didn't care for the additional weight on the pull (maybe 5-6 lb?), so I took it back apart and reinstalled the stock trigger return spring which gave me around 4-5lb pull.
    Perhaps someone with your trigger will have experience with it and chime in.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I should measure the trigger weights on my pistols...

All I have are polished APEX sears in mine and they're rather nice.

-J-

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I am unfamiliar with the AEK trigger.
    But the duty kit comes with a hard sear, and sear spring, USB and USB spring. These lighten the trigger pull. Since the kit is for duty/carry, they supply a trigger return spring which is stronger than stock, and brings the weight back up.
    In my case, I didn't care for the additional weight on the pull (maybe 5-6 lb?), so I took it back apart and reinstalled the stock trigger return spring which gave me around 4-5lb pull.
    Perhaps someone with your trigger will have experience with it and chime in.

Thanks. I suppose the trigger itself may throw a variable into this. I don't want to buy the DCAEK since I already have some of the parts that are in the kit.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Thanks. I suppose the trigger itself may throw a variable into this. I don't want to buy the DCAEK since I already have some of the parts that are in the kit.

The aluminum "AEK" trigger is designed to be used with the DCAEK, or the CompAEK. If the aluminum AEK trigger is all you have, then you have none of the parts that come with the DCAEK or CompAEK.

Here's a break down:

DCAEK-"Duty/Carry Action Enhancement Kit"= utimate striker block w/spring (removes grit and smooths pull), hard sear w/spring (removes over travel, lowers pull weight, and slightly improves reset), duty/carry trigger return spring (raises trigger pull back up some to meet duty standards)

CompAEK-"Competetion Action Enhancement Kit"= utimate striker block w/spring (removes grit and smooths pull), hard sear w/spring (removes over travel, lowers pull weight, and slightly improves reset), lighter comp trigger return spring (further reduces pull), and comp striker spring (also reduces pull weight).

The Aluminum AEK trigger was designed to replace the stock hinged trigger if desired and can be used in conjunction with any combination of factory parts or the above kits but is not to be confused with the FSS which outwardly looks very similar.

RAM- "Reset Assist Mechanism"= an optional kit that "improves" tactile/audible trigger reset. If you are prefer a "Glockish" trigger, this will make you feel right at home. Coming from a Glock myself, I planned on installing one but never got around to it. After getting used to the platform, I no longer think the RAM is necessary.

FSS- "Front Set Sear"= completely different trigger group, springs and sear than and not compatable with the others. Totally changes the geometry of the pull and moves the break point much further forward with very little pre or over travel. Feels almost like a single action trigger.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The aluminum "AEK" trigger is designed to be used with the DCAEK, or the CompAEK. If the aluminum AEK trigger is all you have, then you have none of the parts that come with the DCAEK or CompAEK.

Here's a break down:

DCAEK-"Duty/Carry Action Enhancement Kit"= utimate striker block w/spring (removes grit and smooths pull), hard sear w/spring (removes over travel, lowers pull weight, and slightly improves reset), duty/carry trigger return spring (raises trigger pull back up some to meet duty standards)

CompAEK-"Competetion Action Enhancement Kit"= utimate striker block w/spring (removes grit and smooths pull), hard sear w/spring (removes over travel, lowers pull weight, and slightly improves reset), lighter comp trigger return spring (further reduces pull), and comp striker spring (also reduces pull weight).

The Aluminum AEK trigger was designed to replace the stock hinged trigger if desired and can be used in conjunction with any combination of factory parts or the above kits but is not to be confused with the FSS which outwardly looks very similar.

RAM- "Reset Assist Mechanism"= an optional kit that "improves" tactile/audible trigger reset. If you are prefer a "Glockish" trigger, this will make you feel right at home. Coming from a Glock myself, I planned on installing one but never got around to it. After getting used to the platform, I no longer think the RAM is necessary.

FSS- "Front Set Sear"= completely different trigger group, springs and sear than and not compatable with the others. Totally changes the geometry of the pull and moves the break point much further forward with very little pre or over travel. Feels almost like a single action trigger.

Hope this helps.

I have the USB and the AEK. Check post #8.:)

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I have the USB and the AEK. Check post #8.:)

So you have just the aluminum AEK trigger, or one of the actual "Action Enhancement Kits" (Duty/Carry or Comp)? You can order just the parts you need from Apex to complete the kit you want without ordering the whole kit.

If you have the USB and AEK trigger, you would only need to order the hard sear and spring kit of your choice.

Edit: to answer your post 8 question, if THIS and the USB is what you have, you would need the hard sear & sear spring in combination with the FACTORY trigger return spring to get the pull Robby and I described. I don't believe the AEK trigger effects pull, only pre and over travel. With this combo, you'd have a pretty sweet trigger.

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Not to thread jack but how hard is it to put in the dcaek and what tools are needed?

It's pretty easy. All you really need is a punch for the pins. The kits include a tool that fits in the dovetail to keep the striker block spring from flying off and a small pin to keep the trigger spring lined up properly during re-installation. These are convenient, but not completely necessary.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    So you have just the aluminum AEK trigger, or one of the actual "Action Enhancement Kits" (Duty/Carry or Comp)? You can order just the parts you need from Apex to complete the kit you want without ordering the whole kit.

If you have the USB and AEK trigger, you would only need to order the hard sear and spring kit of your choice.

Edit: to answer your post 8 question, if THIS and the USB is what you have, you would need the hard sear & sear spring in combination with the FACTORY trigger return spring to get the pull Robby and I described. I don't believe the AEK trigger effects pull, only pre and over travel. With this combo, you'd have a pretty sweet trigger.

Awesome! Thanks! I have the aluminum AEK trigger that is $76.95 on the APEX site. I believe the small spring included is the sear spring. If it is, I will order the hard sear next!

chez, I just found out from Apex that the spring included with my AEK trigger and the hard sear is all I need! Thanks for you help. Sorry all for causing the confusion. I'm new. :)

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Carmel
    I'll just lump in here to say that putting the DCAEK and RAM in my M&P9 made a HUGE improvement in the handling of the pistol, along with much better accuracy. And it was easy to do myself.

Top Bottom