• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    When purchasing a SD firearm, what are your best "Rules of Thumb" when determining whether or not you will carry (or depend on if rifle or shotgun) that firearm or not?

Do you run a certain # of the chosen SD round?

Do you run a minimum of 300-400 rds of std ammunition?

What works for your peace of mind?

Do you have different "rules" for A) Revolvers B) Striker Fired Pistols C) Hammer Fired D) Rifles?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I have "never" "broken in", a gun .....

But I learned right here on INGO, that if you don't run 500 fmj, and 500 of the

S D ammo that you are going to carry, then you, are doing it wrong .....

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I would not trust a new or new to me handgun with my life unless I had run at least a complete box of 50 of normal factory ball ammo followed by a couple of mags of my chosen FMJ defense load.

Some guns (Kahr) do have a factory recommended break-in period, but my (bought new) Ruger P95 has never had a gun fault malfunction in 3000 rounds.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I run the first 100~150 standard ball (some reloads, usually 50 factory). Then mix in some SD in a few mags, then a few all SD. If all is well, good to go.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Most reputable firearms don't need a break in period. At least they shouldn't. You should run 1-2 boxes of ball and some of your chosen SD load through to ensure there are no problems. 1-2 mags should be fine, problems will most likely show up in that timeframe.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I have never once bought a gun that required a "Break in period" (besides a new production Smith Model 41 but that's a different rant). Personally I take it to the range run 100 or so rounds of factory and reloaded ammunition through it, then I fire two magazines of my preferred HST hollow-points through it (preferably an entire 50 round box). If all is well I take it home clean and lubricate the gun according to instructions and its into the holster.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    All new to me guns get a 'break in'. It's not the gun that gets broken in, but it's me instead. I don't feel comfortable carrying a gun that I have not shot at least 200 rounds through. If there's an issue during that 200 round learning period, then it gets extended how ever long it will take for me to trust the gun. I've had brand new guns fail to get through the first 10 magazines without a failure in every mag and I've had others that run perfect when new. Don't trust internet folklore, as the two worst guns I've had experience with were a Glock 19 and now a CZ P07. Both have a stellar reputation, yet both could have gotten me killed if I just loaded them and stuck them in a holster. Make a gun earn your trust. It's fun and it's a good idea too since that 200 or so rounds spent shooting will teach you how the gun works in your hand, where it hits and how fast you can pull the trigger while keeping the sights on the target.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2016
    Indiana
    If I'm going to carry it, then initially I try to run 100-200 rounds of fmj and maybe 15-25 rounds of sd ammo. Mainly just so I can get familiar with the gun, but also because I want to make sure that it's not a lemon and will feed and eject without issues.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    If you don't shoot it, and shoot it hard, long, and dirty (heh), then how do you know that it'll function if/when you really need it?

Shoot it enough that you know and are comfortable that it's going to work every time.

All guns can, will, and do fail. I'd like to figure out if they fail early BEFORE my life may depend upon it.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I just went through the process of breaking in and retraining myself with a new SD handgun.

Several months ago, I bought a new Walther CCP with the intention of replacing my daily carry(...a PPK in 9mm kurz). Aside from the obvious differences, trading a bit of concealability for more powerful cartridge and higher capacity, I am going from a double/single action with a short trigger reset to striker fired with a long trigger pull and a long trigger reset. The difference in operation is huge. I took the CCP to two RR pistol classes and shot it the second half of the day both times. Initially...the first two hundred rounds of FMJ, I had a couple of malfunctions where the pistol seemed to lock up; but, after several more range visits and another couple hundred rounds, I have had no issues.

Last Friday, I went to my new favorite LGS/indoor Range, Indy Arms with the purpose of trying a variety of SD ammunition. I bought a box of Speer Gold Dot and a box of the Sig Elite Performance ammunition. I fired all 40 rounds. The CCP fired both types of hollow points with no issue.

At this point, I am pretty close to making the switch in my daily carry routine. I plan to continue my weekly range visits. I realize it will take another couple thousand reps before shooting the new pistol will be instinctive. I am very pleased with the CCP. I seem to shoot it much more accurately than the PPK.

Last edited:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    All the guns I bought new softened up the springs a little from "NIB" to a few dozen rounds. After they they tend to stay pretty similar until end-of-life (where you'll start to get failures and it's time to replace the springs). I'd agree with breaking in the user to the gun as much as breaking the gun in itself. My FNX mag, trigger, hammer, and recoil springs were VERY stiff out of the box, recommended procedure on the FN forums is fully load the mags, lock the slide back, and let the gun and mags sit in the safe for a few days.

The "run x amount of ammo through it" isn't so much break in as it is proof-testing for reliability.

Same goes for cars. The majority of the break in on most cars is done in a <100 miles in most cases. The 1000-1500 mile break in in the book is from the insurance companies so you don't go buy a new car and trash it because you weren't ready/used to it.

Bobkunz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2016
    Bean Blossom
    Personally I run a box of each (FMJ/SD) through at minimum. My smaller carry gun is a little over a month old and has already seen about 300 rds with no issues. My larger carry is a Glock 22 Gen 3 PD Trade In that has seen some real service time. I still have had no issues after a box of ammo. My general recommendation is find a used weapon of reputable brand. Personal favorites are PD Trade ins. If that's not your flavor, always choose a brand that has a good warranty.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    If you don't shoot it, and shoot it hard, long, and dirty (heh), then how do you know that it'll function if/when you really need it?

Shoot it enough that you know and are comfortable that it's going to work every time.

All guns can, will, and do fail. I'd like to figure out if they fail early BEFORE my life may depend upon it.

Truer words were never spoken.
    I really hate to admit this, but it may help someone, so,

Years and years ago, when I was but a wee lad, I bought a Kel-Tec P32.
    A nice little pistol. Chewed up everything I put in it, and more or less put them where I wanted them.
    Life was good.
    I carried my easily concealable P32 IWB at 11:00.
    VERY easy access, and not terribly uncomfortable.
    Life was good.

Then, one day, when I went to clean it, I removed the magazine and cleared the chamber.
    Disassemble, clean, reassemble, rack the slide and pull the trigger.
    Nothing! The trigger dropped without resistance. WTH?

Upon inspection I found something I had been neglecting, and it very well could have cost me my life.
    The mainspring on that little P32 is exposed on the bottom of the grip.
    I carried IWB, and I sweat.

My sweat had eaten through the coil on the end of the mainspring, and I'd been carrying a paperweight!
    It could have been no more than a day, but lesson learned.

I still have that little P32. I replaced the mainspring and it's been 100% reliable since.
    Regardless, I now can't get myself to carry it again.
    It's a fun little range toy, but I have others I trust more.

The Kel-Tec is a solid little gun.
    I failed to care for it properly, and I'm glad I learned the easy way.
    I pay a much greater attention to details these days.

Be careful folks.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Those who don't test their weapons before carrying, are the same that don't need a spare magazine, or carry a .45 for knock down power, and probably shoot less than 50 rounds a year period! That is through all 50 of their guns!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Those who don't test their weapons before carrying, are the same that don't need a spare magazine, or carry a .45 for knock down power, and probably shoot less than 50 rounds a year period! That is through all 50 of their guns!

You paint with a pretty wide brush.

Bobkunz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2016
    Bean Blossom
    I agree. Put the thing through the ringer while training with it; then care for it like it's your new born baby. Only then can you truly trust your weapon.

Top Bottom