• ...and so much more!
  • Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I currently have a frigidaire model fghs2631pf4a.
    View attachment 322240

It has an ice maker and water dispenser on the left side door (freezer door) and works. It was manufactured in 2015 and for about the past month its been makes a loud noise in the back left top side. Maybe it's the ice maker? Sounds like the compressor.

The unit still works but I figures maybe it's time to do the research for when the unit does die I'm ready to get a new one.

I don't need the ice maker and won't cry if it does not have the water filter feature either. I rarely use the ice or the water. Actually find that I would rather have the space for food in freezer than the ice maker area.

In any case any recommendations?

I have a upright stand alone freezer (slim design) for extra freezer space.
    I do not like the units with the freezer on the bottom.

So looking mainly at another double door or perhaps back to the old fashion freezer on top.
    I suspect it's the fan behind the freezer that pushes cold air to the refrigerator. The part probably doesn't cost too much.

I would avoid Samsung and LG because of their compressors. I have a Bosch and haven't had any problems with it. If I was to get a cheaper brand, I would have considered a GE product because I could get parts local and have it back up and running right away.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Samsung has a temperature sensor tucked away in a corner. If the door is open often, that corner ices up from the thawing and freezing and the freezer thinks it's colder than it is. It is a poorly designed refrigerator.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Funny everyone says Samsung is junk. Our house came with all appliances brand new Samsung when we bought it. Still had the blue protective plastic on the front when we moved in. And everyone was right, they were all junk. Every single appliance *except* the fridge failed over a few years. Stove, microwave, dishwasher, washer, dryer, all failed. Fridge is still going, but the shelves on the doors crack fairly often and I've had to replace several of them. We must have got the last one they made to not fail, 15 years now with no significant issues other than the shelf thing.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    We have a Whirlpool SBS we bought when we moved into this house in 2004. 5 or so years ago my wife decided that one was too old and wanted a new one. I learned a long time ago to let her pick the appliances. (Long story).

She picked a Samsung French door type with all the bells and whistles. Unbeknownst to us these had a problem with the ice makers freezing up. We lived with it for years until I finally found a fix for it. Another $250 in it and the freezing up problem is fixed. Other than that it’s run fine.

Oh, and that Whirlpool? It’s still down in the basement…running fine.
    My whirlpool side-by-side is over 20 yo now and still runs great although it’s on its second icemaker module.

I do do my due diligence for maintenance on it. Each year I remove the lower front panel and vacuum out all of the coils to keep them clear of dust and cat hair.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I suspect it's the fan behind the freezer that pushes cold air to the refrigerator. The part probably doesn't cost too much.

I would avoid Samsung and LG because of their compressors. I have a Bosch and haven't had any problems with it. If I was to get a cheaper brand, I would have considered a GE product because I could get parts local and have it back up and running right away.
    I'll have to look tomorrow.
    I pushed the unit out to see behind it.
    Don't see any vents just the water lines.
    The noise started up again a little while ago. Rather annoying but liveable if you are not in the kitchen.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The noise started up again a little while ago. Rather annoying but liveable if you are not in the kitchen.
    is it a fan noise.
    cause it would be silly to replace it because of a $50 part.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    My cheap Sears Fridge is still going strong from 2002 or so. I'm tempted to pick up a new one "just in case". Beer fridge is even older and still going strong. Since I have backup, I might just wait until one or the other actually dies... :dunno:

Good luck to the OP buying something that works well and lasts.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    The fan could be behind the freezer wall, probably top right. And will shut off when you open the freezer door.
    If it is the fan, it could be iced up, hitting on some ice. Defrosting it might help.

It's accessed through the freezer, not the back. It involves unloading the freezer, pulling the ice maker, removing the shelves and back panel. So, just try defrosting it. Could just be a chunk of ice.

Last edited:

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    Like others have said, I'd shy away from Samsung.
    If you want reliability and longevity, get as bare-bones refrigerator as you can live with.
    Bells and whistles make for good commercials but add to complexity and points of failure going forward.

Bens Appliances and Junk is a great place to get the skinny on appliances.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    When we bought our house about 3 years ago, we got new appliances too. Fridge is a Hisense and I've been pretty happy with it. It has a water dispenser and ice maker and everything simply works and it's quiet. I know it's not a premier brand but it works. What convinced me on the Hisense brand in the first place was how well one held up under heavy use at our family's restaurant. We had it in the kitchen for small items and such. We eat refrigerators in that place and normally replace the one in the kitchen once a year sometimes as many as 3 a year. That Hisense was bought used and lasted 5 years.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    The nose becomes apart when you open the freezer or fridge door.

This morning the unit was quiet.
    Opened the fridge side door to get eggs and the nose started up (at medium level).

About 1 hour later it stopped.
    Open the freezer side to get an eggroll box and the stop started up loud again.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Getting hotter when you open the door, the compressor will turn on. It could be a noisy compressor fan. Remove the lower panel in the back and clean the fan and condenser coils. Try to lubricate the fan bearings.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    We will NEVER buy another samsung, frigidaire, whirlpool anything

Top Bottom