• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Oh, come onnnn...Glock wanted their name on a cartridge, much like "40 Smith & Wesson" or "300 Winchester"...Problem is, only a GLOCK would shoot it. The others were smart enough to realize other firearms manufacturers would also use their ammo. :):

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The problem with the GAP was that it really brought nothing to the table. To increase capacity, you either widen the grip, lengthen the grip or shrink the diameter of the bullet. Most Glocks are about as wide as they can be, so that really did not work and if you lengthen the grip, you no longer have a compact pistol. Shortening the cartridge only helps if you are trying to get a long round into a standard size frame, like S&W did when the developed the .40 S&W from the 10mm Auto. It gives you the ability to shoot that round in more pistols, but does nothing to increase the capacity. The .45 GAP answered a question that only Glock was asking and that was how to fit a .45 round into their standard mid-size frame.

Back to the original question though, I don't mind stepping away from the traditional .45 for a 1911, but I really have trouble getting my head around a poly frame. Guns that are designed for a poly frame from the start are fine, but guns that are originally designed with a steel frame feel like cheap fakes to me when done in poly.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Lets not forget that JMB is the creator of the .25acp, the .32acp, .38acp, .380acp, .45acp, and the .50bmg.

My personal belief on this matter is, John Browning was a thousand times smarter than the idiots on this website who discredit anything but a .45, and treat it like it was the ONLY goal that JMB strived for. I see no reason to believe that JMB would have an issue with one of HIS calibers, being used in one of HIS guns. Lighten up people.... .45acp is not god almighty, or else JMB would have designed all his handguns to use it. Theres a time and place for all calibers.

But then another way to look at that is that even the guy who CREATED the round didn't choose it for the 1911. I believe, though, that the original question from this thread was NOT, "does 380 suck", or "is 380 stupid", just "is it a 1911?" No, it is not. And for those who get all panty-strangled when we say that, why do you CARE if it's called a 1911? If you have a .380 or a .25 or a .22lr that looks and functions more or less like a 1911, why do you give an aerial fornication whether it's called a 1911? A Hummer or an FJ is not a Jeep. That doesn't mean they're stupid or worthless (except the hummer...), they're just not Jeeps.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    But then another way to look at that is that even the guy who CREATED the round didn't choose it for the 1911. I believe, though, that the original question from this thread was NOT, "does 380 suck", or "is 380 stupid", just "is it a 1911?" No, it is not. And for those who get all panty-strangled when we say that, why do you CARE if it's called a 1911? If you have a .380 or a .25 or a .22lr that looks and functions more or less like a 1911, why do you give an aerial fornication whether it's called a 1911? A Hummer or an FJ is not a Jeep. That doesn't mean they're stupid or worthless (except the hummer...), they're just not Jeeps.

OK....to clarify and keep my 1911 man card.....I have a .22Lr pistol that really "Looks" a lot like a 1911.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    OK....to clarify and keep my 1911 man card.....I have a .22Lr pistol that really "Looks" a lot like a 1911.

I didn't know you had a 1911 in .22lr. :)

I've often wasted what few brain cycles I have left on the question of what makes a gun a 1911. My Sig P238 is shaped externally like a 1911, yet I don't consider it to be a 1911. There is too much different going on internally to be called a 1911. But, what about some others like a Kimber Compact. When I compare that to my Remington Rand, there's a lot different there too, yet I consider it to be a 1911.

To me, and maybe only to me, a 1911 is defined by the way the trigger, disconnector, sear, hammer, safetys and barrel links function. That makes a Systema a 1911, but a Ballestar Molina is not. With that decided, I can focus those ever slowing neurons on more important issues like which bourbon I like best.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I didn't know you had a 1911 in .22lr. :)

I've often wasted what few brain cycles I have left on the question of what makes a gun a 1911. My Sig P238 is shaped externally like a 1911, yet I don't consider it to be a 1911. There is too much different going on internally to be called a 1911. But, what about some others like a Kimber Compact. When I compare that to my Remington Rand, there's a lot different there too, yet I consider it to be a 1911.

To me, and maybe only to me, a 1911 is defined by the way the trigger, disconnector, sear, hammer, safetys and barrel links function. That makes a Systema a 1911, but a Ballestar Molina is not. With that decided, I can focus those ever slowing neurons on more important issues like which bourbon I like best.

I use it to train the women in the family and friends in handgun. It is also a loaner to trusted friends to train their people. I have lost track of how many people were introduced to handguns with that pistol. It has never to my knowledge experienced a problem not related to ammo.

One of my nieces. Sophomore in colledge.1st time at the range. Her dad is a liberal dick head so this pic was sent out right away. His head imploded.

My wifes 77 year old mother.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I think it's pretty funny how people will go on and on about "it's not a 1911 if it's not in .45 ACP!"... Yet don't seem to care that his original designs didn't have a manual safety. He was asked to include one. Of course, the "Final" prototype 1911 DID have a manual safety - so this is a niggle.

BUT, it was a one-sided safety.

Nor did those pistols have lowered/flared ejection ports.

What if I were to posit that if your "1911" has an ambi safety lever and a lowered/flared ejection port...or any number of things different from the "real" 1911 - that your guns are also not 1911?

See how silly this argument can become?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You can ride it around in your Mustang II while sipping New Coke. A .380 1911 is perfect for a "classic American icon, but totally botched version" lifestyle!

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I like the 1911. I have one in 45 acp. I don't want one in 380. 38 supper would be nice. I have a Browning High Power in 9mm and can't see having a 1911 in 9mm. 357 Sig might be a kick. I think someone made a 357mag in a 1911 type frame. I thought that was a little to much for a 1911. I have read that it has quite a kick to it and it beats its self up. Then I have also heard that 629 do that and mine have never given me any problems like that. So as they say you can't believe everything you read. I don't have a problem with the 380. I got one for the wife. It is what she wanted. I have always looked at he 380 as being made to out preform the 25 and 32 in small hand guns. I have no idea why anyone would want it in a larger hand gun. If the handgun is larger why wouldn't you go with the 9mm. I don't think they will sell many. Not at that price any way.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    It is true that JMB was not a fan of the .45 caliber, and it was not his idea. But its what happened, and it IS the accurate 1911 caliber. But there is nothing wrong with a 1911 in another caliber. Its just different. Some people are purists, and they worship an accurate version of the 1911 GI model. I myself love the bone standard 1911. But some take it to an extreme that defies rational thought... I am abit of a purist, and like to see a .380 in the pocketlite platform, which makes more sense given the firearms small size, to match the small caliber. A .22 1911 is a great training aid, and good for people who are recoil sensitive. A .380 is a defensive round, and there is no reason to carry a large frame pistol, with a small cartridge. Basically, IMO, if your going to carry a 1911, it should be a .45, .38 super, or 9mm. If you want to carry a .380, and love JMB designs, get yourself a mustang. That being said, if you want a 1911 in .380, rock on....

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    my old truck gun was a keltec p3at that I sold to my little sister a couple years ago. I do need a new truck gun, but as cool as I think this might be, that price tag is gonna be hard to swallow. And I sure as hell aint leaving any of my good handguns in the truck permanently!

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    No redeeming social value!:twocents: I'm thinking this is so flogging something dead, but hey, I've got time today. I can't remember how many .380s I went thru looking for The Solution, only to figure - for me - it sure wasn't the answer. I think a lot of us have done the same looking for that small, perfect carry. I'll opine that at 7.38 inches I'd rather keep the CM9 at 5.25, inches along with a lot of others.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Bah....

The .45 ACP is a weak, rimless ripoff of the .45 LC equivalent to a .45 Schofield.

Not to mention, the .45 ACP round as well as the 1911 are a fad. Like the internet, it's just the hot thing now and will quickly be replaced by the next better thing. I hear they are making guns out of plastic now days...

Top Bottom