New Bloomington mayor is about to freak out, put more pressure on her.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I make no distinction.
    You really should. People on INGO are always saying that our tax dollars shouldn't go to welfare programs, etc., but should be handled by private organizations, churches, etc.. Well Wheeler Mission is doing just that. So perhaps you'd do well to adjust your view of them.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I wonder how long before the illegal busses show up in Bloomington and other college towns?

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    I wonder how long before the illegal busses show up in Bloomington and other college towns?
    It's already getting people (homeless) shipped in due to the resources available for them. The parole district Bloomington is in has it's offices in Bloomington so paroles are getting dumped here as well.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    You really should. People on INGO are always saying that our tax dollars shouldn't go to welfare programs, etc., but should be handled by private organizations, churches, etc.. Well Wheeler Mission is doing just that. So perhaps you'd do well to adjust your view of them.
    They consume plenty of taxpayer grants, I assume, and accomplish nothing but providing a focal point for criminals and the mentally ill to gather around.

They're not serving the community when moving in next to your house would destroy your property value and ruin your quality of life.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    They consume plenty of taxpayer grants, I assume, and accomplish nothing but providing a focal point for criminals and the mentally ill to gather around.

They're not serving the community when moving in next to your house would destroy your property value and ruin your quality of life.
    That's not the way it is in Indy. That's a sad outlook you have. Pray you never find yourself in need of that type of service.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    That's not the way it is in Indy. That's a sad outlook you have. Pray you never find yourself in need of that type of service.
    Dude I just straight up don't respond to the "why do you hate me for doing good?" play anymore.

They aren't doing good for the community by attracting and supporting people to live like this. I may think feeding stray cats is a "good" thing, but the reality is the cats bite and scratch the neighbors and the only person who feels good is me.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    A new leftist idiot replacing another leftist idiot. Shockingly when you put out the welcome mat for bums and degenerates while simultaneously hobbling your police force, you get lots of crime!

That location is where I often get pizza; I guess I might have to drive farther in the future. :(

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Dude I just straight up don't respond to the "why do you hate me for doing good?" play anymore.

They aren't doing good for the community by attracting and supporting people to live like this. I may think feeding stray cats is a "good" thing, but the reality is the cats bite and scratch the neighbors and the only person who feels good is me.
    So what's your solution? I assure you that the Indy location does a lot of good for the people that they help. It's not all druggies and weirdos. There are families that take shelter there. It's not that hard to become homeless these days. I'd wager that a lot of, if not most people are one major medical issue away from being wiped out.

FWIW, I'm fine with rounding up and jailing the troublemakers. I'm just saying that not all of the people helped by Wheeler are troublemakers.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    So what's your solution? I assure you that the Indy location does a lot of good for the people that they help. It's not all druggies and weirdos. There are families that take shelter there. It's not that hard to become homeless these days. I'd wager that a lot of, if not most people are one major medical issue away from being wiped out.

FWIW, I'm fine with rounding up and jailing the troublemakers. I'm just saying that not all of the people helped by Wheeler are troublemakers.
    The problem is providing help for those who, through no or little fault of their own find themselves in trouble vs. those that choose this lifestyle, for whatever reason.

There will always be the poor among us. Helping them while not making subsistence seekers comfortable in their poverty is a trick.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The problem is providing help for those who, through no or little fault of their own find themselves in trouble vs. those that choose this lifestyle, for whatever reason.

There will always be the poor among us. Helping them while not making subsistence seekers comfortable in their poverty is a trick.
    I agree completely. I live within about a mile of 2 or 3 "transient" hotels (aka crack or meth dens). There are also a lot of homeless that hang out near the Kroger where I shop. A gal that used to work for DoggyMama cleaning houses is one of them. We let her stay here for a little bit, but she went back to that life.

All that to say, there is a difference between the two groups.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I agree completely. I live within about a mile of 2 or 3 "transient" hotels (aka crack or meth dens). There are also a lot of homeless that hang out near the Kroger where I shop. A gal that used to work for DoggyMama cleaning houses is one of them. We let her stay here for a little bit, but she went back to that life.

All that to say, there is a difference between the two groups.
    I volunteered for a season at the Bedford men’s warming shelter. If that group was typical of the homeless population (of men anyway) roughly 60% are guys that just had a series of bad luck. Some brought it on themselves or allowed it to happen, some just lost some anchor in their lives. A sizable number just don’t want much out of life except to work systems and exhaust whatever good will they can sponge out of people.

The Bedford shelter does try to get the guys “back in the system”. And a fair percentage do. The others that don’t want to? Well, they’re not going to turn them away to freeze to death. In fact, that’s why the shelter was founded, because of a homeless guy freezing to death.

The cities and towns do no one any favors by allowing the camps the persist. I’m sure they think they’re being compassionate but that’s not really true.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn

That’s why it should be tackled by private money and not government money. Private money can evaluate the need and say “no” when required.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

The ones not inclined to troublemaking don't live in tent camps indefinitely.

Personally I think we should bus them to the libs.

Top Bottom