• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Well this is a good step. I could see this as a step on the way to invalidating the entire SBR portion of the NFA?

I mean I guess if the government realizes the cat is well and truly out of the bag here.
    In a way, I hope it doesnt do that. The constant whining and gnashing of teeth about how unfair it is that all y'all current stamp holders got screwed and the rest of us getting the same toys for "free" is unfair :crying: will be REALLY annoying. LOL

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    In a way, I hope it doesnt do that. The constant whining and gnashing of teeth about how unfair it is that all y'all current stamp holders got screwed and the rest of us getting the same toys for "free" is unfair :crying: will be REALLY annoying. LOL
    I dunno. If they want to charge a 200 dollar tax. That is fine. Taxation of things is a long held right of the government.

Just get rid of the long background check and registration requirements, and the onerous penalties. When someone does the 4473 on an SBR, the FFL collects the 200 dollar tax and sends the money to the IRS.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I dunno. If they want to charge a 200 dollar tax. That is fine. Taxation of things is a long held right of the government.

Just get rid of the long background check and registration requirements, and the onerous penalties. When someone does the 4473 on an SBR, the FFL collects the 200 dollar tax and sends the money to the IRS.
    I had no idea you were a fan of poll taxes. LOL

Just knock it off and let us have our short barrels and hearing protection and leave us be.
    You should be able to buy suppressors in the same aisle at Cabelas as the ear pro, with both having the ability to be taken straight to the cash register to be paid for and walk out. I might be willing to make a concession that you have to show ID to prove you are over 18 or 21. But thats it.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I had no idea you were a fan of poll taxes. LOL

Just knock it off and let us have our short barrels and hearing protection and leave us be.
    You should be able to buy suppressors in the same aisle at Cabelas as the ear pro, with both having the ability to be taken straight to the cash register to be paid for and walk out. I might be willing to make a concession that you have to show ID to prove you are over 18 or 21. But thats it.
    Well yes, that would be best. Remove SBRs and Suppressors from the NFA

And the 200 thing is getting truly to be a normal tax, compared to what it was in 1934. The 200 dollar value was locked down in 1934 by law. Back then it was meant to be a absolutely prohibitive barrier.. now? It is just a small tax. As inflation rises, its going to get even worse.

That is one thing about the NFA that is absolutely codified and locked down, the 200 dollar value.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana

Copy of the decision.

TL;DR - 5th circuit stays the rule in it’s entirety and places a nationwide injunction on the ATF and the new pistol brace rule, not allowing any enforcement across the board. FPC and GOA members are not the only one’s covered anymore.
    This isn't the 5th Circuit ruling . . . it's the Northern District of Texas, Amarillo Division.

Just caught up with this breaking news now. Same YouTuber, Tom Grieve, as was just posted. Normally don't scan things until Friday or early Saturday as late Friday at close of court business is when most important decisions are issued. How did he know about it so fast? Britto v. BATFE is brought to you by [drum roll] the Wisconsin Institute for Law and Liberty, Inc. (aka WILL). Guess where Tom Grieve practices law. [drum roll] Brookfield, Wisconsin, a suburb on the east side of Milwaukee. He did an interview with a principal of the WILL organization not long ago.

The Biden Woke Minions are going to be apoplectic. There is no "10 day Stay" of this District Court's Order to allow for BATFE appeal to 5th Circuit. Even if they did appeal to 5th Circuit, they'd not get a very sympathetic ear. Expect them to push a case elsewhere to try to get conflicting court decisions to try to limit this one's jurisdiction. Thus far it's a nationwide Preliminary Injunction.

Last edited:

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    View attachment 310815
    I take everything with a grain of salt and consider the source(s).
    Watch the Tom Grieve video. He's a practicing defense attorney with a specialty in firearms and 2A law. It can be a little geeky in places, but it's not verbose. Watched the John Crump with Flying Rich video this morning. Nothing additional in it that Tom Grieve doesn't cover. Crump is usually among the first to find out about things. I expect all the rest of the 2A YouTubers will be pumping out videos today and tomorrow.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    This isn't the 5th Circuit ruling . . . it's the Northern District of Texas, Amarillo Division.

Just caught up with this breaking news now. Same YouTuber, Tom Grieve, as was just posted. Normally don't scan things until Friday or early Saturday as late Friday at close of court business is when most important decisions are issued. How did he know about it so fast? Britto v. BATFE is brought to you by [drum roll] the Wisconsin Institute for Law and Liberty, Inc. (aka WILL). Guess where Tom Grieve practices law. [drum roll] Brookfield, Wisconsin, a suburb on the east side of Milwaukee. He did an interview with a principal of the WILL organization not long ago.

The Biden Woke Minions are going to be apoplectic. There is no "10 day Stay" of this District Court's Order to allow for BATFE appeal to 5th Circuit. Even if they did appeal to 5th Circuit, they'd not get a very sympathetic ear. Expect them to push a case elsewhere to try to get conflicting court decisions to try to limit this one's jurisdiction. Thus far it's a nationwide Preliminary Injunction.
    Thank you for the correction, I bow to your attention to detail and better knowledge of these things!

Here’s a simplified video for shlubs like me:

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Well yes, that would be best. Remove SBRs and Suppressors from the NFA

And the 200 thing is getting truly to be a normal tax, compared to what it was in 1934. The 200 dollar value was locked down in 1934 by law. Back then it was meant to be a absolutely prohibitive barrier.. now? It is just a small tax. As inflation rises, its going to get even worse.

That is one thing about the NFA that is absolutely codified and locked down, the 200 dollar value.
    I see what you’re saying, and can somewhat agree just based on the legalese alone. However the $200 is, in my opinion, absolutely still prohibitive to this day, as it is an extra cost and the reason why I don’t own any suppressors.

The Second Amendment is a codified right just like the First, and it would be anathema to ideals of the country to be charged a $200 tax to speak freely.

IMG_6197.jpeg

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I see what you’re saying, and can somewhat agree just based on the legalese alone. However the $200 is, in my opinion, absolutely still prohibitive to this day, as it is an extra cost and the reason why I don’t own any suppressors.

The Second Amendment is a codified right just like the First, and it would be anathema to ideals of the country to be charged a $200 tax to speak freely.

I have read that suppressors were much cheaper in Europe before they went gun control crazy. That said, I wonder if the prices of suppressors are not artificially boosted by the NFA crap. A suppressor for a .22 should start at about $30 and common hand gun suppressors about $75.

Then the market can get into is more expensive better…

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Meh. These enforcement injunctions always seem to get appealed and overturned extremely quickly.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I have read that suppressors were much cheaper in Europe before they went gun control crazy. That said, I wonder if the prices of suppressors are not artificially boosted by the NFA crap. A suppressor for a .22 should start at about $30 and common hand gun suppressors about $75.

In New Zeland you used to be able to buy cans online and have them sent to you via mail,

Attachments

• IMG_4934.png
      IMG_4934.png
      1.1 MB · Views: 7
    • IMG_4935.png
      IMG_4935.png
      349.1 KB · Views: 7

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan

Of that I have no doubt. The ol’ “supply and demand” principle in effect. When combined with the fact that they are manufactured in small quantities due to their regulation and the ubiquitous “right to exercise fee,” they are ultimately cost prohibitive for many buyers. If they were removed from the NFA and made in larger quantities for general purchase, I believe the price would go down quite a bit. That being said, they are (supposed to be) a precision machined item so one would have to ask a machinist how much would actually take to make one with average materials, know-how and skill.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Of that I have no doubt. The ol’ “supply and demand” principle in effect. When combined with the fact that they are manufactured in small quantities due to their regulation and the ubiquitous “right to exercise fee,” they are ultimately cost prohibitive for many buyers. If they were removed from the NFA and made in larger quantities for general purchase, I believe the price would go down quite a bit. That being said, they are (supposed to be) a precision machined item so one would have to ask a machinist how much would actually take to make one with average materials, know-how and skill.
    Without a doubt. Those things could be made on a mechanized assembly line just like more ubiquitous things like oil filters. You get that row of machines turning them out one every 30-90 seconds and boy howdy it would be cheap.

But without the demand due to the restrictions, we are stuck with expensive, hand made units.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    That said, I wonder if the prices of suppressors are not artificially boosted by the NFA crap. A suppressor for a .22 should start at about $30 and common hand gun suppressors about $75.
    I got flamed pretty good for suggesting this a few years ago. Responses included "so you think machining exotic metals is so easy?" or something like that.

Top Bottom