• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I stated before that SIG markets to the Army like they are personal firearms manufactures.

This is what I witnessed.
    1. Free internet provided by SIG at Ft Benning CONUS replacement.

2. Goody bag provided by SIG before you get on plane.

3. Steak dinner in Afghanistan provided by SIG.

4. Buffet provide by SIG upon return to Ft Benning.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I stated before that SIG markets to the Army like they are personal firearms manufactures.

This is what I witnessed.
    1. Free internet provided by SIG at Ft Benning CONUS replacement.

2. Goody bag provided by SIG before you get on plane.

3. Steak dinner in Afghanistan provided by SIG.

4. Buffet provide by SIG upon return to Ft Benning.
    Yup. Sig wins every contract because they schmooze harder than anyone else. This is the reality of arms procurement in the United States.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

Still can't get over what an absolute chonkasaurus this rifle is. Every time I see someone holding it, it looks like an incorrectly scaled video game prop.

I thought we were supposed to be getting a more inclusive, feminine army. How does only issuing gigantic battle rifles that kick like mules fit into that?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

Still can't get over what an absolute chonkasaurus this rifle is. Every time I see someone holding it, it looks like an incorrectly scaled video game prop.

I thought we were supposed to be getting a more inclusive, feminine army. How does only issuing gigantic battle rifles that kick like mules fit into that?

Feminine army, yep.
    Marines are still Marines. :dunno:

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    First a few things.

The cartridge is .277 Fury (6.8x51).
    There will be two types issued.
    Practice ammo will be normal brass cased standard pressure stuff.
    Issue ammo will be a hybrid case, with a steel metal base. This allows SIG to pass a (no pass) barrier and jack the cartridge pressure up past what a pure brass case can handle (80,000 psi). With this case SIG has changed the barriers and allows 3000FPS with a 135 grain projectile.

Ironicaly the case dimensions are dead on identical to the original Garand Cartridge, the .276 Pedersen

The Army is spooling up a new building and production line at Lake City to produce this. Its the main thing holding back limited initial deployment testing of the new stuff.

1703614448381.png

To use this cartridge there are two new firearms, the XM7 (it was going to be the XM5 until someone figured out Colt held some sort of rights to the M5 designation) and the XM250 machine gun

1703614797070.png

The Army is also calling it a Rifle, not a Carbine. So when adopted fully, it will be the M7 rifle.

To go along with the new rifle, there is a new squad automatic. the Beltfed XM250.

There have also been contracts cut to have the M240 machine gun converted to the new cartridge.

Also, contracts have been cut to have the M134 minigun converted. If you thought the Mingun is freaking lethal in 308.. I need to find the video of it being tested with the 277 Fury.

The old M4 carbine will be kept around, it will ironically serve the original role of the carbine, it will be issued to anyone not in a combat role

The USMC won't be using all this stuff. They will retain the M27 Infantry Automatic Rifle.

Last edited:

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I am still wondering why this is a army thing and not a DOD? All branches moving to it. Then there's nato as well.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I am still wondering why this is a army thing and not a DOD? All branches moving to it. Then there's nato as well.
    Because the USMC likes their H&K made M27 IAR. But they did make H&K put a bayonet lug on their version of the 416. I am sure there were many many confused Germans when that request was made.

The rest of the DOD outside SOF just uses whatever, M4 and M16 series are fine for them.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    If that's the muzzle signature of these new sig cans, they need to go back to the drawing board, that's absurd.
    Thats the MG The XM250 being fired without the suppressor.

The MG will have a massive can on it, but it can be removed leaving that odd muzzle device.

SIG_Sauer_XM250.png

I need to find the minigun video they put 6.8x51 barrels on, the fireball at the muzzle was absolute insane.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Because the USMC likes their H&K made M27 IAR. But they did make H&K put a bayonet lug on their version of the 416. I am sure there were many many confused Germans when that request was made.

The rest of the DOD outside SOF just uses whatever, M4 and M16 series are fine for them.
    The HK is still 5.56. Guess should say makes crossloading ammo and mag between the branches very hard

Top Bottom