• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mconley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Hendricks Co.
    Ok, I need a little insight here, I have been looking for a metal framed 9mm pistol that is rugged, and accurate... cosmetics dosent matter much to me, if the bad guy is seening it, he prob wont remember what it looks like. I think I have narrowed it down to the kahr arms k9, or the sig 239 in 9mm.

I am looking for comparisions of both, as well as a bit of insight on the difference between the k9 and the k9 elite.

Night sights are prefered, and it will need to last me, I am getting rid of my 1911 for one of these so being happy is my number 1 concern. Thanks

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Although I carry a Kahr PM9 all the time in a pocket holster, I got my daughter a Sig P239 in 9mm as a birthday gift a few years ago. She loves it and is very accurate with it at more than confrontation distances.

We took it to a friends farm last weekend and ran a few hundred rounds through it. All stayed on target, and I enjoyed shooting it from either hand. It was flawless in performance.

Kahr makes great pistols too. :)

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    You should really look at the Bersa Thunder Pro 9mm, in full size and compact.

I have the compact version, and I LOVE IT! Do a little research and you'll find that everybody who shoots one loves em as well. And it's a lot cheaper than the 2 guns you listed.

The finish on the Bersas leave something to be desired, but they're meant to be used and carried, not stored in a safe.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I think I have narrowed it down to the kahr arms k9, or the sig 239 in 9mm.

You should really look at the Bersa Thunder Pro 9mm, in full size and compact.

"I'm trying to decide between A or B."

"C! Pick C! I have a C and I love it!"

Sometimes one needs to leave one's own preferences out of it and actually answer the OP's question. :dunno:

mconley:
    Both the guns you mention are well made, reliable and accurate. The P239 is somewhat larger and heavier than the K9, and has a traditional double-action (DA/SA) operating system with an exposed hammer and a decocker, where the K9 is smaller, lighter, and has a double-action only (DAO) system with an internal striker and no decocker. The SIG holds one more round in the magazine than the Kahr.

If the gun is going to be for daily carry and you don't mind a DAO trigger, I'd recommend the K9, due to its smaller, slimmer and lighter package.

The differences between the K9 and K9 Elite are minor. The Elite features a polished stainless slide, beveled mag well, polished feed ramp, and laser-engraved (vs. stamped) frame markings. It used to also feature a shorter, smoother (but a bit heavier) trigger pull, but all current-production Kahrs, save for the NYPD K9 and the CW series, now feature the upgraded "Elite" trigger package.

If you would like to shoot a K9 before you buy one, LMK; I'd be happy to bring mine and meet you at MCF&G sometime. I also have a P9 (polymer-framed equivalent of the K9) if you want to do some comparison testing.

Last edited:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Each to his own opinion..

One of the best carry guns that I have had was a CZ-P0-1
    It is a mid-size 14 round mag. alloy frame steel slide 9mm.
    To me it had perfect balance and point-ability..Bill..:)

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    "I'm trying to decide between A or B."

"C! Pick C! I have a C and I love it!"

Sometimes one needs to leave one's own preferences out of it and actually answer the OP's question. :dunno:

What harm is there in suggesting a third option? While the Bersa is my "preference", in relation to the OP it is merely an "opinion" or "suggestion". I never once told the OP to "pick C!".

Besides, I have no experience with neither of the guns the OP mentioned. I like my Bersa enough that I promote the brand when the opportunity arises.

Sorry if my post left you with a sour aftertaste.

LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    I don't have any experience with the kahrs, but I own the 229 which is the the 239's fat brother and it's the best shooting gun I've had the opportunity to own, I even carry it, I would just say if u got the sig, u wouldn't be at all disappointed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    If the cosmetics aren't your concern as you stated, then get either a Kel-Tec P-11 or PF9. If I don't carry the 11 IWB, then I am carrying the 9 in my pocket. Both are accurate and highly reliable.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    ... I am getting rid of my 1911 for one of these so being happy is my number 1 concern. Thanks
    Coming from a 1911, you may prefer an exposed hammer? Almost any of the suggested 9mm will also be lighter than what you are used to. I've been asking some of these same questions so I appreciate your post. As mentioned, there's lots of knowledge and lots of opinions on this forum.

wahlspyder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    I have a P239 in .40S&W. Fits nice in the hand, shoots well, and is dead reliable. That being said, its for sale because my Glock 23 does all the same, is lighter, and has a better trigger. The Sig is a work of art, the Glock is a tool. Can't comment on the Kahr.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I can't offer much.

I'm completely unfamiliar with the Kahr but I can recommend the Sig by reputation as I have a 228 that I'm becoming more and more fond of. reliable and very accurate. :yesway: Seals picked SIG over the Beretta and that is a pretty good endorsement in my book. I just bought a Springfield XD9 from 21st Century and I'm pretty happy with that one too.. Especially for the handsome price of $375 out the door.:D
    Lots of good choices. Not a bad position to be in unless you have trouble making decisions.;)

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    I know both the weapons you mention you're looking at are great. If I were in your shoes I would shoot both side by side and then sleep on it.

Top Bottom