Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

If some of you remember, on Apr 26, 2008, my neighbor's dog charged me and was "red," that state of total attack in which the dog is committed to the attack run and will potentially turn on anyone who tries to stop it.

I almost ended up having to put the dog down.

I'm in the market for a certain new truck, another Jeep to be precise, and I was gone trying to find one today. When I came back home, I saw both neighbor and dog were out.

So I figured I'd do what I'd been waiting to do: I got a bit more proactive. Went inside and got some Milk Bones, and walked over to the neighbors'. (For clarification, the wait was to make sure the neighbor was totally cooled off).

Sure 'nuff, doggy saw me and began its barking. Since it had not gone red yet, I stopped it from doing so by using a couple doggy psychology tricks I've picked up over the years.

After the dog stopped bluffing, I knelt down and let him sniff around me. I had a Milk Bone but he would not eat from my hand. The sniffing went on for several minutes before pups there was comfortable taking food from me.

He got food as a reward for deciding that I was no threat.

Then I got on to ignoring him, claimed my ground, and started talking to the neighbor. If the dog got excited, I corrected him. If he was good, he'd get half a small Milk Bone.

Neighbor couldn't figure out why the dog saw me as a threat in the first place (I tend to be imposing, and the dog was likely picking up on my neighbor's feelings, at least this time). As well, he couldn't figure out why the dog was coming around to liking me so fast and seemed nervous about it. Couldn't have him nervous as the dog would have picked up on it, so I began explaining each step as I did it. The neighbor found a lot of how I've been trained to handle dogs fascinating.

When I left, I was that dog's new best friend and acknowledged dominant. He was doing exactly what I wanted: calm, submissive state. I didn't make him lay down on the ground on his side as I would have done most of the time, but he was definitely showing submission: ears back, tail between legs, and licking my chin from underneath.

Methinks he as a new favorite person in me.

FYI: This doggy is a Rott/Lab mix, both high energy dogs, which explains away some of the behavior. I still feel the dog is a firecracker, but no longer a threat, not that I'll let my guard down, but Milk Bones will be carried with me to reinforce good behavior if the pups should come to visit.

Good deal all around. I'm happy with the outcome.

Josh <><

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Awesome!

My dog's a Lab/rott or GSD mix (pound dog), but she's MAYBE 35 pounds, and everytime she meets a new person/dog, goes 100% submissive onto her belly and lets them go to her. It's pretty good.

Glad you got it worked out, and that you can have a better relationship with your neighbor

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    good encounter but obviously you have never come across a pack of cheesburger attacking dachshunds! milkbones usually don't work but a bag of good old Ronald McDonald heart sludge usually does the trick however I would still advise approaching with extreme caution due to their ability to take down your big toe on command!

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    My dog psychology tricks start with using a firm boot then moves to salt and transitions right through steel shot and ends at lead.

For what purpose???

There is a deer processor I stopped using years back when I still hunted them, because he pulled back and kicked his dog, a Lab, as hard as he could in the ribs.

The dog wanted attention. Labs tend to be loyal and affectionate.

I do not hold with folks who kick dogs for any reason. If they need shot, then they are shot. If not, then they're easy enough to handle, even the meanest ones, if they've not gone red.

Under what circumstances to you kick a person's dog??? Maybe I'm just misunderstanding you, and you do it strictly from a defensive viewpoint. But then, why the salt and steel shot?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Tyler,

The fella I learned from was a student of that guy's teacher, different class though.

The thing I have against The Dog Whisperer is that certain parts that don't seem crucial are left on the cutting room floor.

I assure you, they are crucial, and if left out, you can get very hurt.

Josh <><

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    For what purpose???

Under what circumstances to you kick a person's dog??? Maybe I'm just misunderstanding you, and you do it strictly from a defensive viewpoint. But then, why the salt and steel shot?

You are misunderstanding. First off it is called sarcasm. Second, If a dog is being overly aggressive with me this how you respond. Call it escalation of force if it makes more sense.

Bushido Devil Dog get a since of flipping humor. And thank you for the negative rep for that. :D

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Dogs can sense....us.

I think it would be difficult, at least for me, to both be cautious/guarded/wary AND not be nervous to the point that the dog would sense it and either take advantage or match the "energy level"

Anyhow... Kudos to you! Hopefully you and your neighbor/dog can make good of the situation and there won't be any more incidents like you had previously!

-J-

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    You are misunderstanding. First off it is called sarcasm. Second, If a dog is being overly aggressive with me this how you respond. Call it escalation of force if it makes more sense.

Bushido Devil Dog get a since of flipping humor. And thank you for the negative rep for that. :D

Sorry, the sarcasm didn't come through in type! I just tried to give you a green cookie to make up for the other one; if it didn't take, let me know and I'll just rep you in another post!

I guess I do not see the need for escalation of force when it comes to animals. People, yes, but even then it usually goes too fast in a civilian/private citizen situation for escalation of force.

There are always exceptions.

Again, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Josh <><

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    its all fun and games till you get bit and it rips a finger off...

Dogs can sense....us.

I think it would be difficult, at least for me, to both be cautious/guarded/wary AND not be nervous to the point that the dog would sense it and either take advantage or match the "energy level"

Anyhow... Kudos to you! Hopefully you and your neighbor/dog can make good of the situation and there won't be any more incidents like you had previously!

-J-

Dogs can sense confidence. The pack leader is always on the alert for challengers and for invaders into the pack's territory, but is not nervous.

Condition yellow should not be a state of nervous energy, but rather a relaxed state in which your awareness is heightened.

Best way to get there is to be scratchin' a doggy. Calms ya' but lets ya' look around. :)

Josh <><

JBrockman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Amity, Johnson Count
    I have a 85 pound white boxer that when SHTF I would trust more then most of the people I know. Have had a episode where I confronted someone I did not want on my property and I honestly believe this guy was more worried about Duke then he was my .357. Unlike most people a good dog is trustworty to the bitter end and will not leave your back open to attack, and I would show him the same if I see someone going to hurt him intentionally they had better be right with the good Lord!

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    So what would you do if your dog ran off your property to attack a person who was minding his own business?

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    So what would you do if your dog ran off your property to attack a person who was minding his own business?

Mine won't unless I say. I actually raise German Shepherds my pack will have anywhere from 3 to 9 at anytime. The male I trust to obey the rest I hope they follow his lead. I work them all but he is my favorite and he is just one of those rare animals you may only get to experience once in a lifetime. I like your advice but I caution inexperienced people from trying these techniques unless you see it done in person.

picture.php

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    USMC,

I understand.

I had a German Shepherd much like yours when I was a teenager. She died while I was away at college, and she was the best dog I had ever had.

Couple gangbanger wannabes - The White Fence Posse, IIRC, bunch of farm boys from school! - showed up at my rural house one day while I was alone.

Shep sat right next to me, watching... I never had to pull the Ruger Single Six I had tucked into my SOB... She just intimidated the living hell out of them by sitting and staring.

Regardless, any dog can get out of control. All have certain triggers that are as natural as breathing. My current dog, Nikki, is still young, and I'm working with her on those triggers to dull them, but they'll never be fully gone, 'cause she's a dog.

My question was directed at JBrockman, though. If I'm walking along and his dog runs out, attacks me, and I have to defend myself, what will he do?

I believe making blanket statements are irresponsible at best, and dangerous at worst.

I do not question your training methods, USMC, as I do not know you at all. I'm confident in mine.

However, I'm sure you'll agree that there are a LOT of folks out there who think they know what they're doing - until their dog mauls someone.

My neighbor is a perfect example of this. I saw him the other day correcting his dog in the manner in which I had done! Guess it worked a bit better than his methods...

Regardless, that dog was happy to see me again, even without treats, and knows the boundaries: I give attention when I want to, no demands, and no jumping on me. Both are disrespectful to the alpha.

Additionally, he is not allowed to touch me unless I give him permission. A touch from a dog - like a nudge of the nose - is the dog trying to dominate, and you must touch the dog back. Still going through this dominance thing with Nikki, but as I said, she's young and still being trained. She's just extremely affectionate, but she'll start demanding attention, and that's a no-go.

But I'm off on a tangent, and my question to JBrockman stands. If he loses control of his dog, and his dog seriously injures a person, is he willing to accept the responsibility? I know someone who was seriously mauled by his bulldog when said dog was already red and he tried to stop the dog. Nicest dog you'd ever want to meet, but instinct took over.

So how about it, JBrockman?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    That brings up a very interesting dilemma.

A lot of years ago, I stranded my truck in the snow at night. I dug it out and found a pull off to park in. No big deal, I was a mile from home. I grabbed the flashlight and the 1911 to head for the house. 1/4 mile up the 1 lane gravel road I heard vicious barking that I could tell was moving around untied. The dark house, with the dog, was a lot closer to the road than I was to it.

It was a tough situation to figure out. If the dog was vicious and came into the road I could take it out. However, if that happened, what could I expect from the house, way out in the sticks at night?

I went back to my truck and thought about things for a while. Luckily, I devised a plan that worked, duct taping a lit road flare to a shovel handle. I trotted by the house, crazy barking dog running, then called in by the then lit up house.

The question is, what if I didn't have the flare? It's been years since I've carried them in my vehicles or even seen them for sale.

What if you have to shoot someone's dog out of fear of an attack?

Top Bottom