• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -XL-

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    God Bless this brave neighbor for trying to stop his neighbor's house from being burglarized. :patriot:
    -----
    Link:
    Police: Resident, Burglar Traded Shots In Confrontation - Indiana News Story - WRTV Indianapolis

INDIANAPOLIS -- A neighbor of a home that was being burglarized confronted the two men and exchanged gunfire with one of them Friday morning, police said.

The incident happened a little after 9 a.m. in the 3600 block of North Donald Avenue, on Indianapolis' northwest side.

Indianapolis police said the neighbor saw two men who appeared to be casing the home before one of them kicked in the front door and they went inside.

The neighbor confronted the burglars as they carried a large box full of Christmas gifts out of the house, Lt. Jeff Duhamell said.

One of the men, a slim, black male who was wearing a red hooded sweatshirt and tan pants, pulled a handgun and fired at the neighbor, striking him in the hand.

The neighbor, whose name wasn't released, then fired his own gun, but didn't know if the burglar was hit, investigators said.

Police said the neighbor suffered minor injuries and was treated at the scene.

The second man involved in the burglary was described as black and slim. He was wearing a multi-colored jacket and dark jeans.

Police said the men left the scene on foot. Officers searched for the burglars but were not able to find them.

The items that were taken from the home were left in the front yard. Four Indianapolis public schools were locked down for a short time after the incident.

Police asked anyone with information to call Crime Stoppers at 317-262-TIPS

Last edited:

-XL-

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    People who live in not-nice neighborhoods have an even more urgent need for self defense and firearms.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    One of the men, a slim, black male who was wearing a red hooded sweatshirt and tan pants, pulled a handgun and fired at the neighbor, striking him in the hand.

Are they 100% sure this wasn't Obama's wife?

:D

Josh <><

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'm glad everything turned out OK in this situation, but I don't think I would've personally acted the same.

Arming yourself and then going next door to investigate makes the "self-defense" pill a bit tougher to swallow. Did he think his neighbors were in grave danger? Or did he see them carting out "stuff" and say "hey, you can't take that!"

I would've armed myself, stayed in my home, called the Police, and made sure they didn't come knocking down MY door.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Good on him! Sorry he was injured, but all it takes is one person to stand for what is right to make others take stock in their situations. More neighbors like this mean less crime overall!

blainepoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 25, 2008
    Hamiltonian
    I'm glad everything turned out OK in this situation, but I don't think I would've personally acted the same.

Arming yourself and then going next door to investigate makes the "self-defense" pill a bit tougher to swallow. Did he think his neighbors were in grave danger? Or did he see them carting out "stuff" and say "hey, you can't take that!"

I would've armed myself, stayed in my home, called the Police, and made sure they didn't come knocking down MY door.

:+1:

My thoughts exactly unless I knew for a fact that they were home and in danger. Nobody's life is worth a handful of electronics, etc.
    ~Poe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    :+1:

My thoughts exactly unless I knew for a fact that they were home and in danger. Nobody's life is worth a handful of electronics, etc.
    ~Poe

No, I wouldn't go looking for the crook to protect my neighbor, either. The phone call to the police would suffice.

Now, if that same crook decides to illegally come into my home after a handful of electronic devices then, to me, he has valued his life at whatever the cost of replacing those items is. Is he willing to take a load of #8 shot in his keister from my shotgun for the lowly price of a twelve year old television and a cheap DVD player?

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    No, I wouldn't go looking for the crook to protect my neighbor, either. The phone call to the police would suffice.

Now, if that same crook decides to illegally come into my home after a handful of electronic devices then, to me, he has valued his life at whatever the cost of replacing those items is. Is he willing to take a load of #8 shot in his keister from my shotgun for the lowly price of a twelve year old television and a cheap DVD player?
    So you are saying you wouldn't act to protect your neighbor's life? I suppose you wouldn't risk your safety to save your neighbor from a fire either? Glad you are not my neighbor.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    How so?

Originally Posted by Blue Tile Spook

I interpret this to mean he would not confront an assailant to protect his neighbor. If I am incorrect then I will humbly apologize.

And bad morning, just little sleep and getting up at 3am to come to work :D

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    Remember the guy in Texas that shot two thieves that were robbing the neighbor after he called 911? Story would have been better if the two thieves were left lying on the front lawn, although I don't know if it would have ended well for the protector of the neighborhood.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I think everyone can agree that it is important to be allies and assistants to our neighbors whenever possible. I would think however, that if someone knew the neighbor wasnt home, that calling the police and holing up in your own house is the best approach. There isnt much sense getting into a gunfight to protect some property. If there was reason to suspect that the neighbor WAS home, and in need of assistance, and you have the ability to provide that assistance, then by all means go help.

I would never say the guy in the story did the wrong thing, but without more information we could say that it is possible he didnt do the rightest thing. Congrats to the guy for making it out alive, and double congrats if he kept his neighbors from harm.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I 100% agree and have done the same when I found my neighbors house unsecured. However if any of my neighbors (even the ones I don't like) are in danger I will render whatever aid I can.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I think everyone can agree that it is important to be allies and assistants to our neighbors whenever possible. I would think however, that if someone knew the neighbor wasnt home, that calling the police and holing up in your own house is the best approach. There isnt much sense getting into a gunfight to protect some property. If there was reason to suspect that the neighbor WAS home, and in need of assistance, and you have the ability to provide that assistance, then by all means go help.

I would never say the guy in the story did the wrong thing, but without more information we could say that it is possible he didnt do the rightest thing. Congrats to the guy for making it out alive, and double congrats if he kept his neighbors from harm.

+1 Good post.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    also should be of note that having a gun doesnt mean you have the ability to provide the nessecary assitance. A gun is but a single part of the equation. Adding more good people to a gunfight is not always the best alternative.

blainepoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 25, 2008
    Hamiltonian

Well, I guess I should have qualified that by saying that my next door neighbor is my bro-in-law and his family including three little girls...I'd go in there barehanded if I had too...it would be a tough call if it was a non-relative and you were unsure if they were home or not...the other significant risk you take is if you call 911 then go you may get mixed up as the perp.

Top Bottom