• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Have you ever had a negligent dishcarge?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    When I hear Kirk's story of his alleged AD I'm never satisfied: what really caused it? Dirty, sticky, bent firing pin? Faulty design? Sensitive primer?

There some negligence somewhere along the line - it might not be shooter negligence - but I want to know why exactly it did what it did.

I've might've missed where he stated what the diagnosis was, but point me to that please. Otherwise it's still an unknown ND in my mind.

Unplanned pregnancies are not accidents either, just two people negligently using their parts for...

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I personally have never had, and hope to never have a ND or an AD.

I did see a guy shot by a gun that no one was touching at the time that it discharged. We were at a New Years eve party at a bar and the guy took his RG 38 revolver from his waistband (not in a holster), and put it in his front pocket, he then squated down to talk to someone at our table, when he stood up, the gun discharged. The bullet entered his upper thigh, right about where the boys hang out, and exited just above his knee. He took the gun out of his pocket and handed it to me, I took the gun out to my car and unloaded it and secured it in my trunk, I did notice that someone had installed a trigger shoe on the gun, about the dumbest thing you can install on a carry gun (A trigger shoe is used on target guns, usually making the trigger wider than the trigger guard).
    The only explanation we could come up with for the gun discharging was, when he put the gun in his pocket, the hammer caught on something and cocked the gun, when he stood up the gun dropped down in his pocket and rubbed the trigger causing the gun to discharge.
    A lot of things were wrong with this ND or AD, the first was carrying an RG, the next was not having it holstered, the third was installing a trigger shoe on a carry gun.
    As an added note to this story; I did go to the hospital and was with the guy when they cleaned and dressed the wound, they scrubbed the wound out with what appeared too be a giant Q-tip. It all made me a more cautious person when handling guns.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I had one. I swear I checked the chamber of my dads MKII pistol, but I pointed it out the garage door, and pulled the trigger. Just so happened that I was pointing at my dog and didnt even realize it. The gun went off and he came running up to me with a bloody leg. Needless to say, I was more than freaked out, and cant even bring myself to dry fire a gun anymore.

Lupin3rd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Anyone find it suspicious that some of the replies are along the lines of, "Oh of course I'VE never had a ND but I have this friend..."

Also, I need a ruling guys. Say you're at the range, on the firing line, weapon pointed in a safe direction and you're 100% sure your chamber is empty. You pull the trigger and BANG!, chamber wasn't near as empty as you thought it was. Bullet goes down range safely and is stopped by the back berm.

Is this a negligent discharge? On one hand, this is a "booger-hook" malfunction. On the other hand, all range rules were followed and the discharge did not result in misuse of range facilities. If this is a ND, then this question is strictly hypothetical. If it's not a ND then I've totally done this before.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    My incident was where I got to experience a 1/2 oz micro pull on a anschutz. I repositioned the rifle, my finger parallel to the trigger " covering" the side was enough to send a round to the trees, i couldnt believe how sensitive the trigger was. Noone else was at the bench except me and the owner, he chuckles i told ya the trigger was light!

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    not yet, hopefully i do not jinx myself in saying so. playing paintball there have been quite a few, forget gun is on, bump trigger (trigger is about as tough as clicking a mouse). luckily thats why we have barrel bags, ball hits bag, busts, no damage done.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Assuming pellet guns count. I think I shared this back when it happened:

Was at Gander killing time, and took a look at their pellet guns. A box was open on the shelf, so I picked up the rifle and looked it over. Dumb me decided to test the trigger, even though there was NO way to tell if it had been pumped/cocked or loaded. POP!!!! Yep, someone had opened the box, cocked it, and put it back in the box with the safety off. I was a little embarrassed.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    not yet, hopefully i do not jinx myself in saying so. playing paintball there have been quite a few, forget gun is on, bump trigger (trigger is about as tough as clicking a mouse). luckily thats why we have barrel bags, ball hits bag, busts, no damage done.

Barrel bags only help when you are not on the field. I was reffing a game once when my wife slid into a bunker, finger on the trigger, and popped the guy in the bunker in front of her in the back of the head (maybe 10-15' away). Poor kid turned green, rolled over and :puke:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    There is no such thing as an accidental discharge!

Yes, there is, let's ask Steve Malloy.

Don't we have a Hoosier shooter that was gut shot with a SKS because of an AD?

Ask INGO's Wolfeman about witnessing someone loading a Glock 23 and it going bang.

Read the dozens of threads I have started about people loading or dropping guns and the firearms discharging.

Ask me about the 870 at Shootrite. Go ahead, ask me.:D

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    When I hear Kirk's story of his alleged AD I'm never satisfied: what really caused it? Dirty, sticky, bent firing pin? Faulty design? Sensitive primer?

There some negligence somewhere along the line - it might not be shooter negligence - but I want to know why exactly it did what it did.

I've might've missed where he stated what the diagnosis was, but point me to that please. Otherwise it's still an unknown ND in my mind.

Unplanned pregnancies are not accidents either, just two people negligently using their parts for...

When two cars hit each other what do you call that?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I personally have never had, and hope to never have a ND or an AD.

I did see a guy shot by a gun that no one was touching at the time that it discharged. We were at a New Years eve party at a bar and the guy took his RG 38 revolver from his waistband (not in a holster), and put it in his front pocket, he then squated down to talk to someone at our table, when he stood up, the gun discharged. ...

The gun was being touched - just not by hands. Same thing as the Chicago PD chick whose gun in her purse discharged when she laid it down.

Someone tell me of a situation of a firearm that discharges with no external influence. That means no dropping, handling or scooching.

Personally, I'm on Kirk's side of the fence AD happens when firearm discharges w/o negligent action at that time or faulty/shoddy assembly from the user.

Drop gun because of Mexican Carry = ND
    Sand down sear too much = ND
    Sear wears out from years of use = AD
    Jimenez POS slam fires = AD (mfgr is negligent, shooter is not)

In short - "Is gun, is not safe"

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    When two cars hit each other what do you call that?

When two cars hit each other someone is responsible. Someone IS responsible. "Car accident" is a misnomer.

"Sorry lady, it was an accident", doesn't fly. Negligence causes accidents.

Someone's negligence caused kirk's 870 to discharge accidentally. I have yet to hear a satisfying explanation to where that negligence might have beeen.

Top Bottom