• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mtinner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2014
    somewhere in ohio
    I'm new to this forum and have not contributed much with comments, but have been reading a lot and learning a lot from you guys. Now I need some help. I'm pretty new to guns and I think I want a Ruger gp100. I found one at a gun dealer today. It's a brand new 357 GP100 with 3" barrel in Stainless steel. I can buy it for $629.00 plus tax. I would be using it mostly at the shooting range, but would also like this to be my primary home defense gun. Help me out, talk me into it or talk me out of it. Thanks

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    You won't mind Ruger firearms. They are great. Have several and they never disappoint. I like the 357 option, you can shoot 38's for cost and fun and the magnums for training and home defense. Not a bad choice. IMO

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Get a 4" or a 6" in a GP100 if it's primarily a home defense or range gun.

No point in the 3" unless it's a clapp model or if you're going to be carrying it.

mtinner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2014
    somewhere in ohio
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to a gun show tomorrow and if I don't find anything there, I'll get back to the dealer. Are all 3" Ruger gp100's in Stainless Steel Wiley Capp?

mtinner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2014
    somewhere in ohio
    Just got back from the gun show and was able to pick the one up that I've wanted. Ruger GP 100, stainless steel, 4" barrel. NIB $595.00 out the door. Pick up some 38 special ammo while I was there. I wanted to start out with 38's first and move up to 357 after I shot a few rounds thru it. Another question, what's the best ammo out there for practice and home defense in both calibers?
    Thanks a lot you guys for your information.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Just got back from the gun show and was able to pick the one up that I've wanted. Ruger GP 100, stainless steel, 4" barrel. NIB $595.00 out the door. Pick up some 38 special ammo while I was there. I wanted to start out with 38's first and move up to 357 after I shot a few rounds thru it. Another question, what's the best ammo out there for practice and home defense in both calibers?
    Thanks a lot you guys for your information.

Good choice! I think the 4" GP100 is my favorite variation. Best balance and hand feel IMHO.

As for ammo. For practice, what ever cheap FMJ stuff is available. Just get some different brands and see what it shoots the best. I like Federal's American Eagle line. Good ammo at a good price.

For carry ammo, Again you will just have to get a few different brands and see what it shoots the best. Unfortunately this can get expensive since Self Defense ammo is high dollar. But one box of twenty should tell you what you need to know about how it shoots that ammo.

A big plus with .357 is the variety of hunting ammo that is available. If it works on 4 legged critters it will work on 2 legged ones too. So don't discount it just because it isn't labeled as Self Defense or Home Defense ammo.

Good luck and happy shooting!

Last edited:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I'm responding a little late here... but GOOD BUY!
    I love the 4" variety. Adjustable sights and good barrel length for ballistics. I'm a new GP100 owner myself. Check out YouTube videos for trigger jobs and springs if you are interested in improving the trigger.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I'm a S&W guy, just don't like the Ruger 'look'. But they're undoubtedly great revolvers, shoot well, durable, etc.

As for ammo for self-defense, there's 'only' like a gazillion (no, really, a gazillion, I counted!) choices out there. I typically advise Students to carry what the LEO's carry, 'cause it negates an 'accusation' from some dipstick prosecutor that the good guy is 'bad' because he uses 'killer bullets'. Particularly if you're carrying the same ammo the local police (or your County, or your State, or Federal) carry.

Do ya 'have' to limit yourself to that? Nope. But, being the litigious country we are, every bit helps.

Top Bottom