• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    I would suggest looking for a place you like in Fountain Square. I-70 runs right through it so it's an easy on and off. There are a bunch of good places in Fountain Square.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    East or west side of indy close to 70 is preferred. Nothing super expensive but wanting good food...

If you like Mexican, there's several good places near I-70 and I-465 on the west side. Gil's Tacos at Minnesota/Lynnhurst is really good, but there's very little seating inside. Tamale Place on Lynnhurst/Rockville is solid.

John's Famous Stew has been recommended to me by a ton of people but I haven't been and can't vouch for it myself. It's still west side but closer to downtown, Kentucky/Morris area.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    The Tamale Place is great if you want good tamales or tacos. Not the greatest atmosphere inside but not horrible.

Ricks Café is pretty good. It has been a few years since I have been there and always ate outside but food was good.

Another place to check out is Teds Montana grill. I haven't been there but have heard it is pretty good. It is a bit further north though.

If you don't mind going to Avon, Opa! has some great Greek food.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    So far...

My parents are on their way through Indiana, traveling down (sideways?) I-70. They would like to meet somewhere on the east or west side of indy for a nice, sit down meal. Cracker barrel has been the only thing that meets the east/west criteria, but my mom likes food that's a little more upscale. My dad likes good burgers, they both like Italian, Mexican, Asian, Indian, places along those lines.
    Something to consider is that with the construction downtown, you cant just drive I70 through Indy right now. They will have to take the loop around anyway unless you are actually going to downtown. Look at restaurants along the loop also. just figure out if you want north or south side. South would be shorter for them but longer for you if coming from Kokomo

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    Not too far off the beaten path…Mt Comfort exit North to Goodfellas Brick Oven Pizzeria and Italian or Mt Comfort Exit up 67 to the booming Metropolis of Fortville to Fox Gardin. Much nicer, less congested areas where you can sit down and enjoy a good meal with the family.

If you decide to come further North, I would have other suggestions as well.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Man, I've racked my brain and can't think of a single place that I would call any more upscale than Cracker Barrel that is on the east or west side of Indy and near I-70. Unless you don't mind a chain and consider the aformentioned Longhorn Steakhouse or maybe Olive Garden more upscale. There is an Olive Garden on the east side on Washington Street, just off of I-465, couple miles south of I-70. I like Olive Garden, but I'm a simple man.

I'll preface this by saying that I've never been there, but a couple of friends have told me that Rick's Cafe Boatyard is good, if you want seafood. Sort of a more upscale setting as well, it's on Eagle Creek Reservoir. It's about 9 miles north of I-70 off of I-465 on the west side. Maybe someone who has been there can chime in.

I like Rick's pretty well and would be a decent choice. It's not cheap, but not crazy priced. They have a good selection of types of food.

If Avon is not too far, I hear a lot of folks (including my wife) like Opa https://opaavonin.com/
    I'm not a fan of Greek food so it is not my thing.

Cooper's Hawk opened in Avon. I have not been (my wife has). I hear it is expensive, but is an upper scale restaurant in the area. I can't personally speak to how good it is.

Charbono's in Avon, or Stone Creek Dining Company in Plainfield (been a bit since I've been to Stone Creek but were good in the past). Both are owned by the same company. Been a bit since I've been but like both.

Sal's Pizzeria in Plainfield is good and has a good selection of Italian food beyond Pizza. (Check their hours and days that they are open)

Again, a bit further and would depend if one likes Thai food, but Thai District in Brownsburg is excellent, but it's a bit further than my other suggestions.

Last edited:

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    This past Monday the wife and I had some business Monday morning in Merrillville. Decided to get a nice breakfast beforehand. The restaurant we were hoping to hit in downtown Hobart is closed on Mondays. We forgot that. Headed out to Merrillville and hit the IHOP. Haven't been there is a long time. Won't ever be going back. I had a denver omelette, the wife had french toast with a side of bacon, and of course coffee. Our bill was $36! I doubled check the bill to make sure. We haven't been out for breakfast in a while. That seemed expensive. And the food was ok. The thing that got me is the place was packed.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I like Rick's pretty well and would be a decent choice. It's not cheap, but not crazy priced. They have a good selection of types of food.

If Avon is not too far, I hear a lot of folks (including my wife) like Opa https://opaavonin.com/
    I'm not a fan of Greek food so it is not my thing.

Cooper's Hawk opened in Avon. I have not been (my wife has). I hear it is expensive, but is an upper scale restaurant in the area. I can't personally speak to how good it is.

Charbono's in Avon, or Stone Creek Dining Company in Plainfield (been a bit since I've been to Stone Creek but were good in the past). Both are owned by the same company. Been a bit since I've been but like both.

Sal's Pizzeria in Plainfield is good and has a good selection of Italian food beyond Pizza. (Check their hours and days that they are open)

Again, a bit further and would depend if one likes Thai food, but Thai District in Brownsburg is excellent, but it's a bit further than my other suggestions.
    I've been to Cooper's Hawk in Avon. The food was good, it is very expensive. I took my wife there before Christmas for a nice dinner. I didn't know it was going to be as expensive as it was. The prices are on par with Ruth Chris or St. Elmos.

Sal's in Plainfield is where I usually take my wife for celebration dinners. Great place, really good food.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Man, I've racked my brain and can't think of a single place that I would call any more upscale than Cracker Barrel that is on the east or west side of Indy and near I-70. Unless you don't mind a chain and consider the aformentioned Longhorn Steakhouse or maybe Olive Garden more upscale. There is an Olive Garden on the east side on Washington Street, just off of I-465, couple miles south of I-70. I like Olive Garden, but I'm a simple man.

I'll preface this by saying that I've never been there, but a couple of friends have told me that Rick's Cafe Boatyard is good, if you want seafood. Sort of a more upscale setting as well, it's on Eagle Creek Reservoir. It's about 9 miles north of I-70 off of I-465 on the west side. Maybe someone who has been there can chime in.

I almost posted Rick's but it's a fair distance from I-70 so I didn't. Another good choice.

Top Bottom