• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Jasper county
    Hey everybody need some advice on this. Like title says I have a savage model 10 round top reciver. Rifle is brand new never been fired. Went to mount my scope base and cant get it level. Looked at it closer and front hole is about 1/16 to the right off center. I had a few ideas on how to fix it but I am not sure what would be best. Dont really like the idea of welding and retapping, I was wondering if it would be possible to mount base with back 3 holes and then redrill the front one with a slightly bigger drillbit enveloping the old hole. Then retap and have the front just be a bigger screw. Any other ideas would be appericated as well as a smith that could be trusted to do this. Wanting to build a long range rig so I want this to be done right. Thanks ingo

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Jasper county
    Sorry forgot to mention its out of warranty, its been about 3 years since it was bought and savage only has a one year warranty. So I would likely have to pay them anyways and dont really like the idea of shipping it or the wait. Would rather take it to a trusted local smith. Im in nwi and dont mind driving 2-3 hours to find a good smith.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    The only thing a gunsmith will be able to do is tig weld the holes back closed, grind it smooth, drill and retap. On top of this, you have to hope the weld doesn't heat the reciever up too much. I would contact savage. It is a manufacturing defect and they will likely cover it.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I was wondering if it would be possible to mount base with back 3 holes and then redrill the front one with a slightly bigger drillbit enveloping the old hole.
    No, you cannot do this without ruining your base and further mucking up your gun because the drill bit will try to follow the old hole. To do this properly you would need to use an end-mill, the setup time alone in a machine shop is going to make sending this back to Savage the best option. Call them, explain that it's a few years old but you just took it out of the box. They will likely tell you to send it in and you will likely not be charged.

FWIW, if you want to fudge the truth a bit you could always tell them you just purchased the gun. Its not uncommon for guns sit on the shelf of gunshops for quite some time. I once purchased a new, old stock Sig handgun from an individual on a net forum. 2 weeks later I learned that Sig was running a promotion of $100 off Sig gear on their website for every handgun purchase. I sent them the model/serial along with my information to get the "promo code" and they called and said, "That gun is showing as manufactured over 4 years ago, can you provide a 4473 as proof of recent purchase?" I obliged and they honored the promotion.

Top Bottom