Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

I'd like your opinion here.

I've worked up a load for my 1911, 185gn LSWC (very hard lead) over 6.3gn +/- .1 of Win 231. Primer is Remington LPP.

I'm not going any higher and I'm showing absolutely no pressure signs whatsoever.

Max listed is 5.9gn Win 231. However, some jacketed 185gn loads list 7.5gn Win 231 max. I have no leading going on.

Do you folks have any thoughts on this load?

Thanks,

Josh <><

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Don't go beyond max - ever.

In my experience, lead pils take less powder because there is a better barrel seal due to the oversized heads. For example, jacketed .40 S&W heads are sized .400", lead is sized to .401" or .402". That extra .001" can make huge differences with pressure in fast burning powders (or any powder for that matter).

IMO - you're asking for trouble. I'm not even going to get into the temperature sensitivity of W231.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Thank you.

I've brought it back down after consulting you, and some others.

It was actually a load I found on reloading.com (I think that's the website; I have it set to come up in a tab on Firefox when I open it).

If you would, can you expound upon the temp sensitivity? My manuals do not address Win 231/HP-38 (supposedly the same now) specifically, only general mention is made.

Thanks,

Josh <><

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    I've stated before that in a low pressure round such as the 45 acp you will not see any of the old wives tale pressure signs. The first sign will be the explosion that ends your loading career. You're loading above and beyond any reasonable maximum listed load and in an effort to achieve what? BTW; listed load does not refer to what some moron posted on some internet forum. It refers to documented, and proven information.

If you learn nothing else, at least learn this. The goal of handloading is to achieve maximum accuracy and controlability, and this will never be done with proven and reliable maximum or above loads.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    W231/HP38 gets hotter as temps rise. You could be fine with that load now when it is ~55 deg. Shoot that on a 90 deg day - I don't want to guess.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Seems pretty hot to me. You might be fine for a while but get a weak case or slightly oversized bullet and BLAMMO! Do you cast your own bullets or are the "Store Bought"?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    FWIW, I have used 6.1 gr of 231 with 185 LSWC bullets for many years and 5.7 gr of 231 with 200 LSWC bullets with absolutely no problems. I doubt that an extra .2 grains of 231 would make it a dangerous load.

I have a manual that lists 6.1 gr of 231 behind a 230 FMJ as a +P load.

As the others have stated, you are are your own if you stray from published load data, but the 45 ACP is very forgiving in my experience.

I haven't had any problem with what is essentially, your load. Since I don't weigh every charge, some may be more than yours..Or less....

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Thanks folks.

Colt556, I get most of my bullets (and all cast) from Missouri Bullet Company.

Josh <><

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Yes, I was invited to shoot a couple IDPA matches this summer - If we can pull it off.

I've never been a fan of the 200gr weight - I know it was JMB's original, but it feels "wrong" somehow when I'm shooting it.

I have 500 of these things, and would like to get rid of 'em as I do prefer the 230gr hardcast, but the 230gn is a LRN and I like SWC for comp.

I'm easily running minor right now; if I can safely make major, all the better, if not, no big deal.

I just figure the 1911 platform has a bit of extra strength (it will handle the .45 Super, for example, though with special cases) and I figure the way mine's set up, it won't batter it too bad at all. It's built to handle GI and warmish defense loadings.

Josh <><

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I have never heard of anyone chronographing a .45acp at a competition to check velocity, in an effort to contest major vs minor power factor. If you are shooting a .45 you will be scored as major power factor. When I used to compete in IPSC I shot A 9MM for awhile and tried in vain to reach major power factor with my reloads but it just couldn't be accomplished safely so I switched to 38 super and power factor was never a question as it never was questioned with .45ACP... The only reason to try and shoot a hot load in a .45 was to speed up the cycle rate of the firearm, but there are not many casual shooters that have achieved that level of speed to where they are waiting on the pistol to cycle so they can fire their next round. And typically once this level is reached most people switch to 38 super. The advantage to shooting a .45 in competition is that you can load your ammo light and use a weaker recoil spring reducing recoil and being able to acquire the target more quickly. I have seen guys load 230gn cast bullets down to 400 or 450 fps.(Especially guys who shoot western style with a dueling tree.) I have also found these light loads to be far more accurate in most 1911's I have fired them in, and as I have never reached the point where I was so fast that the cyclic rate was an issue the lighter loads always offered the advantage of faster target acquisition due to the lessened recoil and increased my scores. One other option is just never miss the inside 4" square where major and minor power factor are scored the same. If you shoot all bull's you can't go wrong lol....:D

Top Bottom