• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tsilveus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 4, 2014
    United States
    I am currently building a 6.8 grendel (1st time grendel experience). I have completed the lower (geissele trigger and buffer tube / spring / buffer, wilson combat lower, spikes LPK, magpul stock and grip). Need ideas on the upper. I am wanting this for possible hunting and long range (600-800) target. Looking at 20 inch barrel. Prefer mid range price / tier. I have looked at Aero, Grendel Hunter, wilson combat, JP, Larue, Stag. Any that I am missing? So far I can't decide on brand (good reviews / value) with the price I would like to spend. I realize people will say that their PSA / BCA / etc is awesome but I would like this build to be a higher tier. But also don't want to pay just for a name. I am in no hurry to buy as I like to research and get great deals. I have read reviews and watched lots of videos but would like INGO's opinions. Fire away with suggestions.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    I have built with a 20" monster barrel from six five arms and also have a Grendel hunter upper. Both are better than moa with my loads and have killed deer. My monster barrel is pretty nice, but I have to trim my brass to minimum length due to an apparently short chamber. If I was buying a complete upper, I wouldn't hesitate with Grendel hunter. If I was doing it over, I would buy from GH again, but different configuration. Not a problem with them, my needs/wants changed.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I know you aren't really looking at BCA, but I wouldn't write them off. From my experience as well as family and friends, their products are good quality. I built my 6.5 Grendel with a 20 inch stainless BCA upper, and it shoots well under 1 moa with my suppressor on it at 200 yards. I don't really have anywhere to shoot farther, but I would think it would still be fine at 600 yards.

Purdue1991

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 19, 2022
    I know you aren't really looking at BCA, but I wouldn't write them off. From my experience as well as family and friends, their products are good quality. I built my 6.5 Grendel with a 20 inch stainless BCA upper, and it shoots well under 1 moa with my suppressor on it at 200 yards. I don't really have anywhere to shoot farther, but I would think it would still be fine at 600 yards.

I did a BCA upper on a 308 build. It's an MOA shooter. Can't beat it for the money.

I also just did a 6.5 Grendel build with an 18" PSA barrel, AR Stoner upper receiver and handguard, and an Aero lower. It's shooting sub-MOA. Attached is the 5 shot group. The flyer to the right is on me, not the rifle.

You don't have a spend big $$ to get a very nice shooting AR. The best money you can spend for an AR is a drop in trigger like a Rise Armament or CMC.

Attachments

• IMG_20240126_130942880 (2).jpg
      IMG_20240126_130942880 (2).jpg
      392.8 KB · Views: 1
    Last edited:

84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    I went with an 18" Hybrid barrel from Criterion. It is a very nice barrel, it has killed several deer over the past few years.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I used a BCA 20" barrel for my 6.5 Grendel.
    With Hornady 123gr SST and HPBT Match it shoots sub MOA.
    The BC on 123gr SST is .510 It's a very accurate bullet.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I built a 6.5 Grendel using a Satern 20" cut rifled barrel and Aero M4E1 receivers a couple years ago that shot in the .3's at 100 yards consistently. I put a lot of time into lapping the face of the receiver where it mates with the barrel and shimming the barrel extension to receiver junction by freezing the barrel/shim and heating up the receiver to get them together.

tsilveus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 4, 2014
    United States
    I used a BCA 20" barrel for my 6.5 Grendel.
    With Hornady 123gr SST and HPBT Match it shoots sub MOA.
    The BC on 123gr SST is .510 It's a very accurate bullet.
    Those are the bullets i planned on using. Any recommendation on brand of brass and powder? I have most relaoding info - once again just looking for real world INGO opinions.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I went with a 20" Odin Works barrel on my first build several years back. Turns out it is a heavy barrel and I would not enjoy packing it around for hunting. As far as target shooting it is great. I would suggest an 18" for a do all gun.

Dinny

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2015
    Trafalgar
    I recommend 18" Faxon barrels and ammo from Druid Hill Armory. Dave and Tom have forgotten more about loading for the Grendel than most of us will ever know.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Just FYI I spent about $1,000 on an ODIN works 6.5g barrel and nice upper, and the barrel I got was junk. Sent it back and they acknowledged it was not up to par. Didn't hunt with the rifle this year.

So you don't always get what you pay for the first time.

swampdonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Bloomington
    Why not check out the originator of the 6.8 Grendel.....Alexander Arms?
    Very nice machining, superb trigger groups, accurate barrels in a variety of lengths.
    I am a huge fan of the 6.5 Grendel and also Alexander arms! They make amazing rifles! I got my hands on the private rifle of bill Alexander after he passed, it is a custom 28 inch barrel, the only one I am aware of in the AR platform

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    I am a huge fan of the 6.5 Grendel and also Alexander arms! They make amazing rifles!
    I recently picked up a built upper from a private sale that included a 20" fluted Alexander Arms barrel, and I'm really happy with it. Felt like I couldn't miss the steel from 200 yds standing/offhand with Magpul BUIS. I'm not that good of a shooter.

Also...
    I got my hands on the private rifle of bill Alexander after he passed, it is a custom 28 inch barrel
    :postpics:

Last edited:

swampdonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Bloomington
    I recently picked up a built upper from a private sale that included a 20" fluted Alexander Arms barrel, and I'm really happy with it. Felt like I couldn't miss the steel from 200 yds standing/offhand with Magpul BUIS. I'm not that good of a shooter.

Also...

:postpics:
    You are not wrong brother! Forgive my lack of judgement! well the story is I had a chance encounter with a NC state trooper who was the nephew of bill alexander. After his passing he had been awarded the rifle. We got to talking about it and agreed to trade a very special to me M1A EBR. As a huge Grendel guy this rifle has become a safe queen but I do need to get her out and stretch her legs! I have looked and never found one quite like this!

Attachments

• IMG_6905.jpeg
      IMG_6905.jpeg
      1.1 MB · Views: 17
    • IMG_6906.jpeg
      IMG_6906.jpeg
      614.3 KB · Views: 17
    • IMG_6907.jpeg
      IMG_6907.jpeg
      621.4 KB · Views: 15
    • IMG_6908.jpeg
      IMG_6908.jpeg