• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Hi. I'm hoping one of the FFLs on the board can give me a little advice.

Last weekend, I won an online auction from Gun Broker for a long gun. Contacted a local FFL, who agreed to do the transfer. Monday came, my FFL sent a copy of their license to the seller, seller shipped it same day. Things were looking good!

Tried to contact my FFL Monday to get an update on how things work from that point. Also sent an email. Didn't hear back. Called again the next day. Didn't hear back. Contacted the seller to get UPS tracking number. They provided the number for me and the item was scheduled for a Wednesday delivery.

Wednesday comes...I track the package all day. The package is delivered late in the day, after hours. UPS website indicates package delivered and signed for by said FFL.

Thursday...I email and call said FFL, pleading for a call back. Zippo! Sent an email Friday and provided multiple phone numbers and they had my email address obviously.

It's 3 p.m. on Saturday and I have nothing from these people, other than the knowledge that my item was delivered to them three days ago.

This is the first time I've done a transfer, so I'm hoping my expectations aren't out of line, but if I had ordered a TV from HH Gregg last Saturday, it would have been here by now or someone would have said, "Hey, hang tight, we're a little behind." That's cool, I'm not a maniac nor am I going to be using the item for a competition or anything. I just want what I paid for in a reasonable (to me) amount of time. Especially when I try to give a local "mom and pop" some business over the big boys...

So, my FFL-holding friends, any advice on my expectations and the time needed to process an order in this manner? I don't want to mention the FFL by name, as they are otherwise reported to be legit and reasonable people. (they are not, to my knowledge, active on this forum, fwiw)

Not trying to be a tough guy, but a little basic customer service -- even a , two line "please hang in there, we're sorry" email - would go a long way in my eyes. The longer things go, the more frustrating it becomes.

Any input, either public or via PM is welcome. :welcome:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The first thought that comes to mind is that perhaps, esp. if this is a "mom and pop", is that his wife signed for your package, but is not a FFL and cannot do the transfer. Alone, this would not make sense, but if, God forbid, there's been a tragedy or illness in the family, I could certainly understand a delay in completing the transaction. This would not excuse a failure to even let you know, however.

Personally, I'd drive by their place of business and politely inquire in person. If necessary, you always have the Better Business Bureau as recourse, not to mention the publishing of his name amongst the firearms community with a warning. If all else fails, you can also handle this via the courts, but note that I've put that as last resort, not first action.

Good luck and Blessings,
    B

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Yeah, a friend said drive up there, be polite and just let them know what's going on. The place of business is a home in a rural area, so I'm a little hesitant, not wanting to drive up there and have some Dobermans attack me! ;)

I really don't want to start posting, "FFL X" stinks, but it's getting harder and harder to convince myself of that, especially as they have my property in their possession and haven't responded to multiple calls for "help". (Well, maybe they don't stink, but their customer service is on the cusp of stinking, frankly...)

Will likely give them another call before dark today, just saying, "Hey, I'm cool with waiting if you have an issue, but I just need to hear your voice."

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Good news, folks.

Just got a call from my FFL! We're sealing the deal tomorrow. I have a better understanding of what's cooking over there and all is well in Miguel-land.

Thanks to all involved.:)

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Does it happen to be B&D, I know they're nuts right now.

Glad you got it all worked out, and have fun with your new toy :D

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    Lesson learned here is that you need to have a relationship with your local FFL. They don't mind if you find a deal somewhere and buy it. They make a little money doing the transfer.

Don't forget that they are in business to sell things as well. Give them some of your business even if you can buy that cleaner at walmart for a buck cheaper, buy it from your dealer and help him make a sale. Most of your local guys are good guys.

If you have a local that is a pain to do business with, don't use him, but find a guy you can get along with and establish a relationship so that you can call him when you need to bring something in through a FFL.

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Lesson learned here is that you need to have a relationship with your local FFL. They don't mind if you find a deal somewhere and buy it. They make a little money doing the transfer.

Don't forget that they are in business to sell things as well. Give them some of your business even if you can buy that cleaner at walmart for a buck cheaper, buy it from your dealer and help him make a sale. Most of your local guys are good guys.

If you have a local that is a pain to do business with, don't use him, but find a guy you can get along with and establish a relationship so that you can call him when you need to bring something in through a FFL.

I agree 100% I bought 3 cleaning kits from Beech Grove Firearms, they were less then a buck more each then from a big box store but I want to support the little guy and the box store gives crappy advice.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    My thoughts exactly guys.

No harm, no foul. My first time through, so I understand the dynamics a little better now.

Thanks to all for their thoughts. Just a few more hours to wait and I will be a happy man! :)

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    The internet has made it a bit rougher for the local shops to compete, but as posted here, there are situations where the internet is worthless. My local dealer is a bit high on some stuff, but he is the second generation owner, and has things that most internet shops never knew existed. I buy online, and I also buy from him. When you develop a friendly business relationship locally, it's hard to beat.

example....... went to a gun show about 80 miles away. bought 10 boxes of 9mm for an excellent price....got home and found three boxes of .380 mixed in with the 9mm. Mentioned my lack of smarts in not checking each box, and my dealer says, I've done the same thing..... bring me the .380 stuff, and I'll trade you for some 9mm. So we traded even. Try that at someplace other than a local gun shop. ;)

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    The internet has made it a bit rougher for the local shops to compete, but as posted here, there are situations where the internet is worthless. My local dealer is a bit high on some stuff, but he is the second generation owner, and has things that most internet shops never knew existed. I buy online, and I also buy from him. When you develop a friendly business relationship locally, it's hard to beat.

example....... went to a gun show about 80 miles away. bought 10 boxes of 9mm for an excellent price....got home and found three boxes of .380 mixed in with the 9mm. Mentioned my lack of smarts in not checking each box, and my dealer says, I've done the same thing..... bring me the .380 stuff, and I'll trade you for some 9mm. So we traded even. Try that at someplace other than a local gun shop. ;)

Sounds like a stand up guy EVERYONE should do business with!

Top Bottom